Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the pop to $945 was due to this news hitting:

Zach on the call...................“The great thing we’re seeing in the space right now is that there appears to just be quite a profound awakening of desirability for electric vehicles. And to be totally frank, it’s caught us a little off-guard.”

Yep, makes sense with this news

Cheaper to power, cheaper to maintain, less crashes, and people pay more to rent a Tesla. I wonder if there is possibly some form of tesla insurance eventuating, with either tesla owners bringing their tesla safety scores with them, or hertz customers can get a safety score from their previous tesla rentals - eother of which may lower insurance cost for customers.
Would be cool if the Tesla rental would recognize your phone and adjust all settings to match the preset settings in your own Tesla.

Will be interesting to understand their policy on bringing back the tank "full". I don't think they will charge if the car is not fully charged upon return. Would turn off too many people.

Anyway, I huge win for Tesla. It is beyond clear their biggest issue is making more cars.
So you think Hertz will just eat the energy costs? I doubt that.
I think they will come up with a plan exactly like they do ICE cars.; Return it full or return it with less and they will charge you for what was used.
They may not charge extra for the charge there but i don't see them trying to raise prices of rental rate to cover the energy costs nor do I see them eating it.

I'm assuming they will be standard range+, which are LFP batteries....
If so then Great win for the environment, and makes sense for newbies Tesla drivers able to charge to 100% all the time without harming battery.

Amazing news :)
Or rather, Hertz fully charges the cars before rental and changes the normal situation in that you DON'T need to bring it back full. That makes Hertz so much more convenient than any other rental (unless you wanted to pay for the low tank option which pre pays by tank size.)
This would lend itself to a new supercharger that has more taps to allow both fast fill and multiple top offs. Tesla could even create a hybrid pedestal/ cabinet that switches from DC fast charging to AC vehicle based once the charge rate drops below the car's built in level.
Bonus 2: preconditioned interiors.
Bonus 3: interaction free pick up. All app all the time, with back up key card in console, just in case.

Edit: @Stretch2727 , exactly! Was typing this when you posted.

Ah, I didn't see the article with the purchase price.

According to this article on Marketwatch the deal is worth $4.2 billion, so for 100,000 cars that's an easy calculation. Tesla will likely not have 30% margin on those cars, but it's great advertising. It's a pity though that other buyers will have to wait longer now.

LOL. Resistence at $950 in the Pre-Market; Already 1.13M shares traded by 8:10 E.T.

TSLA.2021-10-25.08-05.Resistance at 950.png

Shortzes are capitulating: 'Run, Duck, and Cover'. MMs fighting a desperate Rear-Guard Action with Patton's 3rd Army in the assault. Casualities are mounting, resistance is flailing. A new day is dawning. Forward!

IMO. ;)

Yes, but reorganized as of June 30, 2021. Shareholders lost a lot.

At one point the company debt was selling for cents on the dollar - intended up rising 1,000%+ off the lows, not sure where they finished up.

I guess when I think through.

Most people either don't care about their financial futures or don't follow best practice (for whatever reason (bad advice)).
Regarding the thought experiment "what percentage of Tesla-vehicle owners owns TSLA shares?" I just want to note the very North American viewpoint.

In the USA buying stock is much more commonplace than in other parts of the world. On average, 52% of U.S. households are invested in some way.

In Europe the average lies more around 10 to 20%.

Different culture, that's all. So the whole argument is flawed. (I can only agree with the vague statement that more people will want to own TSLA stock the more Tesla vehicles are on the road. The numbers behind it are impossible to uncover.)

Cars on the lot are cars not making money. Need fast turn around to maximize return on capital. (acknowledging there is a weekly ebb and flow to demand)
Plus, the slower the charger the more of them (and space) you need.
In that case I could definitely see at least urban superchargers being installed at locations. Co-locating a "regular" Supercharger site at an airport location (with 250 kW+ stalls) probably wouldn't make sense though as most airport locations would be quite poor for someone looking to charge during a road trip.

I think they will come up with a plan exactly like they do ICE cars.; Return it full or return it with less and they will charge you for what was used.
They may not charge extra for the charge there but i don't see them trying to raise prices of rental rate to cover the energy costs nor do I see them eating it.
I have no idea what Hertz is planning but Enterprise has always had the policy you don’t need to return an electric car fully charged. They have no fees added for an “empty” Chevy Volt.

According to this article on Marketwatch the deal is worth $4.2 billion, so for 100,000 cars that's an easy calculation. Tesla will likely not have 30% margin on those cars, but it's great advertising. It's a pity though that other buyers will have to wait longer now.
Might all be 3 SR (and future Y SR) orders which would still mean good margins. (Just speculating)

Rented a BMW i3 from Hertz last week at Palma Mallorca airport. Free charging on the entire island included, and return the car at any state of charge. The charging infrastructure on Mallorca was woeful but work with where we were staying OK. BMWi3=Nokia