Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who woulda' thunk? 🤪

Actually, I got quite a bit of push-back right here when I suggested big auto was using chip shortages as an excuse to limit production and increase ASP's while covering up a lack of demand. When word gets out that people are not buying ICE because EV is the new thing, well, it's going to cause ICE sales to collapse even quicker. Big auto will continue to pretend there is not a demand problem for ICE vehicles until it's so obvious they are starting to look foolish to the average Joe.

A few very vocal people treated this theory like it was a whacky conspiracy theory. Did I really think this whole chip shortage was a huge conspiracy? No, the chip shortage was real but that doesn't mean the big OEMs won't hide behind it. Of course we still don't have absolute confirmation yet but it's been looking like that for some time and that look just got stronger.
You are right. It is not conspiracy theory.

As mentioned previously, big corporations teach classes in good excuses [euphemistically titled “communicating to upper management”].

The chip shortage would be the textbook one to select and present. Some element of truth. In the news. Can be credibly parroted further upstream. Blame is external, so you are a team player.

Chorus of voices.

Telling your bosses that they “developed an inferior product, that one has to pay people to take, because the company metrics encourage and support that behavior” is not greeted with the same enthusiasm as “global chip shortage.”

So it is taught in a general sense. I guess that makes it a normalized behavior rather than a conspiracy.

Nice to see $800 finally get broken. :)

TSLA Pre 41021.jpg

Everything is relative:

View attachment 717674

Tesla is the only Top-15 company listed on the S&P 500 in the green at 6:40 ET.

This is macros (as I predicted on Saturday).
And best I can tell, MSM and TSLAQ haven't been able to piece together negative spin on the results yet. (The worst I've seen from Q is that they think Elon's dog is ugly; I wish I was kidding 😔)

I'm liking the setup of being the only stock to be bucking the macros making it a good story stock for CNBC to blabber about today and no obvious negative false narrative yet.

And best I can tell, MSM and TSLAQ haven't been able to piece together negative spin on the results yet. (The worst I've seen from Q is that they think Elon's dog is ugly; I wish I was kidding 😔)

I'm liking the setup of being the only stock to be bucking the macros making it a good story stock for CNBC to blabber about today and no obvious negative false narrative yet.

"Call walls" at 800 and again at 820. No particularly large "Put walls" to provide support up at these levels. Volume will need to be very strong to prevent MMs from manipulating the SP. And it's a long way to the river... (the Friday Close):

Options.OI.2021-10-01 7.00 AM.png

Huh, i wrote the same thing earlier this summer when I heard about the li-fe batteries and cars from different locations hitting germany. As someone that actually has to support equipment made overseas all I could see what a looming logistical nightmare as the parts/support issues arose. Many posters disagreed with me. Hmmm...EM is saying baskins robbins on cells is not good. Hmmm. You betcha. Of course it could just be warning shot at suppliers that they are going to cut someone off, maybe to panasonic. It could also mean the 4680 is progressing towards scale.
Ah, no:

Tesla needs to remedy "Baskin-Robbins of batteries" situation ... https://www.greencarreports.com › News › Electric Cars

"Call walls" at 800 and again at 820. No particularly large "Put walls" to provide support up at these levels. Volume will need to be very strong to prevent MMs from manipulating the SP. And it's a long way to the river... (the Friday Close):

View attachment 717679
10M in the first 30 minutes of trading would do it. >30M for the morning as well I think. 50M+ and it's game on!

I'm missing your point.

I made that post based on my memory feel. Your post prompted me to look at the chart. The Q1 earnings beat led to a downright smack down on the share price.

You claimed the SP was unmoved by P&D both times.

My point is that's not what actually happened and your "memory feel" was not accurate.

Now you appear to be moving your goalposts to earnings, weeks later, since the actual data didn't support your original claim.

Your buying GM?
I sold mine in early summer.
Activist group going after legacy fossil industry to attack climate change. I put 30k into them after success at Exxon. Need a lot of tools in that toolbox….

... I think vans and suburbans will be the last EVs to get long range, decent charging times, and low prices due to the size, weight, and aerodynamics leading to massive battery requirements.
It is essential to understand that many countries employ non-tarriff barriers.
Japan is famous for that, but one large Japan issue is vehicle width, a practical constraint.Typical urban width is 2.3 meters, length 5 meters. A Tesla Model 3 is 1.933 meters wide and 4.7 meters long, just barely squeezing in. Models S and X are too big to fit. There are myriad other constraints, but for comfort most Japanese buyers want slimmer vehicles.

Many countries use inspection processes to make importation more difficult, and even more have highly specific requirements for lighting, signals, control and more.

The import duties are only one part of the equation. A giant one, to be sure, but often less of a factor than are arcane local rules.

Otherwise it's reasonable to assume that vans, trucks and large SUV's may be the last to move strongly to BEV, but...busses, specialized trucks (mining, garbage etc) are already moving strongly towards BEV. Battery weight and space demands are generally less serious impediments for those categories.

Wow, way to go out on a limb there with a good price target. Even though it’s a small raise I’ll still take it.

View attachment 717686
Not to be outdone, and likely in order to remain one step ahead of GLJ, even JPM (beholden to big oil as they are) is forced to raise their price targets to a whopping $215. [insert NSFW expletive here - it is almost a 20% price target increase - my expectation is they will be right on target for the next SP split] 🙄🙄