Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After about a year of waiting, I've done my part for Q2 earnings. And boy, did it leave me with a full-time grin!

IMG_6411.jpg

And while a good number of those chips are needed for things like power electronics, the battery management system, etc., a lot of them in Tesla's case are to make the car futuristic - the built-in always-on cell connection, FSD-ready, the great entertainment system, etc.

There remains a niche to make a far less chip-intensive EV ... a stripped-down low-tech beast that has the chips to run electric, but little else. This could be the mass market EV - no bells and whistles, no FSD computer, no 360 cameras, just carbon-clean driving with regen and decent performance. Tons of chip savings there. As Tesla drops the battery manufacturing cost over the next 4 years (per the Battery Day 5-year approximate timeline) I wonder if we will see this - from them, or someone else using the cheaper battery tech enabled by Tesla's R&D and expected manufacturing advances. I think some have called the postulated Tesla version of this concept the "Model 2" but as yet I can't see Tesla dropping their implicit branding related to super-futuristic features in every car.
I got one of those minimalistic EVs (in addition to the 2 Teslas in the garage, poor thing has to stay outside), although it is from Mitsubishi:
1651682873594.png

Been running for over 10 years now, range is very small (just a city runabout), but it is perfectly functional for local errands, shopping etc.

IF (and that's a very big IF) GM produces a $30k Equinox EV, it will be a gamechanger for the industry. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen soon, but someday.
Good question. I actually see this role being filled to some degree by Hyundai already. The Kona for example seems like a relatively lower priced pure EV. I think demand for this is enormous. The only problem is they can't build them fast enough. I am seeing them around more frequently now. For my $ the Tesla response to this is "great" - the market is clearly big enough for all these sectors to be filled. How and when Tesla goes downmarket has long been a question (starting with the decision to not really produce much of the SR M3). If other manufacturers fill this niche before Tesla that's a net positive.

I don't think it's physically possible for Tesla to manufacture enough $37k Model Y's to meet demand. Call me a fanboy, but in this environment I can't imagine young families buying anything else. TCO would be lower than any reasonable ICE option, for a vehicle 10x better an no emissions.

The problem with Tesla moving down market to me is mostly Elon. He won't sell a base Model Y without FSD, and really doesn't seem to have an appetite to do that for ANY car ever.

I still maintain that Model Y/3 will end up being the furthest down Tesla goes, and they skip right from there to the robotaxi. And I am absolutely NOT a FSD fanboy or optimistic on it. I just think Model Y is going to take over the world and they'll keep scaling it for like 3 years.

Why build anything else? You've already forced the others to do that Android-level manufacturing for you because they'll never compete at the top.

Seems to me there are way too many rural/ low density areas where RoboTaxi would be difficult or impossible to pull off. Between here and Bend there are 20 small towns most of which are too small for some kind of robotaxi service. Lots of broke people there or people who are on fixed income.

There needs to be some option for those folks aside from "Buy Used Cars".

I do think Tesla is going to release a down-market car eventually. Maybe a return of the $35k M3 if nothing else.

$64k is a lot for a vehicle, but that's the purchase price, not the effective price due to lower total cost of ownership. Maybe drop 10k from that.

But yeah, that leaves a lot of market still. The options are that Tesla does build a smaller/cheaper line of sedans/hatches/CUVs, or Tesla cracks robotaxi and services a portion of that market in that way.

In the past, Elon has stated that Tesla will make a vehicle for every major market segment. The only reason they wouldn't is if the RT business were just booming and supply was still constrained.
In my opinion, Elon has moved past line extensions and is fully committed to robotaxi. I'm not even sure he's all that interested in the CT anymore. If they ever produce the Roadster it will purely be out of obligation. There MIGHT be a compact for China but in the US, no van, no compact, no nothin.

In other words, getcho Tesla while ya can.

I'll add that if interest rates indeed get hiked 1/2%, and we then see inflation numbers easing, the Fed may decide to "play the next 1/2% hike by ear"...worrying that too drastic an increase could plunge us into recession. We might find that the NEXT hike is "contingent on continuing worsening conditions" which I think is unlikely. I'm generally hearing people say they think things are starting to settle now.

Just a gut feel, but unless there is significant fresh news I think this will be a buy the news event.
Market is expecting 1/2 a point increase and no other changes from previous plans for the remainder of 2022. Also, Jerome may say something that is determined hawkish, so there's that.

Yep. In this bear market PE compression on growth stocks is a real thing. It's one reason why I feel TSLA might trade relatively sideways for a year or two before it really takes off, bringing our PE down to something much lower which Wall Street will feel more comfortable with.

So please don't take this as a harp on you or to call you out, but when someone says they think TSLA will trade sideways for a year or two, there really needs to be context/reason given besides just saying "bear market". This is more for those on this forum that maybe are new investing and don't understand the dynamics of TSLA's fundamentals, what TSLA's current earnings mean for future fundamentals, and how the macro market plays into that dynamic. I understand you've said you're a conservative investor, but there's a difference between being conservative and irrational.

The dynamics at play:

TSLA specific:

- Current EPS gives a forward P/E of 80.
- Tesla's 2022 EPS will likely be at least Q1 2.86 + Q2 2.86 + Q3 3.5 + Q4 4.5 = GAAP EPS of $13.72. These are relatively fair, if not conservative numbers. They're definitely not bullish numbers consider the jump in revenue for Q3/Q4 and we know earnings are going grow at least 2X the revenue growth due to operational leverage of Austin/Berlin reaching volume + Shanghai hitting new production capacity levels. That all flows to operating margin.
- Thus TSLA TTM P/E will be 66 if TSLA is at 917/share at the end of the year
- A GAAP EPS in Q4 of $4.5 will give a Forward P/E of 51
- If Tesla prints GAAP EPS of $13.72 for 2022, then it very likely, if not conservative, to think Tesla will print GAAP EPS of $25 for 2023.....which then gives TSLA a TTM P/E of 36 if the share price were still 917/share with a Forward P/E of around 25.

Macro Specific:

- As I pointed out a couple days ago, S&P Forward P/E is currently about 19. Which is pretty much right on the 50 year average P/E ratio for the S&P.
- Even during the 2008 financial crisis and following years, the P/E ratio of the S&P only got down to 14.87. It was mostly in the 16-18 range for those years.
- Meaning the market is pricing in effectively a 2008 financial crisis
- More historical context, throughout the 90's, which probably the most comparable to the economic dynamics for today, the S&P average a P/E of 20 for that decade.........all while Fed Fund rates went between 4-6%.

Other Stock comparisons:

- Even with massive drawdowns in high P/E stocks, I can routinely find plenty of stocks which still have P/E multiples that are 2-4X their current earnings and projected earnings growth.
- You can't have TSLA at a Forward P/E of 50 with over 100%+ earnings growth and have tons of other stocks at Forward P/E ratios of 20-40 when they're only growing earnings 7-15%. It simply doesn't work that way.

Have to sell stock for repairs …

My Model X started making some weird noises coming from the front suspension. Brought it in for service. Changed
- aft link assembly (both sides)
- fore link assembly (both sides)
- tie rod ball (both sides)
- driven Hub (both sides)
total costs over $5,000

After picking it up I noticed there were still noises so I brought it back again. Now the air spring needed replacement. Additional cost $3,500

I was very taken aback. Where are all these people telling me they drive 500.000 miles with only changing the washer fluid? I talked to the lady at the reception and she said that this is normal for higher mileage Model X. They are now coming in in droves with similar issues. She has worked at other high-end dealerships (Lexus. Mercedes) but she never seen anything like this with Model X. The other day there was a client who needed both front and rear suspension repair. Total cost $16,000!

The lady told me that Tesla - being a newer company- doesn’t have the experience in designing good suspensions and now we are paying the price for that.

We also talked about FSD. She told me to not hold our breath for having this anytime soon. My believe in Tesla is shaken to its core..

... I talked to the lady at the reception and she said that this is normal for higher mileage Model X. They are now coming in in droves with similar issues....

I am curious, what kind of mileage are you talking about here? 100k? 200k? 500k? "High Mileage" is rather vague.

We also talked about FSD. She told me to not hold our breath for having this anytime soon. My believe in Tesla is shaken to its core..
I'm not sure she is in a position to have a big scoop on FSD. I'm not completely sold on it hitting by end of year either, but I'm not sure I would take the word of someone at the service center as gospel on this.