Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh, I don't write well but I do know the meaning of the words. Cede is what I meant. I am, increasingly, negative on the China market. Tesla doesn't need marginal profit on any Q. They have limited capacity and are fighting for marketshare on 2 major markets. They are focused on 1 market. To an extreme extent. So if shipping a car from shanghai to Norway is more profitable than selling in china that is interesting from lots of perspectives and ...I would say at this point that Tesla is ceding the larger market. It could be they have decided not profitable (in which case...wtf did they build a factory in shanghai for) or it could be that they are waiting on a model 2 or it could be they just massively underestimated issues with chinese competitors or it could be that there are going to be issues in Europe and decided that was the battleground that was most critical to success and it has nothing to do with short term profits.

I'd be disappointed if the decision to sell cars in Europe, from China, was driven by short term profits. Interesting if they could do it but really, Tesla is production constrained so profits should be assured. Production allocations should be driven by something more strategic, fighting VW rising tide in germany or something like that.

Per Elon They ship for the first half of the quarter.

Tesla China recently opened one of the largest delivery centers.

If you believe Tesla is ceding the Chinese market and there is impending doom then certainly trade/hedge your Tesla position accordingly.

Based on the information available to me, and without putting my head in the sand regarding risk, I politely disagree with your assessment of the situation.

I'm not worried about Chinese demand until we actually see a problem. We all know that with the margins currently in Shanghai they can aggressively cut costs if they want. If we start seeing 10% price decreases on existing models, then we might be seeing a demand issue (Tesla would still make a pretty penny off those vehicles). Until something like that happens, people are looking for ghosts to be afraid of.

I'm not worried about Chinese demand until we actually see a problem. We all know that with the margins currently in Shanghai they can aggressively cut costs if they want. If we start seeing 10% price decreases on existing models, then we might be seeing a demand issue (Tesla would still make a pretty penny off those vehicles). Until something like that happens, people are looking for ghosts to be afraid of.

Mathematically, market share is growing so fast that the overall market would have to shrink a gigantic amount for overall sales not to grow. And there is alway more demand around the world that Shanghai can export to.

I can see him now as well, but I got permanently suspended because I replied to Josh Mandel that his encouraging people to not comply and get vaccinated would kill people. Twitter is crazy stupid with who they ban and dont ban.
Still blocked from the class clown....maybe its because i always tweet @ him and call him middle school names with giggle emojis.

774C458C-D139-4275-BBD2-2E9E551C37A0.jpeg

A thousand words…

Maybe, some folks may think 520 miles range is overkill and too expensive. Then again, I don't have a double Big Gulp sized bladder.

I would love for the LR versions of the 3 and Y to get more range than they do. Something like this:

M3 LR: 440mi
MY LR: 420mi

Maybe once they get 4680 cells well into production the ranges might get bumped up a bit.

Maybe, some folks may think 520 miles range is overkill and too expensive. Then again, I don't have a double Big Gulp sized bladder.
The main reasons for 520 miles is so you can drive the more scenic (or shorter) routes, or not have to go out of your way if a Supercharger location is out of service (doesn't apply to California where there are Superchargers every other block). Also when there is a large gap between Superchargers (means ~200 miles), you are still able to charge in the faster (below 80%) charging zone.