Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry 🥺. I got onboard because ARK was pumping Workhorse, and it looked like it had a shot at the USPS contract (😳). But I saw couple articles that indicated they were having problems with their prototype, and you know what they say about prototypes and production.
Ya. I really wanted electric mail vans to happen. But then, I was always one of the kids who clapped for Tinkerbell to live...

Sawyer had more "breaking" stuff that is incorrect.

Spoiler: it has only passed the house committee, not the house
This should so be illegal, never mind the fact that its counter to the US's phase out targets. Hopefully the governor drops this turd.

Just because Lucid is having production issues doesn't mean they are a fraud. Production is hard, and Lucid isn't planning high volume anytime soon, with a plan like that turning a profit will be extremely difficult. I think they are just being realistic about it rather than sugar coating it.

Tesla makes it look easy, but it took them a decade to get here. All of these competitors are going to have a very rough time for many years out of the gate. Lucky for us TSLA investors our company is past the hurting phase. :cool:
I’m not sayin that I think lucid is a fraud, but it seems disingenuous to me when their CEO is touting their “leadership role” in the EV space and not until after their SPAC merger that the true risks are made public and their production goals are sharply revised downward.

I hope Lucid is successful but I don’t think it’s unfair to criticize their shortcomings. Lucid’s valuation is very rich and as this is an investor forum I believe its reasonable to discuss what a fair value for Lucid would be. Some here could be considering an entry point and possible competitive factors.

How do we know that?

I ask because Ford has repeatedly stated the Mach E is profitable, even as recently as a few months ago.

I can buy it's BARELY so...and only by counting the emissions credits (which is why more of them go to the EU than the US)... but why are you convinced they're not only repeatedly publicly lying, but lying at the rate of 5-10 grand per car?

At a small scale (<3k/month) it isn't high enough volume to produce profit. Reading the article more...

"The key to making the Ford Mustang Mach-E program profitable from day one – due to the high cost of EV batteries – is of course scale, which is precisely why the automaker is working on producing its own batteries in-house as well."

They don't have scale and will most likely never achieve scale as it competes against the Model Y which will saturate market when Austin ramps (hopefully sooner than later) 2nd half of this year.

And it isn't just the batteries, it is the BMS, battery housings, motors, inverters, gearboxes, chassis, wiring harnesses...etc. All of it bought assemblies from 3rd parties. No profit for Ford. I wish they were making their own stuff and when they do make stuff it seems solid (from Sandy's teardown) but it is just too late.

I'll be the first to congratulate them if they ever produce a 1st party battery. I'd anticipate that to be 2027 earliest. They simply won't last that long and I'm worried they won't make it to the end of the year if Ford credit suffers.

I’m not sayin that I think lucid is a fraud, but it seems disingenuous to me when their CEO is touting their “leadership role” in the EV space and not until after their SPAC merger that the true risks are made public and their production goals are sharply revised downward.

I hope Lucid is successful but I don’t think it’s unfair to criticize their shortcomings. Lucid’s valuation is very rich and as this is an investor forum I believe its reasonable to discuss what a fair value for Lucid would be. Some here could be considering an entry point and possible competitive factors.
Yea, it's a growth stock. It's going to be for a long time. Why do you think they have to have profits now? They're going to be pre-revenue for a long time just like Tesla was.

jhm said:

I have this fantasy wherein Ukraine kicks Putin's butt, builds a Tesla Gigafactory, and cranks out EVs and batteries at a pace fast enough to never be harassed again by Russia. I see in the people and their leader and ability to work like hell to defend and rebuild their country. They can definitely move at Musk speed to get things done.

@JustMe That is pure fantasy but if it came to pass it would be the most badass thing EM ever did. And that’s saying a lot.

@EVDRVN If that happened I can promise you I will go work there for free to get it running. I have many distant relatives there and if I was not at my present age I would go fight. Ukranians are tough, my grandmother could kick Putins ass, seriously. I saw him when I was in Russia last summer and the only word is coward. Rant over.

My fantasy would be that some Russian oligarch clique topples Putin, gets a regime change going, Russia joins the EU /NATO - and Tesla builds the next GigaFactory in St Petersburg (or whatever the name is now if it has been changed). That would help the mission big time and the folks there too; Russia and the adjoining areas have huge areas for sun and wind renewables; plenty of engineering talent (esp computing) there too. This would be the rational thing to do - why isn't it happening .. Tesla would the be the largest company in the world by orders of magnitude - probably split up into multiple areas besides energy - O yeah it was a dream (folks being rational and not greedy/ selfish)

And, I forgot, facts, reason don't change people's minds <<<-- note, very relevant to Tesla/ Tesla FUD :

If you permit an explanatory digression:

Why.Facts.Dont.Change.Our.Minds.s.jpg

Except Tesla was valued at 1/20th of lucid when at this stage
Tesla Q3 2012
Production: 350 cars
net loss:110 million
Market cap: 3.5B

Lucid Q4 2021
Production: ~250???
net loss: 1.045 billion
Market cap: 47 B

Ok, but whose paying for this valuation?? Who are yall pissed at?
I don’t think anyone is pissed (I’m certainly not). So far as I can tell these are observations useful in identifying valuations.

If you want a crappy design.

If making 5 billion dollars on over 126 billion dollars worth of revenue is a good design then I am afraid to ask what a bad design is. This is at peak TAM btw. So basically it only goes down from here if the wind blows slightly harder than normal.

If you want to be a bank, be a bank. The banks lend money to borrowers with APPRECIATING assets. Ford loan money to people with depreciating asset. That is some fire they are playing with for just 5 billion dollars worth of chump change.
I agree. I just think that it'd be a mistake to assume car companies like Ford couldn't shift the profits from financing to primary sale if they wanted to.

And either way, $5B earnings off of $100+ billion revenue with high fixed costs is a weak business.

I'm very confuse reading this.
"Ford sold 4,371 Mustang Mach-E vehicles in January and February. Approximately 2,001 Mustang Mach-E vehicles were sold in February 2022, down by 46.5% compared to February 2021 when Ford sold 3,739 units of the all-electric crossover. In January, Ford sold 2,370 Mustang Mach-E vehicles."
but apparently:
"Ford’s electrified vehicle conquest rates climbed to 54%, 13 percentage points higher compared to February 2021."

I seem to remember reading that union membership is incompatible with employee stock compensation? Is that true?

He tweeted "Why pay union dues and give up stock options for nothing?".
But in a later tweet replying to a question said "No, UAW does that."
What he argues he meant was that the UAW had never got stock options for the employees as part of a negotiated package, so had they been union they wouldn't get the stock options they have now. (EDIT: He's argued that the UAW doesn't want employees owning stock because that helps create a them v us attitude).

I'm very confuse reading this.
"Ford sold 4,371 Mustang Mach-E vehicles in January and February. Approximately 2,001 Mustang Mach-E vehicles were sold in February 2022, down by 46.5% compared to February 2021 when Ford sold 3,739 units of the all-electric crossover. In January, Ford sold 2,370 Mustang Mach-E vehicles."
but apparently:
"Ford’s electrified vehicle conquest rates climbed to 54%, 13 percentage points higher compared to February 2021."
Conquest rate = _Fraction_ of sales replacing a vehicle to an owner replacing a vehicle of another make.
The increase is probably to be expected.
The fanbois will get the car early, and as their sales fall away it leaves a more natural mix.
But also, pretty much any EV will have conquest sales because of the limited availability.

Last edited: