Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d be careful right now. A single judge’s decision has the power to spike or crash the SP in the near term and we have no indication which way she’s leaning, or when that decision will be made. I’m holding off on doing anything until that clears. Either side, bears or bulls, could get wiped out.
Being careful until after the judge's decision is smart. I think at least some of the risk of a decision going against Elon is priced in with the stock trading near the lower end of range. IMO a positive outcome for Elon is probably not priced in.

Being careful until after the judge's decision is smart. I think at least some of the risk of a decision going against Elon is priced in with the stock trading near the lower end of range. IMO a positive outcome for Elon is probably not priced in.

Absolutely - I believe just the threat of SEC sanctions has decimated institutional holdings, who (as @neroden pointed out in the past with statistics) are the 'weak longs' in the pool of Tesla investors.

Any sort of mid-tier institutional investor will have trouble explaining why they held on to their TSLA shares with a SEC threat looming, if indeed there's sanctions. So I think many money managers reduced their positions.

I believe this process is now largely over, SEC negativity is priced in - and I agree that institutional investors don't expect Elon to actually prevail against the SEC - it's an outcome that almost never happens.

There are a lot of factors that could have impact. Production/delivery numbers released in less than two weeks. Macro issues like Brexit. Chinese deal still not closed so tariffs still possible.

We really would be better off if he can stop talking about 'almost died' situations, dragons he slayed, and how tough it was. Crucially, I feel Musk doesn't instinctively understand difference between 1. communicating to interested parties, and those he reaches very well, vs. 2. talking to media and disinterested crowd that doesn't care, one fed by soundbites. First group will have a sympathy for those stories, second is going to see it as drama and lying...

Nailed it. !! +100

Is anyone else wondering just how much the number of people who have jumped on AP and/or FSD this past month will do to Q1 numbers?Of the owners I speak to a pretty large number have jumped on one or both of these upgrades. Granted the type of avid owner that will post on forums and FB groups is more likely to spend money on such an upgrade. It wouldn't take a very high percentage of total Model 3s (and however many S/Xs) buying the upgrades at 2k, 3, or 5k each to really make a difference in revenue. (I'm fuzzy myself if FSD revenue can be booked as profit or not yet)

Q3 profits in 2018 were 300 million. If we play with the numbers even very conservative estimates look nice. X cars on the road Y% upgrade rate * average upgrade for those of 2k? 2500?

So I tested AP+FSD I just purchased on the same road that failed when I first got the car 7 months ago during the trial period. WoW! Night and day difference! In just 7 months "EAP" drove the entire test road 100% with no failures! This is a winding road with small ups and downs, plenty of cut up turning lanes and one sharp 90 degree turn with a speed limit of 55mph. EAP used to fail at that 90 degree turn and sometimes get confused when there's a cut up turning lane. Now it handled the entire thing like a champ, slowed down and made the hard 90 degree turn like it should.

I'm actually beginning to believe Elon's FSD by end of the year statement.