Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm legitimately quite surprised that a company which had at one point a $1T market cap doesn't already have a large and busy legal department. Elon could have saved himself a lot of trouble already, like with that bogus racial discrimination lawsuit, if he always had a large team of trained corporate attack lawyers ready to strike at a moment's notice.
????

Is nobody paying attention or do you just not know who Elon Musk is??????????

The guy, quite literally, assumes the best of people. He’d have felt there was no need for a huge legal department because he has tremendous faith in people - smartly or dumbly.

He’s realizing now, from years of utter crap and with recent situations, he’s going to have to hold a lot more people’s feet to the fire and make them accountable for their actions.

This actually makes me super bullish. Elon’s getting ready to fight and fight hard. If you’ve got kids or grandkids, you want this to happen for their sake and future. A focussed, angry Elon is a snowball down a mountain. Get out of the way or be run over.

You're not alone. I don't like the conspiratorial feel to his tweets. He seems off-balance to me.

I’m not seeing much difference with his tweeting habits of the last five years. Maybe people get this impression because his recent tweets are fresh and the memories of old tweets have faded away. But he’s been like this for what seems like forever.

I just went over his tweets of the last days again and he seems pretty balanced. Maybe some don’t like that he’s out for the Dems now, but he has been bashing Bernie for years already and Biden for months. Nothing new.

news about factories in 2 places in a weeks time -- is Tesla finally over the 4680 hurdles(in design, production rate etc.) and is finally taking initiatives to expand??
I guess no stock buybacks in the works if 2 factories are being decided on :)

Anybody have any more information on this? Now we're seeing a fire in a 2019 Model 3. I didn't think that ever happened. And no apparent reason.

At least they reported "But still, the number of non-electric car fires far outweigh the number of EV fires." Albeit at the end of the article. Didn't Ford just do a recall of ~90K Explorers and the equivalent Lincoln for potential spontaneous combustion and advise owners not to park in their garages while they're waiting for the vehicle to be worked on? Surprised that wasn't featured heavily in the news... Not.

Last edited:
I’m not seeing much difference with his tweeting habits of the last five years. Maybe people get this impression because his recent tweets are fresh and the memories of old tweets have faded away. But he’s been like this for what seems like forever.

I just went over his tweets of the last days again and he seems pretty balanced. Maybe some don’t like that he’s out for the Dems now, but he has been bashing Bernie for years already and and Biden for months. Nothing new.
The only difference is the stock price is almost down 50% from ATH. People are not thinking clearly and letting emotions take over. This too shall pass.

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 5.49.24 PM.png

As investors in and supporters of Tesla, we should remember that Elon Musk has giftedness and autism and these make him different than most people. I say that simply in a factual sense. We are a diverse species and he is an outlier individual who is not remotely neurotypical.

Both of these are spectrums with a wide gamut of common associated psychological characteristics and behavioral tendencies, with varying degrees of intensity between individuals. Elon is on the extreme end of the giftedness spectrum (IQ probably in the 160-180 range) and the mild-to-moderate end of the autism spectrum with a psychological profile formerly diagnosed as Asperger’s Syndrome before being absorbed into the broader Autism Spectrum Disorder bucket. I’ll just call it Asperger’s because that’s what Elon called it and it is a kind of high-functioning Autism.

Over a century of modern scientific study of giftedness has shown that it’s about much more than just intellectual aptitude or musical or kinesthetic talent. It’s in fact mostly a condition of unusual overexcitability relative to most of the population, and it’s most intense in profoundly gifted individuals.

Per Wikipedia, Asperger’s:
is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests.[7] It was said[14] to differ from other forms of ASD by relatively unimpaired language and intelligence.[15] The syndrome was named after the Austrian pediatrician Hans Asperger, who, in 1944, described children in his care who struggled to form friendships, did not understand others' gestures or feelings, engaged in one-sided conversations about their favourite interests, and were clumsy.

Autistic characteristics tend to become less obvious in adulthood,[23] but social and communication difficulties usually persist.[24]
It is characterized by qualitative impairment in social interaction, by stereotyped and restricted patterns of behavior, activities, and interests, and by no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or general delay in language.[54]Intense preoccupation with a narrow subject, one-sided verbosity, restricted prosody, and physical clumsiness are typical of the condition, but are not required for diagnosis.
A lack of demonstrated empathy, affects aspects of communal living for persons with Asperger syndrome.[56] Individuals with Asperger syndrome experience difficulties in basic elements of social interaction, which may include a failure to develop friendships or to seek shared enjoyments or achievements with others (e.g., showing others objects of interest); a lack of social or emotional reciprocity (social "games" give-and-take mechanic); and impaired nonverbal behaviors in areas such as eye contact, facial expression, posture, and gesture.[17]
People with Asperger syndrome may not be as withdrawn around others, compared with those with other forms of autism; they approach others, even if awkwardly. For example, a person with Asperger syndrome may engage in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic, while misunderstanding or not recognizing the listener's feelings or reactions, such as a wish to change the topic of talk or end the interaction.[39]This social awkwardness has been called "active but odd".[17] Such failures to react appropriately to social interaction may appear as disregard for other people's feelings and may come across as rude or insensitive.
People with an Asperger profile might not be recognized for their empathetic qualities, due to variation in the ways empathy is felt and expressed. Some people feel deep empathy, but do not outwardly communicate these sentiments through facial expressions or language. Some people come to empathy through intellectual processes, using logic and reasoning to arrive at the feelings. It is also important to keep in mind that many people with Asperger profiles have been bullied or excluded by peers in the past and might therefore be guarded around people, which could appear as lack of empathy. People with Asperger profiles can be and are extremely caring individuals; in fact, it is particularly common for those with the profile to feel and exhibit deep concern for human welfare, animal rights, environmental protection, and other global and humanitarian causes.”
If you watch the TED interview from 42:36 when invited to speak about his Asperger’s, in a rare moment of emotion displayed (not surprisingly since he is an Aspie) in his voice and facial expression, he said:

I think everyone’s experience is gonna be somewhat different, but I guess for me social cues were not intuitive, so I was just very bookish and I didn’t understand these—I guess others could sort of intuitively understand what was meant by something. I would just tend to take things very literally as just like the words as spoken were exactly what they meant. That turned out to be wrong. [Laughs] They are not simply saying exactly what they mean; there’s all sorts of other things that are meant. It took me a while to figure that out. So, you know, I was bullied quite a lot. I did not have a sort of happy childhood, to be frank. It was quite, quite, quite rough. But I read a lot of books. I read lots and lots of books. And…gradually I sort of understood more from the books that I was reading and watched a lot of movies…It took me a while to understand things that most people intuitively understand.​

His Asperger’s and giftedness gives him on the plus side:
  • Intense drive for social justice and humanitarian causes
  • Extreme self-discipline
  • Obsession with factual truth and absorbing information, especially about physics and how machines work
  • The ability to think logically with cognitive ease, applying abstract reasoning and the scientific method for essentially all of his thinking with an almost incredible ability to avoid the influence of irrational cognitive bias traps
  • Incredible focus on his special interests
  • The cognitive power to make things happen
  • A childhood and adolescence primarily spent devouring nonfiction books and “typing strange symbols into a computer by [himself] all night”
  • Savant-level skill at designing and leading organizations with social engineering principles
  • Obsessive desire to optimize everything even when it requires rocking the boat and causing social discomfort
  • Lack of caring about social hierarchy and humility that leads to working on an IKEA desk in the middle of the Fremont factory and sleeping on the floor and openly mocking how wrong his own past decisions were
  • Imagination and creativity
  • Stand up comedy abilities
These characteristics are indispensable for achieving the type of success he’s had as a leader. I think also they’re indispensable in attracting other autistic gifted people to join the team, and having a critical mass of such individuals is a big reason on why the culture at his companies is so uniquely focused on dropping ego, challenging authority, demanding evidence, avoiding irrationality, treating everyone fairly, and working like dogs for audacious humanitarian objectives.

On the downside it gives him:
  • Severe difficulty reading the room without active analysis and conscious cognitive effort
  • Severe difficulty judiciously filtering the words he says or considering their social consequences
  • Impulsivity
  • Depressive tendencies and a life-altering experience of existential dread during adolescence that most people don’t experience until at a more mature age and can either rationalize it away with some illogical explanation or ignore the questions successfully by focusing on daily life
  • Difficulty expressing empathy
  • Tendency to go off on verbose, socially inappropriate, tangential monologues
  • Rudeness, often unintentionally
  • Odd speech patterns, body language, verbal tics and abrupt transitions that can make listeners distracted from the message being communicated or even make listeners misinterpret the meaning altogether
  • A strong tendency to speak his mind when he thinks injustice is occurring and take action on controversial issues even when it’s upsetting people
You may notice some connections between these characteristics of his disability and the mistakes he’s has made and the social misunderstandings he’s had over the years. Elon Musk is a human and the bad will come with the good. This is why he has good leaders around him like Gwynn Shotwell who compensate for his weaknesses with their own strengths. I will take him any day over his typical CEO counterparts who are charming charismatic sociopaths who care more about playing politics to gain money, status and power than they care about pushing humanity forward.

I think that we as a forum and we as a human race could stand to cut Elon some slack when his mistakes result in inconveniences for us or upset us, especially since we are informed enough to zoom out and see the long-term trajectory. I was disappointed to perceive a lack of compassion on this board in recent months, but then I thought maybe it’s partly due to lack of awareness of where Elon is coming from and the challenges he faces on a daily basis from a disability he didn’t ask to have. I think it’s pretty clear he’s trying his best to figure it out despite lifelong struggles with bullying and negative outcomes of social interactions. If he weren’t trying then maybe we could be rightfully judgmental. I would no more get angry at an autistic person for struggling to read a room than I would at a dyslexic person for struggling to read a book. It’s fine to criticize mistakes and spread suggestions for alternative behavior on social media that may percolate to him, but the anger and character attacks seem to be inappropriate. Let’s spend more time appreciating the positives like the fact that he has been working himself to the bone for love of humanity for the last 30 years and succeeding with an unparalleled track record. I can’t wait to see the epic Tesla production ramp and Starship orbital flights this year. And maybe FSD.

Last edited:
????

The guy, quite literally, assumes the best of people. He’d have felt there was no need for a huge legal department because he has tremendous faith in people - smartly or dumbly.

He’s realizing now, from years of utter crap and with recent situations, he’s going to have to hold a lot more people’s feet to the fire and make them accountable for their actions.

This actually makes me super bullish. Elon’s getting ready to fight and fight hard. If you’ve got kids or grandkids, you want this to happen for their sake and future. A focussed, angry Elon is a snowball down a mountain. Get out of the way or be run over.

Yep…I think some here and in the Tesla community have actually been a bit ahead of Elon in understanding just how ugly of a fight it will be to fulfill Tesla’s mission. He‘s getting there methinks.

*in no way do I minimize the crap he’s already experienced with both Tesla and SpaceX….but I do think there’s a part of him that can miss the worst of human nature.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
????

He got the correct lessons from his Shanghai team. They seem to be a very litigious bunch, successfully challenging numerous false claims.

As investors in and supporters of Tesla, we should remember that Elon Musk has giftedness and autism and these make him different than most people. I say that simply in a factual sense. We are a diverse species and he is an outlier individual who is not remotely neurotypical.

Both of these are spectrums with a wide gamut of common associated psychological characteristics and behavioral tendencies, with varying degrees of intensity between individuals. Elon is on the extreme end of the giftedness spectrum (IQ probably in the 160-180 range) and the mild-to-moderate end of the autism spectrum with a psychological profile formerly diagnosed as Asperger’s Syndrome before being absorbed into the broader Autism Spectrum Disorder bucket. I’ll just call it Asperger’s because that’s what Elon called it and it is a kind of high-functioning Autism.

Over 1 century of modern scientific study of giftedness has shown that it’s about much more than just intellectual aptitude or musical or kinesthetic talent. It’s in fact mostly a condition of unusual overexcitability relative to most of the population, and it’s most intense in profoundly gifted individuals.

Per Wikipedia, Asperger’s:
is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests.[7] It was said[14] to differ from other forms of ASD by relatively unimpaired language and intelligence.[15] The syndrome was named after the Austrian pediatrician Hans Asperger, who, in 1944, described children in his care who struggled to form friendships, did not understand others' gestures or feelings, engaged in one-sided conversations about their favourite interests, and were clumsy.

Autistic characteristics tend to become less obvious in adulthood,[23] but social and communication difficulties usually persist.[24]
It is characterized by qualitative impairment in social interaction, by stereotyped and restricted patterns of behavior, activities, and interests, and by no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or general delay in language.[54]Intense preoccupation with a narrow subject, one-sided verbosity, restricted prosody, and physical clumsiness are typical of the condition, but are not required for diagnosis.
A lack of demonstrated empathy, affects aspects of communal living for persons with Asperger syndrome.[56] Individuals with Asperger syndrome experience difficulties in basic elements of social interaction, which may include a failure to develop friendships or to seek shared enjoyments or achievements with others (e.g., showing others objects of interest); a lack of social or emotional reciprocity (social "games" give-and-take mechanic); and impaired nonverbal behaviors in areas such as eye contact, facial expression, posture, and gesture.[17]
People with Asperger syndrome may not be as withdrawn around others, compared with those with other forms of autism; they approach others, even if awkwardly. For example, a person with Asperger syndrome may engage in a one-sided, long-winded speech about a favorite topic, while misunderstanding or not recognizing the listener's feelings or reactions, such as a wish to change the topic of talk or end the interaction.[39]This social awkwardness has been called "active but odd".[17] Such failures to react appropriately to social interaction may appear as disregard for other people's feelings and may come across as rude or insensitive.
People with an Asperger profile might not be recognized for their empathetic qualities, due to variation in the ways empathy is felt and expressed. Some people feel deep empathy, but do not outwardly communicate these sentiments through facial expressions or language. Some people come to empathy through intellectual processes, using logic and reasoning to arrive at the feelings. It is also important to keep in mind that many people with Asperger profiles have been bullied or excluded by peers in the past and might therefore be guarded around people, which could appear as lack of empathy. People with Asperger profiles can be and are extremely caring individuals; in fact, it is particularly common for those with the profile to feel and exhibit deep concern for human welfare, animal rights, environmental protection, and other global and humanitarian causes.”
If you watch the TED interview from 42:36 when invited to speak about his Asperger’s, in a rare moment of emotion displayed (not surprisingly since he is an Aspie) in his voice and facial expression, he said:

I think everyone’s experience is gonna be somewhat different, but I guess for me social cues were not intuitive, so I was just very bookish and I didn’t understand these—I guess others could sort of intuitively understand what was meant by something. I would just tend to take things very literally as just like the words as spoken were exactly what they meant. That turned out to be wrong. [Laughs] They are not simply saying exactly what they mean; there’s all sorts of other things that are meant. It took me a while to figure that out. So, you know, I was bullied quite a lot. I did not have a sort of happy childhood, to be frank. It was quite, quite, quite rough. But I read a lot of books. I read lots and lots of books. And…gradually I sort of understood more from the books that I was reading and watched a lot of movies…It took me a while to understand things that most people intuitively understand.​

His Asperger’s and giftedness gives him on the plus side:
  • Intense drive for social justice and humanitarian causes
  • Extreme self-discipline
  • Obsession with factual truth and absorbing information, especially about physics and how machines work
  • The ability to think logically with cognitive ease, applying abstract reasoning and the scientific method for essentially all of his thinking with an almost incredible ability to avoid the influence of irrational cognitive bias traps
  • Incredible focus on his special interests
  • The cognitive power to make things happen
  • A childhood and adolescence primarily spent devouring nonfiction books and “typing strange symbols into a computer by [himself] all night”
  • Savant-level skill at designing and leading organizations with social engineering principles
  • Obsessive desire to optimize everything even when it requires rocking the boat and causing social discomfort
  • Lack of caring about social hierarchy and humility that leads to working on an IKEA desk in the middle of the Fremont factory and sleeping on the floor and openly mocking how wrong his own past decisions were
  • Imagination and creativity
  • Stand up comedy abilities
These characteristics are indispensable for achieving the type of success he’s had as a leader. I think also they’re indispensable in attracting other autistic gifted people to join the team, and having a critical mass of such individuals is a big reason on why the culture at his companies is so uniquely focused on dropping ego, challenging authority, demanding evidence, avoiding irrationality, treating everyone fairly, and working like dogs for audacious humanitarian objectives.

On the downside it gives him:
  • Severe difficulty reading the room without active analysis and conscious cognitive effort
  • Severe difficulty judiciously filtering the words he says or considering their social consequences
  • Impulsivity
  • Depressive tendencies and a life-altering experience of existential dread during adolescence that most people don’t experience until at a more mature age and can either rationalize it away with some illogical explanation or ignore the questions successfully by focusing on daily life
  • Difficulty expressing empathy
  • Tendency to go off on verbose, socially inappropriate, tangential monologues
  • Rudeness, often unintentionally
  • Odd speech patterns, body language, verbal tics and abrupt transitions that can make listeners distracted from the message being communicated or even make listeners misinterpret the meaning altogether
  • A strong tendency to speak his mind when he thinks injustice is occurring and take action on controversial issues even when it’s upsetting people
You may notice some connections between these characteristics of his disability and the mistakes he’s has made and the social misunderstandings he’s had over the years. I think it’s pretty clear he’s trying his best to figure it out despite lifelong struggles with bullying and negative outcomes of social interactions. Elon Musk is a human and the bad will come with the good. This is why he has good leaders around him like Gwynn Shotwell who compensate for his weaknesses with their own strengths. I will take him any day over his typical CEO counterparts who are charming charismatic sociopaths who care more about playing politics to gain money, status and power than they care about pushing humanity forward.

I think that we as a forum and we as a human race could stand to cut Elon some slack when his mistakes result in inconveniences for us or upset us especially we are informed enough to zoom out and see the long-term trajectory. I was disappointed to perceive a lack of compassion on this board in recent months, but then I thought maybe it’s partly due to lack of awareness of where Elon is coming from and the challenges he faces on a daily basis from a disability he didn’t ask to have. It’s fine to criticize mistakes and spread suggestions for alternative behavior on social media that may percolate to him, but the anger and character attacks seem to be inappropriate. Let’s spend more time appreciating the positives like the fact that he has been working himself to the bone for love of humanity for the last 30 years and succeeding with an unparalleled track record. I can’t wait to see the epic Tesla production ramp and Starship orbital flights this year. And maybe FSD.
Honestly, I’ll take Elon and his literalness over all the emotional, dramatic judgement some are flogging here, any day of the week. The latter I find entirely too irrational.

When there's market turmoil like there is now, you can pretty much identify 2 types of investor:

Those with brains (also known as rich people)

Those with emotions (also known as poor people)

I remember when this forum mainly consisted of the former
I agree...but when the rich people with brains start getting emotional and poor.....this is what happens, as evident on TMC in 2022 :)

j/k.....have a good weekend y'all!!

It is almost as though pushing the stock price
Let me help you. Don’t read them, then you don’t have to make assumptions about his mental/emotional state with no information to base your opinion on.

What is wrong with you people?
I have to read them, it is part of investing in Tesla, etc. They are stressing me out...

So I watched the May 16th all in vid... I think it calmed me down.

Reactions: AZRI11