Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think GM is going to be way ahead of Tesla in terms of battery technology in very short order. When your entire product line needs to be recalled and you have to redesign your entire battery pack multiple times a year due to safety concerns, it forces iteration at a much faster pace than Tesla could ever dream of.

This was a joke, if not clear.

Be careful. The thing about these numerology coincidences is that this kind of person tries every number combination of a large set of numbers. processed in different ways until they find a coincidence. Then, they only present the one they found, not the hundreds of failed attempts to find meaning. And they often have to bend the narrative to fit their desire. One example would be counting the eight and zero as an eighty. Another example is using the number of default digits on an iPhone and then continuing on to show the significance of the digits not displayed. Basically, it's cherry-picking from a very large pool to find a coincidence. Which is why I said I would be amazed if 12/9 turns into a date of split significance.

Your calls may or may not pay out but, if they do, it's probably not because Elon was dropping breadcrumbs.

Fortunately (or unfortunately TBD), I'm too conservative to risk more than some couch cushion money on a gamble like this. I hedged by paying a little more for half of them to expire Jan 21. That way Q4 has some odds of getting me back to even if this conspiracy doesn't happen.

I think GM is going to be way ahead of Tesla in terms of battery technology in very short order. When your entire product line needs to be recalled and you have to redesign your entire battery pack multiple times a year due to safety concerns, it forces iteration at a much faster pace than Tesla could ever dream of.

This was a joke, if not clear.
In related news, General Electric is continuing to lead the way with their autogyros.

This is why we here are largely disillusioned by Wall Street.

I believe if you ask Ford management they know they are fighting to survive. Numbers on a spreadsheet don't always tell the whole story.

Reactions: UncaNed
First- thanks for the source...

Second- WTF is the pack material that it weighs as much as the cells, osmium?
They tore down the mach-E for inspiration. Hoses, fluids, valves (fluid & electronic). I'm guessing over-doing structural support (which might be substantial for an off-road-safe heavy battery pack), cooling, bad design & misreporting - combination most likely.

Edit: Tesla-related: It just doesn't seem to be a serious competitor or complement to what Tesla are doing. I can only assume it's intended to harm EVs, or shows a level of incompetence that is shocking but believable. many more Teslas will be sold from Hummer adverts that Hummers will be sold.

Last edited:
Of course....but investment grade for Ford... Junk for Tesla??
Just look at this way, there's going to be so much crow eating by everyone by the end of 2023 when legacy auto is in shambles and Tesla is doing 2.5 million annually.........so just sit back and be amused by them in the meantime.

I've waited 10 years for this. Where Tesla's growth causes Tesla's production to leapfrog all of legacy auto within a short time period, causing disbelief across the entire spectrum. We're literally here, it's starting this quarter. So I'm very much content to sit back, watch the show, and very much enjoy the next 2 years.

Last edited:
I believe if you ask Ford management they know they are fighting to survive. Numbers on a spreadsheet don't always tell the whole story.

I agree. As of late Ford seems to have been hit in the face with a bucket of cold Tesla water, which is a promising sign in my opinion. Plus the Mach-E is a decent EV, not Tesla good but one of the better competitors available today to Tesla cars. And the Lightning should sell very well for Ford if they can produce enough of them.

GM seems to be lying to themselves, the public, and the shareholders, simply in an attempt to make it seem they are in better shape than they actually are.

Today most of the market is down, particularly the EV stocks, both Ford and GM are down as I write this, yet TSLA is one of the few stocks in the green despite 95% of the rest of my watchlist being red. This isn't an anomaly, the market knows Tesla is the leader of the EV market and long term this will be extremely obvious.

In related news, General Electric is continuing to lead the way with their autogyros.

Not to mention Kodak leading the way to digital cameras! American innovation at it's finest.

The parallels are amazing. GM had the first modern EV, the EV1 but they terminated the project. Kodak invented the world's first digital camera but they terminated the project (because it would compete with their lucrative film processing business). Kodak went bankrupt as digital took over photography and the government did not bail them out. How long does GM have?

Off topic but anyone else having trouble selling covered calls from their account? Mine won’t let me as of yesterday even though I had sold 10 as part of a spread on Monday and then bought the sold ones back on Tuesday to be 10 long. I can call it in to a broker but can not do it myself. I called in three times yesterday to see if it was fixed and they said they had people working on it. Does not look like it is fixed this morning. Conspiracy in me says the only reason you can’t sell CCs is if you don’t have shares, I have the shares but what if my brokerage has sold too many short and they can’t or are getting close to can’t and this is some sort of throttle? Merrill Lynch.

Your post doesn’t cover politics, berate others, or tell Elon what to do. I have no idea why you’d post it here. /s

More off topic musings: I’m waiting for sub 1000 SP to pick up some shares. Tesla has always given multiple chances at buy points in the past. In case that doesn’t happen, I’m monitoring volatility to pick up spreads or calls if it drops. If all else fails, I’ll exercise some ITM Jan calls instead of closing them.

Last edited:
This just goes to show the hypocrisy of @AudubonB. I posted this exact video (with no mention of politics) and he deleted it for being “political”. Some posters are more equal than others I guess.

And how insulting is it to our intelligence when we have to tip toe around here by saying things like “a speaker” when it’s clearly the president of the US.
Nothing hypocritical whatsoever. After many hundreds of thousands of posts in this thread and its predecessors, even dunderheaded Mods have been able to discern an inviolable pattern:

If even ONE post concerning a current or recently former US President is allowed to remain up, this thread goes to hell. Full stop.

1637248902738.png

I fully agree with the concepts posted here by @Krugerrand and @Mengy - as well as the sentiments posted by @ggies07 this morning. I also find it helpful that @Curt Renz posted a link to the speech along with a short narrative:

1637249279417.png

Elon responded to the video Warren Redlich had posted that @Curt shared on TMC. Elon has 64 Million followers on Twitter as of this morning...........so there are already at least 64 Million people around the globe that have the ability to know that these statements that have frustrated most all of us on TMC were made by Joe Biden, the current President of the United States. By the end of today I would guess that number is well over 100 Million people around the globe. There are also a lot of people that read TMC each day to see a perspective that isn't carried anywhere on mainstream media. And for many of those folks English is a 2nd language. Many of us over the years have fought the FUD battle on many social platforms not just because we are TSLA investors, but because we sincerely believe in Tesla's mission to make the Planet a more sustainable place for all of us. And on TMC we have learned that FUD battle is a battle that is more sizeable than most less-informed individuals could ever imagine, that it includes many individuals/institutions/companies/and even governments that the mainstream media otherwise presents to the world as pro-renewable energy and pro-sustainability.

We cannot fight that most-important FUD battle when we tip-toe around the identity of the FUD sources........especially when those sources have gone to great extents to represent themselves as pro-clean energy and pro-Climate Change to the rest of the world. Thus, when a "certain person" or a "speaker" is making a concerted effort to mislead/misrepresent facts about Tesla and/or about the most efficient and most effective path towards a more sustainable Planet, then I sincerely believe that it is in the best interest of everybody and of the Planet to ensure that we can communicate the information regarding the identity of that "certain person" or "speaker" correctly and concisely to anyone reading this forum from anywhere around the globe, whether English is their first language or not. Facts fight FUD.

There is a good ol' baseball metaphor for this - the three umpires sitting at the bar discussing how they call balls and strikes.

The first umpire says "I call them as I see them"
The 2nd umpire says "I call them as they are"
and the 3rd umpire says "They ain't nothin' until I call 'em"

IMO, when the goal is to fight FUD, the fight amounts to little more than 'nothin' until you "call 'em"

Honestly all the unearned praise heaped on Not-A-Tesla, while disappointing, has an interesting side effect:

It relaxes Tesla's competitors. Ultimately this puts Tesla even further ahead. This has little negative impact to EV adoption in general (since only Tesla knows how to make EVs in large volumes and GM has proven that they suck at it) but should have a positive impact on TSLA (and therefore my wallet) since Tesla increases their lead among competitors.

View attachment 734324

I fully agree with the concepts posted here by @Krugerrand and @Mengy - as well as the sentiments posted by @ggies07 this morning. I also find it helpful that @Curt Renz posted a link to the speech along with a short narrative:

View attachment 734325

Elon responded to the video Warren Redlich had posted that @Curt shared on TMC. Elon has 64 Million followers on Twitter as of this morning...........so there are already at least 64 Million people around the globe that have the ability to know that these statements that have frustrated most all of us on TMC were made by Joe Biden, the current President of the United States. By the end of today I would guess that number is well over 100 Million people around the globe. There are also a lot of people that read TMC each day to see a perspective that isn't carried anywhere on mainstream media. And for many of those folks English is a 2nd language. Many of us over the years have fought the FUD battle on many social platforms not just because we are TSLA investors, but because we sincerely believe in Tesla's mission to make the Planet a more sustainable place for all of us. And on TMC we have learned that FUD battle is a battle that is more sizeable than most less-informed individuals could ever imagine, that it includes many individuals/institutions/companies/and even governments that the mainstream media otherwise presents to the world as pro-renewable energy and pro-sustainability.

We cannot fight that most-important FUD battle when we tip-toe around the identity of the FUD sources........especially when those sources have gone to great extents to represent themselves as pro-clean energy and pro-Climate Change to the rest of the world. Thus, when a "certain person" or a "speaker" is making a concerted effort to mislead/misrepresent facts about Tesla and/or about the most efficient and most effective path towards a more sustainable Planet, then I sincerely believe that it is in the best interest of everybody and of the Planet to ensure that we can communicate the information regarding the identity of that "certain person" or "speaker" correctly and concisely to anyone reading this forum from anywhere around the globe, whether English is their first language or not. Facts fight FUD.

There is a good ol' baseball metaphor for this - the three umpires sitting at the bar discussing how they call balls and strikes.

The first umpire says "I call them as I see them"
The 2nd umpire says "I call them as they are"
and the 3rd umpire says "They ain't nothin' until I call 'em"

IMO, when the goal is to fight FUD, the fight amounts to little more than 'nothin' until you "call 'em"

Although I agree with everyone’s sentiment regarding clowns, I like this being an investor thread, as opposed to a FUD fighting thread. History shows that it cannot be both without excessive moderation and angst.