Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope, it's the real one.

Tesla up to almost 90% now.

Guess only the best can vote which leaves me out. He doesn't want to share his brilliance with a loser. LoL.
Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 15.08.20.png

I can't get my hands on a cheap variant of any Tesla model here in the US, and that's likely to remain the case for a couple years. Producing and selling only high margin top of the line "iPhones of EVs". If China wants to produce all the Androids of EV's in the world, that's pretty much the desired outcome. iPhones will still command 80% of the profits with 20% of the share.
I'm not sure Tesla is able to become "iPhone of EVs". Tesla's quality and service problems may damage the reputation and brand image. Tesla has advantage on the software, but most people care more about the quality and service when they buy cars.

I'm not sure Tesla is able to become "iPhone of EVs". Tesla's quality and service problems may damage the reputation and brand image. Tesla has advantage on the software, but most people care more about the quality and service when they buy cars.

Tesla has the highest brand rating and owner satisfaction of any auto manufacturer.

How many Apple headphones, dongles, charging cables, screens, and batteries have you had to replace?

And yet more people buy Teslas than they can manufacture. Right now Tesla is the iPhone of EVs. They do need to learn how to keep people happy though. But instant torque has kept me satisfied for almost 6 years now so there is that.

Tesla's quality is on par if not better than the others. The shorts/MSM both joined in to attack Tesla's quality woes and made a huge deal about them. Their panel gaps are actually slightly above average in the industry and I have seen even new Rolls Royce with door trim misalignment. Someone posted a screenshot from a car magazine in this thread which compared all the panel gaps in the industry. Tesla sits near the middle/top. There are also youtubers with paint depth guns and went to multiple dealerships from different brands measuring paint depth(due to false information about how Tesla paint is super thin). Turns out Tesla was again within industry standard.

As for service issues, I invite you to look at all the service center google reviews across the U.S. The average is about 4.5 stars with only a handful of outliers under 4.

Also Apple had their fair share of attacks. Remember how their antenna is completely blocked if you hold the iphone 4, not to mention bendgate?

Stay objective as much as possible as you are fed anecdotes from crybabies.

Last edited:
I would love for the LR versions of the 3 and Y to get more range than they do. Something like this:

M3 LR: 440mi
MY LR: 420mi

Maybe once they get 4680 cells well into production the ranges might get bumped up a bit.
I definitely believe that we need 500-mile, even 600-mile, range vehicles on the market. Some consumers will definitely want it, but it's not for everyone... unless battery prices fall super low, like $10/kWh.

Tesla's quality is on par if not better than the others. The shorts/MSM both joined in to attack Tesla's quality woes and made a huge deal about them. Their panel gaps are actually slightly above average in the industry and I have seen even new Rolls Royce with door trim misalignment. Someone posted a screenshot from a car magazine in this thread which compared all the panel gaps in the industry. Tesla sits near the middle/top.

As for service issues, I invite you to look at all the service center google reviews across the U.S. The average is about 4.5 stars with only a handful of outliers under 4.

Stay objective as much as possible as you are fed anecdotes from crybabies.

Casting will also allow far better tolerances than is even possible with stamp-and-weld.

And yet more people buy Teslas than they can manufacture. Right now Tesla is the iPhone of EVs. They do need to learn how to keep people happy though. But instant torque has kept me satisfied for almost 6 years now so there is that.
I dare say that Apple hopes to one day become the Tesla of mobile phones.
Apple can no longer hold a candle to Tesla’s innovation . At best , it can hold Tesla’s beer.

This is pounding on one data point (one intersection) with several trees in the way of sight. It doesn't seem this bad watching others (at different intersections like this one). But it does need to do better, in time. I also get the sense Chuck plays devil's advocate and looks for issue, which is good, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is his trickiest intersection.

Likewise, I could show you how my Model Y changes lanes in a curved intersection, and last week almost hit a truck directly in the lane next to me. Scariest intervention yet! If I went through that same intersection over and over, you'd think it can't see the lines at all. So ya, the quirks are out there but I could see people never trusting unprotected lefts after watching that one, which isn't representative of this manuever IMHO.

I do think reverse will be needed. It's what humans do when we get out too far trying to see. Think about this... We're trying to tell the car to go, but it can't see, so when it does, it's too far out. That's a trap I say, impossible without reverse.
I've been thinking about this "reverse" capability coming in 10.1. Seems like there's some risk. The car inches forward to see, but is hesitant. The driver is able to use the accelerator to convince the car to go when it might not. The driver might accelerate heavily after the car peeks out to clear on coming traffic quickly. What if this scenario develops at the same time that FSD decides to back up in reverse?