Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mostly not, but it can be depending on circumstances. Ploughing through snow or water causes a lot of drag. Cold weather shrinks the air, so if you don't keep your inflation up, that causes more drag. Cold air is dense, so that causes a lot of drag (just ask any pilot). It's not uncommon for ICE vehicles to lose 25% or more in very cold weather (few ICE drivers actually notice this because the cars don't tell them). In Canada, S85 typically gets 185 miles down from 265 (~70%) when the temperature is -20 to -30 (There were lots of posts on this when the S85 first came out).

I’ve heard that the Model 3 actually fares worse in this regard. Something about the efficiency of the motor making it so the waste heat isn’t enough to adequately heat the battery. Not sure how true that is, though.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I've held long a long time now and the share price hasn't budged in 2 years. I just need it to go up a bit more to 300's so I can start unwinding my position at this point. I've been tired of this a long time now.
I think the past 2 years and the next 2 years have a big difference - before, Tesla had no volume to cause harm to OEMs. Now they are ramping up to significant volume and have more products. This can't be easily disregarded.

Let's hope the Sniper is on the money. I just bought back a 5/17 covered call I had sold two weeks ago.

Option_Sniper on Twitter

Option_Sniper‏ @option_snipper
TSLA fueling up for a hike to 287-294 level possible.....

taking with a grain of salt this time. Didn't happen last few times. Love and Follow Sniper, but too many distractions going on for TSLA

Keeping dry powder at least until SEC news has some clarity (till 26th), I think deliveries will have no issue ...
No harm in paying a bit more on the way up ...(after the breakout) .. very loaded .. so no regrets in missing out as well.

+ hope he is right.

Last edited:
Let's hope the Sniper is on the money. I just bought back a 5/17 covered call I had sold two weeks ago.

Option_Sniper on Twitter

Option_Sniper‏ @option_snipper
TSLA fueling up for a hike to 287-294 level possible.....

I’d be careful right now. A single judge’s decision has the power to spike or crash the SP in the near term and we have no indication which way she’s leaning, or when that decision will be made. I’m holding off on doing anything until that clears. Either side, bears or bulls, could get wiped out.

I’d be careful right now. A single judge’s decision has the power to spike or crash the SP in the near term and we have no indication which way she’s leaning, or when that decision will be made. I’m holding off on doing anything until that clears. Either side, bears or bulls, could get wiped out.

Judge has given both parties until the 26th to respond to a request about whether to have an evidentiary hearing. SEC has said no, Musk's attorney has not responded to the request. I don't know whether that would be "until the end of the day on the 26th" or "until the start of the day on the 26th", but either way, she can't rule until next week at the earliest. And it would be weird if she ruled immediately (although possible)

The ancient Greeks had a pretty ingenious method to filter out self-selecting politicians: they chose city officials by random ballot.

Sounds a lot like this

"I am obliged to confess I should sooner live in a society governed by the first two thousand names in the Boston telephone directory than in a society governed by the two thousand faculty members of Harvard University."

I've held long a long time now and the share price hasn't budged in 2 years. I just need it to go up a bit more to 300's so I can start unwinding my position at this point. I've been tired of this a long time now.
Whereas I’ve also held for a long time too, yet wouldn’t sell and also asked my wife not to sell if I happen to get hit by a bus.

I invested in a profoundly important company that is executing supremely well. The stock price will take care of itself in time. Granted it’s hard to predict when though I don’t personally feel the need to do so. Best of luck timing any buy back in.

The FUD no longer bothers me as it 1) informs me when the stock is facing a big push to further artificially depress it, 2) keeps Tesla looking like the underdog to the mildly informed and hopefully gathers their support through purchases, and 3) minimizes competitive awareness of Tesla’s breathtaking and still gathering momentum as well as their full strategic advantage.

OK what are TSLA plans for GF1 for increasing battery production ... what will it need to scale to for addition of volume MY production?

GF1 is currently full so we will need to see external construction for further expansion of cells, packs, or Y assembly line. The factory was built to be modular though and it shouldn't take long to construct additional sections.

According to reports GF1 is currently at 4m cells per day which is 26-27gWh annualized (excluding downtime). The current investment agreement with Panasonic is to get to 35gWh, but Tesla will have to sign a new agreement to expand for Y cells.

Presumably it would need at least the same again to get to 7k Y per week, but Tesla will also need cells for Semi, Roadster, maybe Pickup and significant energy storage growth.
I'd guess Tesla wants to get to 35gWh and get Panasonic to sign off on another 35gWh for now.