Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently the answer is three. But this will probably be more profitable at least initially for them, assuming they can be sold for full price. But GM coiuld make $150k in revenue selling three smaller CUV's with 65kWh batteries, which would be much better for the environment. Now personally I like the looks of the Hummer EV, but not the weight or the price. I would be a buyer in the $60k price range. But since it is double that, I am not sure how well this will work for them. The easy answer, this is not going to make Tesla lose a single sale of any vehicle. The only interesting vehicle that GM has is the Lyriq.

Of course the real problem with the hummer is charging it. If it really is a 200kWh battery, it is so big that charging it becomes a problem. 30a 240V home charging suddenly struggles to charge it. Long road trips require 2x as long to charge assuming the charging circuit is top notch. It would laugh at a 120v charging cable.

Even at $120k GM will probably lose lots of money on the EV hummer. The thing weighs over 9000 pounds(!!!!). The “Ultium” batteries look seriously unimpressive from a technical standpoint. It has a worse pack level energy density than an early Model S. (~135wh/kg) Tesla structural 4680 LFPs will probably beat them soundly in every conceivable metric, never mind the higher nickel performance batteries.

Last edited:
.... Personally, once in a while - maybe once a year I make it a point to get totally drunk just to be sure I'm not stuck .. not that this is any guarantee of anything, but in an altered state all argumentation becomes more benign.
Hmm, sage advice, @CLK350 . I try and "check I'm not stuck" three or four times a week.

Just to be safe.
😂

In my over twenty years living here, I've never stopped at a Buc-ees. I guess I'll have to try them once the Superchargers are opened.
They are quite an experience. I’ve stopped at the ones between Houston and Austin (Waller or Giddings) pre-Tesla. They are huge, the size of a department store. Lots of food choices, both crap and fresh-made. You can wander around and stretch your legs. Spotless restrooms that are, I kid you not, the square footage of a comfortable family home. The perfect venue for a 20-minute supercharge.

It seems that GM's highly touted "leadership role" may have resulted in a positive impact on the TSLA SP in today's pre-market.

Let's all thank those involved in yesterday's peek into GM's state of the art manufacturing and their pioneering EV development for this boost! :rolleyes:

I’ve been reading up a lot on GM’s Ultium battery and it is really impressive in how unimpressive it is. NCMA pouches with worse energy density than 2016 Tesla packs and bragging about future cost levels Tesla already achieved.

GM is going to be absolutely hating life when it’s aggressively mediocre Ultium batteries have to compete against high nickel structural 4680s on the performance side and structural 4680 LFPs on the economy side. Sunk costs all the way down…

But hey, they “Electrified the world!”… 🤣

Elon Musk's emoji reply to a tweet that referred to a video in which a speaker made these comments during an EV event earlier today:
“Detroit’s leading the world in electric vehicles.”
"You changed the whole story."
“You did, Mary (Barra); you electrified the entire automobile industry.”
“You led, and it matters.”
Deleted

Elon Musk's emoji reply to a tweet that referred to a video in which a speaker made these comments during an EV event earlier today:
“Detroit’s leading the world in electric vehicles.”
"You changed the whole story."
“You did, Mary (Barra); you electrified the entire automobile industry.”
“You led, and it matters.”

[delete]
This just goes to show the hypocrisy of @AudubonB. I posted this exact video (with no mention of politics) and he deleted it for being “political”. Some posters are more equal than others I guess.

And how insulting is it to our intelligence when we have to tip toe around here by saying things like “a speaker” when it’s clearly the president of the US.

Last edited by a moderator:
When you think you can't get anymore impressed by EM ....then watch the linked video above....wow.

Looking for cushions to shake...must buy more.
Just his ability to find humor in the ginormous lie told by a certain person yesterday in Michigan is a testimony of character.

I on the other hand am super angry on behalf of Elon and all the employees right now. There’s making stuff up, there’s bald face lying, and then there’s rewriting history so you can sell the merits of a bailout to your taxpayers.

😡

Oh, finally it downed on me: he is not ignoring Tesla out of malice, he thinks it is just one of many brands owned by GM !!
He is simply, uninformed, nobody explained to him that it is a separate company in California (or he was just dozing off when it was explained).
Tesla is not making autos, they are making spaceships... Both figuratively and literally.

Reactions: capster and Paul_SF
Just his ability to find humor in the ginormous lie told by a certain person yesterday in Michigan is a testimony of character.

I on the other hand am super angry on behalf of Elon and all the employees right now. There’s making stuff up, there’s bald face lying, and then there’s rewriting history so you can sell the merits of a bailout to your taxpayers.

😡

It just provides context to why the charts you can find on 538 and RCP are the way they are.

This just goes to show the hypocrisy of @AudubonB. I posted this exact video (with no mention of politics) and he deleted it for being “political”. Some posters are more equal than others I guess.

And how insulting is it to our intelligence when we have to tip toe around here by saying things like “a speaker” when it’s clearly the president of the US.

The Moderators are similar to referees in sports. They occasionally make bad calls. What do professional athletes do when they receive a bad calI? They complain for a second or shake their head and continue to play . . . . they move on. . they don't walk off the field, court or the pitch in protest.

The moderators are not always going to get things right, but we need them. So if you're the recipient of a bad call, just shake your head and continue to play.