Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSLA is so great that if you announce you are buying some of their cars your shares go up. LOOOL
No, not really a positive. Tesla itself should be taking those cars onto its balance sheet and integrating them into the network. Why give the middle man a cut?
Consider how many extended "test drives" these vehicles will cause. Butts in seats my friend.

Hertz said this 100K is an initial order. Another order of Y's could be coming later on. :cool:

... and an even bigger order of Models 2 will be coming later on too!

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2021-10-25.10-00.png

Cheers!

I don't understand, 100,000 M3's sold at $42,000 each seems pretty great for the balance sheet, doesn't it? Plus all that free advertising as hundreds of thousands of people get to ride in Tesla's and experience them now. 🤔
It's pretty simple. Tesla is sold out basically forever on the SR+. If it's not Hertz, then it's somebody else. At this rate, Tesla will have to close their order book or stop guaranteeing prices.

Tesla doesn't need advertising. It can't handle any incremental demand anyways.

I've excluded Chinese automakers from the first set below, as my trust and confidence in the Chinese stock market is even lower than it is for US MMs.

As of when I added the data - correct as of a few minutes ago, TSLA's market cap now exceeds that of the next sixteen largest automakers, viz:

TOYOTA 240.5
VW 149.1
DAIMLER 142.3
GM 83.7
BMW 66.4
FORD 64.5
STELLANTIS 63.2
VOLVO 58.6
FERRARI 56.1
HONDA 51.8
LUCID 39.9
MARUTI 29.2
KIA 28.9
SUZUKI 21.6
NISSAN 19.9

But were I to include the Chinese makers - BYD at 142.3 Great Wall at 78.9 and NIO at 65.2 - the portrait changes so that TSLA is larger than the next ten largest.

There’s not a single thing wrong with people talking about their finances good or bad as defined by them. There’s not a single thing wrong with being happy you made a wise decision, a risky decision, or a lucky decision and it paid off, and you want to talk about it, especially within a group of people who have experienced the same.

There is NO shame in being monetarily well off and wanting to talk about it, especially with a group of peers.

I’m happy for every single person who took a chance on Tesla/TSLA and have been rewarded and if they want to shout their portfolios from my mountain they should find a different mountain, but they should shout nonetheless if it strikes them to do so. The associated stigma of being monetarily rich is a big pile of dog biscuits piled higher by the envious.

I have lived paycheck to paycheck for most of my life. There have been times I’ve had to forego new underwear and food so I could pay a bill. I’ve worked multiple jobs at a time to pay the bills. All the while watching friends/acquaintances buy whatever their heart desires. Not once was I jealous. Instead, I was motivated to work hard, make good money decisions and live my life.

No, you don’t get to make people feel bad or ashamed. Go somewhere else if you can’t stomach people here sharing their good fortune and happiness.
No ones asking people to walk around ashamed of wealth, just try to keep a minimum level of class when discussing it. Poster's stories, such as yours, about how their newfound wealth is some of the best content we have here. That's dramatically different than the more dbag-y conversation going on this weekend.

The concern being TMC turning into a Reddit thread.

View attachment 725465

I find this the best fitting news, even though announced on Oct 5th.....Mark Fields used to come on CNBS and always said "The competition is coming for Tesla....." and i used to wonder why an 'ex-ceo' of Ford would always be on CNBS. Now I'm like....."Mark Fields is a visionary!" 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
"Ex-Ford CEO Mark Fields is coming for his Teslas".

It's pretty simple. Tesla is sold out basically forever on the SR+. If it's not Hertz, then it's somebody else. At this rate, Tesla will have to close their order book or stop guaranteeing prices.

Tesla doesn't need advertising. It can't handle any incremental demand anyways.
This sounds like me complaining about cell supply. Capacity is coming. Austin and Berlin could come online literally today for all we know, and 2022 production could very well be double that of 2021. It just tough for us to remember the S-curve and that we really don't know where this demand ends or slows down.

I hope they are purchasing LR models. Charging is a pain in the ass if you don't have a destination charger to plug into overnight. Supercharger stops on a road trip aren't a problem because it's nice to stop after driving for a few hours anyway. Hopefully this spurs investment in badly needed destination charging at hotels and Airbnb's etc.
Looks like it the Hertz Blog page says cars have range of 260 miles. So imagine all LFP.

I do think that it allows Tesla to secure pricing and put the Model 3 lines into very efficient run sequences where each and every car coming out of the factory is exactly the same. Allows production to be more efficient and produce more in the same amount of time.
Might this actually be the end of the end-of-quarter delivery pushes?
In the last week if the quarter produce 'hertz-spec' cars only and sell&deliver them all with the stroke of a single pen?
Pick-up at the logistics lot.
Or at least no introduction/paperwork required pick-up from the delivery center.

This sounds like me complaining about cell supply. Capacity is coming. Austin and Berlin could come online literally today for all we know, and 2022 production could very well be double that of 2021. It just tough for us to remember the S-curve and that we really don't know where this demand ends or slows down.
Now this just seems like we are supposed to believe in the demand monster under the bed. It might exist, but I have not seen it yet.

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
I realize that for shorter term traders here, possible near term margin contraction from opening new factories is relevant, but for those of us looking longer term, the new factories represent significant opportunities for margin expansion as new manufacturing technologies are deployed.

Tesla’s meteoric rise to the upper echelon of mega market cap companies would be remarkable for any company, but for a vertically integrated heavy manufacturing company it is truly special. It’s once in a generation, like Toyota before it. Look at the largest 100 cap companies. Very few of them can manufacture anything bigger than what you can hold in your hand.

BuildIng on the human and financial capital Tesla now has, the sky is the limit not only for scaling manufacturing innovation, but also for applying these innovations to an ever widening array of products.

Couple that with Tesla’s software chops, and we have something without parallel in the history of business enterprise. Apple is the only company that comes even remotely close, and its combination of capabilities have so far created several trillion in value to its shareholders.

This post gets a nomination for the "special merit" thread.

I do think it's very significant that Tesla is a heavy manufacturing company and, for that reason, Apple is not even comparable because not only are they not heavy manufacturing, they contract out most of the manufacturing they do have. Who can come up with a non-auto, heavy manufacturing company that is using first-principles thinking to integrate technology (like software and AI) to their products to drive down costs? I can't think of any. I mean, a lot of companies are trying, John Deer is adding automation and GPS to their tractors and have been for some time. But are they using electrics and redesigning their tractors to have lower costs of ownership? No, they are rapidly increasing in price.

So many industries ripe for disruption, so little time and expertise! Knowledge is the new currency.

The timing of the Hertz order is great, because even if the US ev credit is announced with weird timelines that cause some people to defer orders to the credit start date ( assuming it’s not retroactive ) ; Tesla can just send that production to Hertz for a few weeks.

Tesla could also offer “current price protection guarantee” only to those who don’t refuse delivery once Tesla notifies them that their car is ready.

In other words, refuse delivery and revert to the back of the line with whatever the current pricing is at that time.

Last edited:
The timing of the Hertz order is great, because even if the US ev credit is announced with weird timelines that cause some people to defer orders to the credit start date ( assuming it’s not retroactive; Tesla can just send that production to Hertz for a few weeks.

Tesla could also offer current price protection guarantee only to those who don’t refuse delivery once Tesla rlnotifies them that their car is ready.
Only thing is it looks like only Model 3 SR+ in the Hertz orders.