Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They figured out the remaining 1% and this is the solution.

Was watching Everyday Astronaut visit at Firefly Aerospace and how they make their rocket engines.

The casting technology Tesla is developing is the future of manufacturing?

They will cast rocket engines and everything else?

What it takes to be the best at manufacturing in this Universe?

Future is going to be amazing? 😋
Aluminum is not a very good material for rocket engines.

Tradelog has served me well, fwiw. Tracking wash sales across multiple accounts and for both stock and options is automatic. And it's saved me on more than one occasion from having a wash sale permanently lost due to an IRA trade.
Did you have the case of TSLA options at various strikes and expiry traded around the same time?
I traded TSLA options both in taxable and IRA accounts within the 30 day window.
Were your TSLA options (assuming all call options) treaded as different securities by Tradelog when the strike and expiry were different, or were they all treated as equivalent security?

Does this post confirm that initial Berlin production is planned w/o front casting and structual pack? :confused:

No, I don’t think that is representative of initial Berlin production. That body wasn’t produced at giga-Berlin since they aren’t allowed to produce anything yet. They probably brought it in from Shanghai as a demo piece.

Funny, the infamous Gregw on twitter who bought a model 3 and claimed tesla was a con and never got anywhere close to the stated efficiency and caused quite a stir....

Had changed is brake calliper springs and pads and these were too strong, rubbing on the disks and generally trashing his efficiency. He was literally driving round with the brakes on.
You mean Wreg Gester? 😂

Does this post confirm that initial Berlin production is planned w/o front casting and structual pack? :confused:

Not necessarily. Tesla don't have approval to do any actual production at Giga Berlin yet. Reports I've seen from the County Fair suggest that the body shells, some panels and cars were all imported from China. But there could be some limited fabrication going on where they have approval for calibration and commissioning. There were also body shells shown on the tour that had the front casting attached. The photo in this post could just be one of the earlier China shells without a front casting that is being used to calibrate part of the line. I expect that front casting vs pressed wouldn't alter the final assembly too much.

Structural vs non-structural pack would have a greater impact on the line so they would probably be starting with 2170 then adding in a parallel mating process as 4680's become available.

It almost makes you wonder if the legacy automakers are saying "see, we tried to make an electric car, but they suck, so can we go back to building ICE cars again?"
I don't think that's the strategy, the game is up for ICE, but for sure if they make the BEV's to good then they will make their listing fossil cars look extremely unattractive - look at Porsche by way of example, as flawed as the Taycan is, I believe it is outselling both the Panamera and 911 ranges. Porsche can probably survive due to their relatively low volumes, but VW would be in deep doo-doo if that were to happen

No, I don’t think that is representative of initial Berlin production. That body wasn’t produced at giga-Berlin since they aren’t allowed to produce anything yet. They probably brought it in from Shanghai as a demo piece.
They are building body's in Berlin! First few have been assembled and they have permission to build 250 full body's to test production.

Not necessarily. Tesla don't have approval to do any actual production at Giga Berlin yet. Reports I've seen from the County Fair suggest that the body shells, some panels and cars were all imported from China. But there could be some limited fabrication going on where they have approval for calibration and commissioning. There were also body shells shown on the tour that had the front casting attached. The photo in this post could just be one of the earlier China shells without a front casting that is being used to calibrate part of the line. I expect that front casting vs pressed wouldn't alter the final assembly too much.

Structural vs non-structural pack would have a greater impact on the line so they would probably be starting with 2170 then adding in a parallel mating process as 4680's become available.
Why would you think those parts were imported? Nothing stated that that were imported parts. Model Y out of Berlin will have Rear and Front casted parts. The battery pack will be imported from Shanghai, when production 4680 is starting, Giga Berlin will start producing packs.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Why would you think those parts were imported? Nothing stated that that were imported parts. Model Y out of Berlin will have Rear and Front casted parts. The battery pack will be imported from Shanghai, when production 4680 is starting, Giga Berlin will start producing packs.
This tweet from @avoigt and I also think it was mentioned in a video by Gali. Can't be sure as I've watched and read so much about the fair recently. To be clear actual production parts will be produced on site. My understanding is that many of the parts on display for the factory tour were imported but this won't be ongoing once production starts.

This tweet from @avoigt and I also think it was mentioned in a video by Gali. Can't be sure as I've watched and read so much about the fair recently.

And what was their source? Nobody I spoke with said they were imported, it also doesn't make sense.

Stamping is operational, for all parts. They have a permit for limited production of parts. snice Friday they also have a permit for the production of 250 cars. There were some imported body's, but they were wrapped in foil and stored away.

[edit]
Imagine you've just build a multi million dollar stamping machine, with all the stamps ready. And you have permission to produce parts (limited) and then you import the parts?
[/edit]

Last edited:
And what was their source? Nobody I spoke with said they were imported, it also doesn't make sense.

Stamping is operational, for all parts. They have a permit for limited production of parts. snice Friday they also have a permit for the production of 250 cars. There were some imported body's, but they were wrapped in foil and stored away.

[edit]
Imagine you've just build a multi million dollar stamping machine, with all the stamps ready. And you have permission to produce parts (limited) and then you import the parts?
[/edit]
Imagine you invite 10.000 to party, and then you have still not grown the food to serve…

[edit]
[/edit]
You'd have to ask @avoigt for the source but to me it makes perfect sense. Tesla were opening up their partially finished gigafactory to the public and needed parts to show the process and put on display. Who's to know when they knew they'd receive a permit and if that would allow them to produce sufficient quality parts on time and then set up the displays (it would take more than a few hours)? They're importing cars from China and need sample parts for calibration so it would be relatively simple to source the parts displayed at the fair. Also did you see any sheet metal being moved through the presses? Every video I've seen from the fair just has the robots moving air through the working presses.

You know that'd work so much better if he wouldn't start every drive with the speed setting at +5 MPH over the speed limit.
You do know that he reads this thread, right?

pedro-monkey-puppet.gif

- look at Porsche by way of example, as flawed as the Taycan is, I believe it is outselling both the Panamera and 911 ranges.

It is not very difficult for a 4 door 5 passenger vehicle to outsell a 2 door 2+2 sports car.

Right now Porsche ICE demand is split between 5 cars.

Porsche BEV demand is funneled to 1 car.

The " I don't want a Tesla" crowd has so far had the Taycan and is sibling Audi RS Etron GT for a premium 4 door electric sedan to chose from.

There was a time when I-Pace was selling like gangbusters with no competition for "I don't want a Tesla" customers.

Taycan will soon have Mercedes EQS and Lucid Air competing for the " I don't want a Tesla" customers who want a premium electric sedan.