Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Signed.

Unfortunately fact that someone with such an obvious bias was appointed, shows us exactly where our President stands. The clues we got from the EV Summit (or whatever they called that thing) were pretty clear but this erases all doubt. This petition will not accomplish anything regarding the appointment of Cummings. Biden has the person he wants for the job. The best we can do is spread the facts (and the petition) to as many people as we can so the populace is aware of what's going on.

Zero question she makes Twitter mistakes. My own experience there made me quit Twitter. Still, I judge her by her research nit by her tweets. She has pro-Tesla tweets too, I’m told. I agree with you that her tweets raise issues. She ought to censor her thoughts before writing. For that matter I really wish Elon would stop Twitter F we judge him by that we might well think he’s a poor choice also.

To be sure I will not rush to defend anybody using such a ridiculous medium, organized as it is to encourage thoughtless random utterances.

PS Finally it has happened! I have finally had a point on which I can disagree with @The Accountant ! Hopefully there will not be many more of them.

Sleep with the dogs and you wake up with the fleas - Aerosmith.

summary
uses TSLAQ block list
received 400K Veoneer stock
nasty EM tweets

lots of smart people with bad judgement (some of it being financially motivated)

proof in pudding!!

Let's keep this SEC filing for Missy Cummins payments as a Director of Veoneer Inc.

SEC.Form4.MissyCummins.Veoeer.Inc.2021-05-10.jpg

Missy Cummins has fundamental conflict of interest for advising the NHTSA on Tesla driver assist technolgies.

Let's think this through: the US is, what, maybe a quarter of Tesla's future market? Say the NHTSA forces Tesla to disable some part of FSD. So foreign countries use full Full Self Driving and the stats start showing fewer deaths (all other factors being normalized).

AFAIK it's already far MORE heavily nerfed in places like the EU (and take rate is nearly non-existent in china per Elon on previous call), so what "other countries" would this unrestricted FSD be happening in if the US starts restricting it?

Despite that lack of response, the article itself appeared to be reasonably accurate. The software versions and vehicle-specific data were not in the article beyond that the vehicles one and three had 'different software versions' and vehicle two has FSD. The major conclusions that there should be some regulatory oversight and that use of agile techniques should still have software changes tested and documented are uncontroversial. Elon Musk has on occasion suggested as much.

Ms. Cummings is distinctly qualified for the proposed role. Specifically, she has very extensive experience with advanced aircraft control systems. In that context she absolutely knows the material between the Boeing 737 MAX MCAS (undisclosed to operators/pilots, largely untested, operated without notifying pilots) as well as the F-18. Both are excellent case studies for the development of better and fully documented control systems. The F-18, 100% fly-by-wire(FBW, is an especially relevant case: Also from aviation are another two cases from Airbus that demonstrate the risk of complacency.:
First, an airshow crash solely due to an exceedingly experienced pilot having overconfidence in the first commercial FBW aircraft:
Second, an Airbus A330 crash due to pilots ignoring pitot tube freezing:

Ms. Cummings knows very well the risks of inattention and overconfidence. She is NOT a critic of highly automated systems but she IS an advocate for careful documentation, driver monitoring and consistent timely warning of system inability to perform.

Her criticism of Tesla Autopilot is not idle nor is it ignorant. I do not believe she opposes their development and deployment. I don't even think she's anti-Tesla. She is acutely aware of both the positive and negative aspects of L2 systems including the papers invention of L2+.

Bluntly we all know these systems require careful use with diligent driver monitoring. That is what Level 2 implies, but many people do ignore the limitations and those people also get into easily preventable accidents. That in no way detracts from the obvious benefits including much lower accident rates and lower serious injuries and deaths in the Tesla systems. The dual edge of much safer but also high potential risk of inattention is quite perfectly analogous to the aircraft situations also.

She will argue for OTA updates to have rigorous vetting, and chances are high she'll argue for a formal standard for documentation. That need not even slow down OTA but it will require better release vetting and documentation. That will be "A Good Thing". It will also generate major controversy, such things are not easy.

Many may disagree but these are my views. With both FSD and FBW aircraft operation in my history, I really want better documentation, better alerting systems and driver training (maybe even some delivery-based trying would help).

Just think, please: Plaids are being delivered with ZERO instruction. When I got mine it was me who explained things to the delivery person. How can that be a good thing? I had never driven one until mine. I had read the entire manual multiple times (perhaps a residue of aircraft pilot type rating ground training habits) but I had never driven one.

How many accidents are happening because of bad training or none at all? Th spectacular ones are clearly the result of overconfidence, and ignorance can exacerbate that.

So, a does of Ms. Commings is, in my opinion, a good thing, overdue.
I disagreed for the reason that there are so few people whose heads don’t explode due to thinking they are all that and a bag of chips once someone (or they themselves) consider them ‘experts’ in a field.

This woman is a prime example. I don’t care what she thinks on the topic because clearly she thinks she’s operating on some enlightened plane of existence, such that she’s lost any semblance of humility nor do I believe she thinks she has much more to learn, which she does.

No such thing as a ‘good governmental overseer’ individual or entity.

Of course my approach is to allow too stupid to live to cease to exist. The only unfortunate thing about that is that invariably some innocents become collateral damage.

Missy Cummings is going to regret her Twitter account. Mark my words.

Please. Try to take a rational view. Just because Biden is a union advocate is not an automatic reason to view all his appointments in a negative light.

For goodness sake, please read her actual papers. Check their content and sourcing. Ignore random tweets and/or lists of following/followers. If you were able to check mine you’d find I follow a number of people whose views I largely detest. I have zero interest in seeing only things with which I agree. Editing out all disagreement yields myopia or worse.

Ms. Cummings is a human being, a thoughtful person and a technically qualified one. She knows more about complex systems, including neural networks, than do almost all of us.
Don't take the disagreements personal. I for one am glad you have a dissenting opinion for me to ponder;

However, as an attorney I take a view analogous to what happens when for example a judge - even the most competent one - can be taken off a case if there is even the slightest risk/whiff of partiality.

The adage goes: "Justice must not only be done, it must also be seen to be done."

Since Ms. Cummings is taking up a position that can influence regulations regarding Tesla, there cannot be any doubt regarding her objectivity towards the subject (in this case Tesla and its software).

Therefore, her bias (which is not up for discussion I believe, the evidence is quite clear) is very much an issue in this case. This has nothing to do with her competence or knowledge of the systems under observation.

So I respectfully disagree with your opinion on this particular matter, but I thank you for expressing your viewpoint thoroughly (even with all the expected headwind you were going to receive).

Las Vegas Loop getting to next step of expansion agreements with Clark County - there's some other interesting nuggets in the article centered around financial reporting of the loop system.

Missy Cummings is going to regret her Twitter account. Mark my words.
She undoubtedly already does.
In the meantime there is growing worry about every aspect fo driver assistance and driving automation nearly everywhere.
The notion that we'll have widespread robotaxi anytime soon is patently absurd. Promoting that idea so aggressively is on Elon.
Still, Tesla is progressing and will even more so post-Dojo. We should not expect that to be Level 5 autonomy, or even Level 3 anytime soon.
Documentation, procedures and regulations will be major impediments, as will be passenger instructions.
I fully support the effort, and do expect it will happen. Sometime.

She implied she wanted to kick him in the head.

The next time someone physically threatens me, I'm going to go Zen and think

"their views on me are mixed"
The video she posted showing the girl kicking the boy in the head , and saying that's what she wants to do to Tesla and elon musk is troubling to say the least...

What if we reversed it and had a boy kick a girl in the head like that, and said that's what I would do to (for instance ) Hillary Clinton if I ever ran into her!

How would that go over?

Well it certainly looks like we're getting "the wedge" again. MM's trying to keep things under control on moderate volume. $868 close, then.......

Took a peek at 10/22 $900c this morning, bit they never touched my price point of $4.20. Gonna sit tight through earnings and watch for a selloff dip Th/Fr to buy some ultra cheap 10/29 $900c.

Reactions: canoemore