Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And if it is true it is a couple of months. Rather a short delay then a bad launch. Tesla doesnt want another launch like Model 3 or refreshed Model S.
I’m calling it now, Cybertruck delayed because of late change to add 4-wheel steer-by-wire. Better yoke usability, deletes steering column, and enables tank turn & crab walk. We’ll see if I’m right in two weeks.

OMG a few months! Tesla should always announce much further out and beat expectations. Next up Tesla bot is late.
I really feel that Tesla sees the slow ramp that other EV truck manufacturers are planning and saying. Hey why rush lets go production when we can go big. So production process fully ironed out and battery production very strong. Not first mover advantage, but full mover advantage.

I’m calling it now, Cybertruck delayed because of late change to add 4-wheel steer-by-wire. Better yoke usability, deletes steering column, and enables tank turn & crab walk. We’ll see if I’m right in two weeks.
You forgot refrigerator under the front seat armrest for cold drinks and a tailgate door that folds out 9 times with a step.

So, after completion of that extensive thought process the conclusion is:

You have no idea what happens.
Simplified for cats....there's a 95% chance we hit ATH by Valentine's Day IMO.

That was quite a premarket head fake. And we're off to max pain land....which sits at 1065 today.

I really feel that Tesla sees the slow ramp that other EV truck manufacturers are planning and saying. Hey why rush lets go production when we can go big. So production process fully ironed out and battery production very strong. Not first mover advantage, but full mover advantage.
I kinda agree. We all remember the hullabaloo about GM beating Tesla to the punch with the Bolt... And how did that work out?

Rebuttal:
Panasonic and CATL recognised the form of the 4680 is the future even BEYOND when Tesla makes all the batteries they need. What they see is Tesla will buy all we can make NOW, and then when Tesla doesn't want them everyone else will be having their hand out for them because the form will be recognised for its advantages.
There is firm data that Panasonic, LG, CATL are each now making 4680 test cells. While not explicit, I would think it likely that they will have different chemistries.
CATL is now advanced with their new Sodium Ion cells. The ones they are now testing, however, seem to be LFP. Factually they are not saying anything other than that they are testing the 4680 form factory for Tesla.

I kinda agree. We all remember the hullabaloo about GM beating Tesla to the punch with the Bolt... And how did that work out?
Or the massive deliveries of the Electric Hummer in Q4 2021, maybe Tesla should announce that indeed the Cybertruck will deliveries Q4 2022 and then show the launch in December and double the Hummer launch numbers.

Here in the UK I have learned that LG are now replacing all / many of the cells in their home (stationary) storage battery solutions. So too are SolarEdge as these are LG. Initially it was a software patch (limiting the charge only to be in the 20%-90% range I think); then it was "only replacing a few affected batches"; now it seems to be a full replacement of everything. So this LG / GM pouch problem is not just a vehicle thing. Oh, and it is Kia as well. Perhaps more interesting is where these cells will go, once they have been taken out.

If it’s delayed (again), more likely it’s:

* Gigapress not on premise
* 4680 production ramp too slow
* Stainless folding issues
* Other assembly line issues

Those are the big show stoppers for getting the truck out the door.

And if it is true it is a couple of months. Rather a short delay then a bad launch. Tesla doesnt want another launch like Model 3 or refreshed Model S.

I think once Tesla gets their Cybertruck ducks in a row, the speed of the production ramp, and the monthly volumes, and the rate at which they are able to increase it within the first year is going to elicit a new kind of shock and awe. This will impress all the more because the other EV trucks production ramps will already be on full display, for the whole world to see. Conventional thinkers, slow to grasp reality, still believe legacy auto's strength is being able to effortlessly ramp to high volumes. And that owning the customer base of the three best-selling lines of trucks in the US gives legacy auto a huge leg up on converting those customers to EV trucks. Then there is the belief that truck owners have undying loyalty. Cybertruck's stunning production ramp will make it clear who the new leader in manufacturing really is and, as time goes on, the sales numbers will blow out of the water any idea that Tesla cannot effectively convert Ford, Chevy and Ram customers to the best modern pickup truck the world has ever seen.

Previously, I thought Cybertruck would have a slow ramp, due to it being such a new way to make a vehicle and being rushed into production. This rush into production was driven by a desire to de-risk the chance of a slowdown in growth caused by no new Tesla models. But now I think, with that risk having evaporated with unprecedented demand for their existing models, Tesla has decided the best way to reduce risk is to take more time to ensure Cybertruck design and production plans are more mature and well-proven so they can hit the ground running.

There are probably other factors (including batteries) playing into this slower approach to initial production. It could be their metal foundry, the new plant being constructed right now outside of Houston, is behind schedule and, rather than risk switching suppliers of the metal used to make the Cybertruck during the ramp, they have decided to de-risk potential production problems by ramping with the local foundry. That will that lower material and transport costs but, more importantly, it will ensure consistent material quality. The stainless steel that will be used to make the Cybertruck is, at the moment, very much a low-volume specialty product and the exact properties of it will have significant variation from supplier to supplier. These are subtle differences that can have an outsized effect upon the ease with which Tesla can make the Cybertruck efficiently due to minute differences in grain structure, and variations in grain structure through the sheets, that can affect things like the amount of springback after bending. It will be much easier to dial in the ground-breaking production processes while dealing with only one metal supplier using new roll-forming machines and quality control processes.

From the point of view of an eager wannabe Cybertruck owner this gradual slipping of initial production dates is painful and agonizing and it's impossible for me to emphasize that strongly enough. But it's not white-washing reality for me to say that, from the point of view of a Tesla investor, the slower, more deliberate entry to ramp is music to my ears! This de-risking of major production ramps is important for investors holding out-sized positions in a company valued for outsized growth. With Tesla having firmly established themselves in the world of auto making, they are afforded the luxury of taking a more mature approach to growth by de-risking the design of the Cybertruck, de-risking the supply chain and de-risking the chances of last-minute production SNAFU's.

As an investor, that's exactly what I want to see. Day to day volatility will continue to be extremely high, but this more relaxed timeline for Cybertruck should lead to a less chaotic multi-year TSLA chart.