Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that's a partial answer, what cell format does that use and what factories in the US will it be made at?

The context of the discussion was what Model Ys can be made at Fremont if Austin is making Model Ys with 4680 cells and Fremont only has 2170 cells available?
At the moment I believe the LFP packs used in the model 3 SR are all made in China. Not an expert on form factor but from memory I think they are pouch cells. Perhaps someone that is more knowledgeable on Tesla's use of LFP can confirm but I think there is already an LFP Model Y in China.

If you are in the Pacific Northwest, you can visit an SR-71 at Evergreen Air Museum in McMinville, OR. popular-exhibits
They also have the Spruce Goose and lots of rockets. Well worth a detour. The SR-71 is much larger than you would think from the photos. Must be experienced to be appreciated.
Or Duxford in the UK (bigger detour if you are in the Pacific Northwest but still worth it) :)

Reactions: 15Peter20
Personally I feel Ford will be the first to mass produce their truck. Their plans are:
2022-15k
2023-55k
2024-80k

With 150k reservations I would imagine you would get it in 2023 based on cancelations, deferrals etc.
While Ford is selling millions of pickup trucks per year, producing a few thousand EV trucks is not mass production, it is simply irrelevant.
How are they going to reconcile the above numbers with their promise to Biden to reach 50% EV sales ?
Are they going to drop their ICE sales below 80k per year ? I sincerely hope they do, but I am not holding my breath.
Whoever is reaching 100k/year first will be the first milestone towards making an actual impact, my bet that will be Tesla.

Way to darn often I see one of us post a youtube video that we've all already seen.
And if you have seen this one then I am sorry.
BUT it is a very enjoyable listen (it is a podcast as well) by someone intelligent with a Professional background in Stocks I guess. Who knows about cars on a more than hobby basis.
The insights are worth it. Not much you haven't heard. Just presented in a very well done and thoughtful presentation.
I would nominate it as the video you have people you care somewhat about watch if they don't know Tesla.

OT: Story from Superchargers.

I was supercharging for 35 minutes today. 4-6 Teslas charing in and out during that time. There are also some other chargers there 3-4 of them.
An Audi E-Tron pulls up. I am guessing dude is on the road as he had 2 bikes on the rack.

Now, he kept fiddling with all chargers and could not get started. 38F and windy. Poor dude kept changing through all stalls back and forth. When I was done, I am not sure if he even started charging.

I do wish it were not the case. He was really struggling.

You all know where this is going - SC network is a moat and advantage of incredible proportions. All Teslas I saw just plugged in and people watched Netflix or played games for a few minutes. Zero drama.

SC# is supposed to triple soon. This alone makes me Tesla forever and I know a few other things that general mob is still ignorant about.

Everything being equal, styling, etc. Much more compelling story is how are they planning to get that range, towing and loading capacity for that price? That is really why TSLA is at the current piece point— As evidence by the previous models with improving gross margins, for them to make 100 to 200,000 cyber trucks in the first year means that they have already begun the specific details about production.
Exactly. Even if the copycats match the styling (easy enough) and somehow match all the performance numbers (probably not gonna happen), they're still at a major cost disadvantage.

Sounds like my wife is gonna leave me for a truck.
Look, she probably loves you and it's not going to happen. But if she starts making flimsy excuses to take the truck out alone, or she tells you how safe and secure she feels riding in its rock-hard, chiseled exoskeleton, or she comments on how much she loves the tall road view, or you catch her sitting in it in the driveway with a glass of wine on romance mode...

Last edited:
OT: Story from Superchargers.

I was supercharging for 35 minutes today. 4-6 Teslas charing in and out during that time. There are also some other chargers there 3-4 of them.
An Audi E-Tron pulls up. I am guessing dude is on the road as he had 2 bikes on the rack.

Now, he kept fiddling with all chargers and could not get started. 38F and windy. Poor dude kept changing through all stalls back and forth. When I was done, I am not sure if he even started charging.

I do wish it were not the case. He was really struggling.

You all know where this is going - SC network is a moat and advantage of incredible proportions. All Teslas I saw just plugged in and people watched Netflix or played games for a few minutes. Zero drama.

SC# is supposed to triple soon. This alone makes me Tesla forever and I know a few other things that general mob is still ignorant about.
Was this in NL, where other cars can use a Tesla SC? If not then why was that car trying to charge in a SC?

Personally I feel Ford will be the first to mass produce their truck. Their plans are:
2022-15k
2023-55k
2024-80k

With 150k reservations I would imagine you would get it in 2023 based on cancelations, deferrals etc.

40 GWh of production would only be sufficient to supply 220-320k units at those pack sizes. SK supplies a number of other brands on that 40 GWh and their production ramp will be quite slow through 2025, assuming they remain on time. So no, I wouldn’t bet that the electric 150 gets anywhere close to production volume ramped until 2025 onward.

Yes, but all I was saying is it is enough to hit their current goals as per quoted post.
Once 2025 hits I believe they plan on having. Their new factories open...as you say if things are on time.
Ford battery plans

Reactions: dhrivnak

Any idea why Tesla hasnt gotten into drones? There is even solar technician roles to help map houses for solar panels some companies are beginning to deploy too.
How about they have at least 6 months of backlog on current cars and a year behind on the CyberTruck and 2 years behind on the Roadster and you want to distract them further?

Reactions: 15Peter20
I have sinned and ordered a Rivian. I don’t think Tesla will start production on the Cybertruck until 2025. I predict the backlog on 3/Y will continue to grow, so what’s the point of making a CT? Tesla can’t even ramp S/X yet :(

PS I’m very bullish on Tesla and bearish on Rivian. I need a pickup truck though
Did you get an estimated delivery date?

Reactions: UncaNed
Was this in NL, where other cars can use a Tesla SC? If not then why was that car trying to charge in a SC?
Well, the problems In The Netherlands are arising as they were predicted.
Received this message from another Tesla owner, who wanted to charge in Eemnes in The Netherlands -12 stalls (translated from Dutch):

"Where can I report to Tesla about the pilot with other brands using Tesla chargers?
Today at Eemnes a lot of other brands that occupy 2 places because their charging is on the wrong side.
According to the map enough free chargers, but in reality not one.
Fortunately, a Tesla left which was so kind as to signal so that I could charge immediately.
But the next one had to wait.
This is very annoying and detracts from the beautiful charging network of Tesla."

The message says it all.
Good for adaptation of electric driving and Tesla selling electricity, bad experience for Tesla owners as there are (now and in the near future) not enough superchargers.
And most importantly: as long as other car brands do not take up the glove to install reliable! charging capacity.

Received this message from another Tesla owner, who wanted to charge in Eemnes in The Netherlands -12 stalls (translated from Dutch):

"Where can I report to Tesla about the pilot with other brands using Tesla chargers?
Today at Eemnes a lot of other brands that occupy 2 places because their charging is on the wrong side.
Fortunately, a Tesla left which was so kind as to signal so that I could charge immediately.
This is very annoying and detracts from the beautiful charging network of Tesla."

The message says it all.
Good for adaptation of electric driving and Tesla selling electricity, bad experience for Tesla owners as there are (now and in the near future) not enough superchargers.
And most importantly: as long as other car brands do not take up the glove to install reliable! charging capacity.
This sounds like it could be solved pretty quickly through a "no jerks" policy. Anyone photographed taking up two stalls is fined/banned.

I have sinned and ordered a Rivian. I don’t think Tesla will start production on the Cybertruck until 2025. I predict the backlog on 3/Y will continue to grow, so what’s the point of making a CT? Tesla can’t even ramp S/X yet :(

PS I’m very bullish on Tesla and bearish on Rivian. I need a pickup truck though

I almost ordered a Rivian RT1 when I learned the Cybertuck had been somewhat delayed but, after doing some delivery estimating, I figured I would still get the Cybertruck first. I'm about 40K back in line. But the real lightbulb moment was when I realized I wouldn't be able to sell my F-150 until I take delivery of the Cybertruck anyway because the bed in the Rivian, at 4 1/2 feet, shouldn't even be called a "bed" (unless you are an Oompa-loompa). It's more like a big tool box that doesn't come with a lid. The Cybertruck bed is the same size as my F-150 bed, 6 1/2 feet. The RT1 shouldn't be called a "truck", it's a class of vehicle called a "cute ute".

No, not there.
The plug he was wiggling it and out several times was white and probably 4x as big as Tesla one.
I think the point to be made here is that the non-Tesla vehicle was trying to use a non-Tesla charger that was near the Tesla Superchargers.

Tesla car + Tesla Supercharger ==> success

Non-Tesla car + non-Tesla charger ==> wailing and gnashing of teeth

HTH

This sounds like it could be solved pretty quickly through a "no jerks" policy. Anyone photographed taking up two stalls is fined/banned.
I doubt the non-Tesla even understood they were blocking 2 stalls. They park in the wrong slot in order to to get cable access to their charging port and end up blocking 2 slots for Tesla's.

The message says it all.
Simple solution would be for Tesla to replace the charge cables with longer length cables for SuperChargers accessible for all BEV. Tesla could design a braket so that the cables don't drag on the ground when not in use.
You mentioned the negative, but what about the positive? How much good will for non-Tesla owners was generated? How many non-Tesla owners are now considering Tesla as their next BEV as a result of charging at a Tesla SuperCharger and interaction with Tesla owners and use of the Tesla App?
This is what the test in Netherlands is for. Tesla will take back the information gathered and make it work best for all before a mass roll-out. It's all about the Mission.

Simple solution would be for Tesla to replace the charge cables with longer length cables for SuperChargers accessible for all BEV. Tesla could design a braket so that the cables don't drag on the ground when not in use.
You mentioned the negative, but what about the positive? How much good will for non-Tesla owners was generated? How many non-Tesla owners are now considering Tesla as their next BEV as a result of charging at a Tesla SuperCharger and interaction with Tesla owners and use of the Tesla App?
This is what the test in Netherlands is for. Tesla will take back the information gathered and make it work best for all before a mass roll-out. It's all about the Mission.
Or extenders for the non-Tesla cars.

The superchargers have been laid out in a very clear manner to suit the Tesla charge port location. With a Tesla it is not physically possible to use the wrong charger based on where you park.

I am just surprised Tesla would start a trial without out a clear solution for EV's without the port on the left rear or right front.