Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Small data point - We bought our Model Y in February 2021 for $51,990, today that car on the same configuration is $64,990. We have a LR Model X on order from a year or so ago, and are expecting to use the Model Y as trade-in. Every month, the trade-in value 'expires' and I have to input the mileage for them to revalue the trade-in (you would think they could just pull the data if I authorized them to to that, anyways...).

Every month or so when I do this the re-valued trade has crept up a few hundred dollars, so that when I last updated in late-January the trade in was something like $53,500.

Yesterday it came in at $58,900. Almost $7,000 more than when new, a 13% increase. This is for a 13-month old car with 7,000 miles on it.

Almost a coin toss if I should have sold TSLA to buy appreciating Teslas!

This must have something to do with investing in TSLA, so shared here...
Where do you put in the tradein value. In April we should be taking delivery of a new Model S LR and recent events tell us to sell/tradein our 2015 Model S. Not sure if we should sell or trade in. Is the added value possible in selling worth the hassle.

I think I got a crick in my neck when I involuntarily reacted to this article's title.

BAF? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Where is resistance?
Resistance is useless

1648044805741.png

Ask yourself why the construction of the lithium hydroxide plant at Giga Texas was delayed. Oh, that's right. A 3-person appointed 'environmental' panel in N. Carolina is 'concerned' about dust on the road! 18 month delay!

The claim this is a regulator problem has been debunked multiple times- not sure why you keep repeating it.

As a former investor in them, and living not TOO far down the road from the project, I've followed this a bit.

Piedmont Lithium has been grossly incompetent in getting this moving- in fact this is mentioned in some of your own links so it's unclear you really read them?

YOUR second source said:
The delay is a result of Piedmont not yet applying for a state mining permit, or a necessary zoning variance

Not sure how that's anyones fault but Piedmont. More on that below

YOUR first source said:
The company, however, has not applied for a state mining permit or a necessary zoning variance in Gaston County, just west of Charlotte, despite telling investors since 2018 that it was on the verge of doing so.
In short- they told investors in 2018 they were about to file permits- which they didn't... then in mid-2019 they said they expected to apply for them "in the coming months".... the story is from 2021 and points out they still had not filed any permits

Not sure how that's anyone to blame but Piedmont themselves.

One of the board members points that out- asking why Piedmont signed a supply deal for a mine they haven't even filed paperwork to operate years after claiming they would do so.

Piedmonts excuse for this was they didn't have "time or resources" and "didn't even know what to tell them" until now. So why did they claim they were about to file 3 years previous?

They also cancelled meetings with the board on just a couple of days notice claiming they weren't prepared.

Your story also mentions they now hope to apply for a state mining permit "this summer"

You know- the permit they said back in 2018 they were about to apply for.

And that they hoped production would begin by second half of 2023... which is why the other link you gave mentions they're now having to delay delivery to Tesla. Because THEY are years behind on even filing for permits, let alone starting to build anything, let alone produce anything, from the project.

You can't blame "the regulators" because Piedmont, years after claiming they were about to do so- still haven't even filed anything for them to approve.

Again- Not sure how that's anyone to blame but Piedmont themselves.

Mining nickel by Tesla itself has not been hinted at if I recall correctly.

IIRC, Tesla made a capital investment in this nickel-mining joint-venture in New Caladonia:

"MELBOURNE, Oct 13 (Reuters) - Prony Resources said on Wednesday Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) had agreed to purchase around 42,000 tonnes of nickel in a multi-year deal - a pact that is set to make the New Caledonian miner a key supplier of the metal to the U.S. electric car maker.​
"Prony, which bought the loss-making nickel operations in the French territory from Brazil's Vale SA (VALE3.SA) this year, added it aims to produce 44,000 tonnes of nickel by 2024, double its expected 2021 output."​

Clearly, Tesla will enter business relationships as required to secure their materials supply. That's just how Tesla rolls. :D

Cheers!

IIRC, Tesla made a capital investment in this nickel-mining joint-venture in New Caladonia:

"MELBOURNE, Oct 13 (Reuters) - Prony Resources said on Wednesday Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) had agreed to purchase around 42,000 tonnes of nickel in a multi-year deal - a pact that is set to make the New Caledonian miner a key supplier of the metal to the U.S. electric car maker.​
"Prony, which bought the loss-making nickel operations in the French territory from Brazil's Vale SA (VALE3.SA) this year, added it aims to produce 44,000 tonnes of nickel by 2024, double its expected 2021 output."​

Clearly, Tesla will enter business relationships as required to secure their materials supply. That's just how Tesla rolls. :D

Cheers!
The article states Tesla came to a supply agreement with Prony, but Tesla hasn't acquired any part of Prony if I'm reading this correctly. (Alluding to your reference to a capital investment)

Either way, as I implied in my earlier post, Tesla has indeed been thinking of and sorting out battery cell material supply chains before the OEMS even drew a concept electric car.

It's my main bull thesis for TSLA and why "the competition" can never catch up even by throwing lots of money at the problem.

And now there's nowhere to go but up. No one's sitting around waiting to sell at $1075. Earnings models are completely out of whack and getting whackier. True shorts are F'ed. MM's with short positions need to cover.

I think that last one is likely what we're seeing. Just an unwind from aaaalllll the options-based MM shenanigans of the last 2-3 months.

Now we move into the squeeze phase where everyone starts buying far OTM options. Fun times.

Where do you put in the tradein value. In April we should be taking delivery of a new Model S LR and recent events tell us to sell/tradein our 2015 Model S. Not sure if we should sell or trade in. Is the added value possible in selling worth the hassle.
Try KBB cash(KBB guarantees the dealer the cash value so no risk for them .. at least that is how it worked in NJ) value or Vroom if you want no hassle .. Tesla trade in for my older 2017 MS was a joke < 50% original purchase price .. they dont want older MS w/o FSD capability
I sold to GMC dealer :) and got ~70% of original purchase price last week.." you did it Mary" ... selling used Tesla may be GMs new business model

if you like psychos showing up at your house then sell to private party

Last edited: