Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'Component shortages' can and is used by GM and F to provide false justification of production decrease. While it is actually is a problem, the extent they use it is just a lie.

To uninformed mob, media and ivestors it does sound better than 'insert actual reasons here' :
-our products are not competitive anymore so we can't sell as much as we used to.
-we have zero EV strategy and we just have shown mockups instead of actual products (GM/Nikola)
-our tech is years behind and we'll need bailout eventually.
-and so forth...

Instead they just say "component shortages" which apparently explains all of actual hidden problems.

Just checked: My local Ford dealer has 55 vehicles in stock and is running a Manufacturer's Financing Special of 1.9% (originally 3.9%). This includes the popular Explorer model. Why give away 1.9% financing when demand exceeds supply? Not adding up.

Here's another question for those that have been following TSLA a lot longer than me. Assuming Tesla was not capacity and supply constrained, and could build all they could sell, what do you think the annual demand in the US would be for the MY (forgetting the competition in the EV space for the moment)? $64k plus is a lot of money for a compact CUV, for a lot of working class families. Or perhaps another way to look at this, what is the total compact CUV market in this price range, of all vehicles (ICE and BEV?). I really don't have a clue. I would think that would somewhat determine the upper-end potential of MY sales.

Next question-a lot more RAV4s, Equinox and CRVs are sold than MYs, and many in the $30k range. Eventually I think Tesla is going to have to compete in this market. Now is not that time-would be dumb to waste constrained resources building $30k cars (if they could) when able to sell every $65k car they can produce. But IMO that market will be saturated pretty quickly and growth will depend on going "downmarket". Do you agree-and how soon do you see this happening? IF (and that's a very big IF) GM produces a $30k Equinox EV, it will be a gamechanger for the industry. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen soon, but someday.

Ready to skyrocket?
ted-lasso-afc-richmond.gif

Yes.

Ford is in a dilly of a pickle.

By the time F-150 production gets ramped back up. Cybertruck will be hitting the road and eating all top trim market share.

These guys are so F'ed, good thing the "EV subsidies" are really starting to roll in. How many times we gonna bail these clowns out?
As long as they continue to fill politician’s coffers….

Just checked: My local Ford dealer has 55 vehicles in stock and is running a Manufacturer's Financing Special of 1.9% (originally 3.9%). This includes the popular Explorer model. Why give away 1.9% financing when demand exceeds supply? Not adding up.
And Ford and GM inventory built up as sales were way off in Q1. Although inventory is still way below "normal" pre covid days.

Agree something is not adding up. If gas prices stay high it could be the beginnings of an ICE fall off as people wait to get an EV.

TLDR

We have reach peak oil investment due to climate change policies. Oil companies are no longer investing in increasing production as they see renewable transition inevitable. They can crash oil prices to slow down the transition, but making more money per barrel oil by keeping supply low is the swan song they choose to play.

They need to stay disciplined as hell for this to stick. Right now events have worked out great for them.

Which party agrees in the end to leave their fossils in the ground as demand starts to decrease?

Eh, wishful thinking at this point.

Reactions: MitchMitch
component shortages

The saddest part of this is that 99% of the mob acutally believes it blindly. I've heard this 'explanation' numerous times from very many people.

The other factor is that EVs are much simpler vehicles (notwithstanding initial R&D and scaling of manufacturing of appropriate technologies). Lots fewer components leads to fewer sources of supply disruption. Unfortunately the one component they are especially dependant on is microchips and microcontrollers.

I saw a quote from one of the OEMs -- I think maybe Ford -- that their EVs used 1500+ chips per vehicle. I wonder if Tesla is similar, or if they've been able to consolidate down to a smaller number if they aren't forced to buy whatever "package" of item/controller chip/software a supplier might bundle together.

You can find the European tracker here: Europe Tracker

There were 404 Model Ys registered in Germany for April but I believe these are delayed registrations from Q1 Shanghai shipments.
I believe the May registrations will give us some insight.

View attachment 800368
Was in Mannheim, Germany last week, and saw Y's everywhere. My daughter, who lives there, said she noticed a steady increase in the number of Tesla's around town for the past couple of months. Sitting in a cafe just kept seeing them, unless it was someone circling the block. Most were white Y's. The guy in Frankfurt I rented a Model Y LR to drive in Germany, also had a new Performance Y he just took delivery of the week before.

And Ford and GM inventory built up as sales were way off in Q1. Although inventory is still way below "normal" pre covid days.

Agree something is not adding up. If gas prices stay high it could be the beginnings of an ICE fall off as people wait to get an EV.
I suspect recent inventory build up is a result of stealerships ridiculous markups and price gouging. Only desperate, stupid or wasteful buyers will pay the terrorists. Regular people will just wait if they can.

I saw a quote from one of the OEMs -- I think maybe Ford -- that their EVs used 1500+ chips per vehicle. I wonder if Tesla is similar, or if they've been able to consolidate down to a smaller number if they aren't forced to buy whatever "package" of item/controller chip/software a supplier might bundle together.
Hard to say. Lots of things are controlled via network communications these days, as opposed to discrete inputs back to a single controller. Meaning at least one "microchip" of some sort on every one of those networked devices or sensors. So it's certainly possible.

Wondered the same thing. Even with interest rates climbing and demand supposed to be crazy I see TV advertisements with 0% financing.

And while a good number of those chips are needed for things like power electronics, the battery management system, etc., a lot of them in Tesla's case are to make the car futuristic - the built-in always-on cell connection, FSD-ready, the great entertainment system, etc.

There remains a niche to make a far less chip-intensive EV ... a stripped-down low-tech beast that has the chips to run electric, but little else. This could be the mass market EV - no bells and whistles, no FSD computer, no 360 cameras, just carbon-clean driving with regen and decent performance. Tons of chip savings there. As Tesla drops the battery manufacturing cost over the next 4 years (per the Battery Day 5-year approximate timeline) I wonder if we will see this - from them, or someone else using the cheaper battery tech enabled by Tesla's R&D and expected manufacturing advances. I think some have called the postulated Tesla version of this concept the "Model 2" but as yet I can't see Tesla dropping their implicit branding related to super-futuristic features in every car.

Here's another question for those that have been following TSLA a lot longer than me. Assuming Tesla was not capacity and supply constrained, and could build all they could sell, what do you think the annual demand in the US would be for the MY (forgetting the competition in the EV space for the moment)? $64k plus is a lot of money for a compact CUV, for a lot of working class families. Or perhaps another way to look at this, what is the total compact CUV market in this price range, of all vehicles (ICE and BEV?). I really don't have a clue. I would think that would somewhat determine the upper-end potential of MY sales.

Next question-a lot more RAV4s, Equinox and CRVs are sold than MYs, and many in the $30k range. Eventually I think Tesla is going to have to compete in this market. Now is not that time-would be dumb to waste constrained resources building $30k cars (if they could) when able to sell every $65k car they can produce. But IMO that market will be saturated pretty quickly and growth will depend on going "downmarket". Do you agree-and how soon do you see this happening? IF (and that's a very big IF) GM produces a $30k Equinox EV, it will be a gamechanger for the industry. I'm not holding my breath for that to happen soon, but someday.
$64k is a lot for a vehicle, but that's the purchase price, not the effective price due to lower total cost of ownership. Maybe drop 10k from that.

But yeah, that leaves a lot of market still. The options are that Tesla does build a smaller/cheaper line of sedans/hatches/CUVs, or Tesla cracks robotaxi and services a portion of that market in that way.

In the past, Elon has stated that Tesla will make a vehicle for every major market segment. The only reason they wouldn't is if the RT business were just booming and supply was still constrained.