Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
*considers (for a hot second) coming out of perpetual cocktail hour to go back to school to get a law degree because who doesn’t like a good ole fashion street fight*

Adding: Better Call Saul

If anyone would be qualified for this job, it would be you (meant as the most sincere compliment -- don't come behead me).

Tesla has an active legal department. There are three ways to do this.

1. Tesla does it itself with attorneys on the payroll.
2. Tesla does it itself supplemented by attorneys employed by law firms, but assigned full time to Tesla and potentially on-site at Tesla facilities.
3. Tesla has law firms handle the cases with oversight from its own attorneys.

Musk is now focusing at least the litigation piece on #1, perhaps also #2.

#1 is not common, except perhaps in non-litigation circumstances (e.g., Exxon's corporate and leasing attorneys). Tesla would maybe not be unique in going this path for litigation, but it would be one of the rare exceptions. Normally, litigation is feast-or-famine, so companies tend to lay this off to law firms who can spread unused capacity over several clients and surge when needed.

#2 is increasingly being used by large corporations in the US, but generally not for litigation (that I know of).

There may be differences in how attorney privilege works with #1 versus #2 and #3. Not sure. Not an attorney.

I don't get what this legal department would be used for. Going after whom? Bots / individuals on twitter? News organizations that review Tesla's products?

I don't get what this legal department would be used for. Going after whom? Bots / individuals on twitter? News organizations that review Tesla's products?
Unjust attacks on Tesla. For example states that will not allow Tesla to sell directly, subsidies set to go away right below what Tesla Model 3 costs, subsidies for unionized low paying wages over high paying Tesla wages, competitors paying groups to slander Tesla, news papers faking tests to make Tesla look bad etc etc.

news about factories in 2 places in a weeks time -- is Tesla finally over the 4680 hurdles(in design, production rate etc.) and is finally taking initiatives to expand??
I guess no stock buybacks in the works if 2 factories are being decided on :)
I’m not a lawyer or international trade regulation expert, but I have worked at Boeing for years and received plenty of mandatory ITAR training and I have personally touched military aerospace hardware and technical data.

My understanding is that ITAR does not prohibit export of so-called “defense articles” for foreigners but instead basically requires:
  1. Registration with the US Department of State
  2. Approval and subsequent grant of an export license at Dept of State discretion
  3. Extensive access controls and documentation for compliance thereafter
Selling defense articles into foreign hands is one of the USA’s largest foreign trade sectors. US companies are even allowed to make facilities for defense articles on foreign soil with foreign employees, such as Boeing’s major presence working on military hardware and software in Australia by Australian employees for the Royal Air Force.

You can get a summary here or read the whole thing in the Code of Federal Regulations here.

Note this requirement in § 122.1:

Any person who engages in the United States in the business of manufacturing or exporting or temporarily importing defense articles, or furnishing defense services, is required to register with the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls under § 122.2.

The article linked in is line with this idea. It defines a formal agreement with the Dept of State and the Brazilian government regarding how to handle export of certain US defense articles to Brazil.

Brazil has major advantages for Tesla besides just the SpaceX synergy because it has the 3rd largest nickel reserves globally after Indonesia and Australia, and it’s nearby to the unrivaled South American lithium reserves in Chile, Argentina and Bolivia. Like Berlin, Austin and Shanghai, it also has a fairly central location on its continent relative to the population distribution, which is ideal for logistics once Tesla begins seriously selling in South America. There has been way too much talk from management about lithium and nickel supply and shortening the distance atoms travel to dismiss Brazil as a future Tesla factory location.
This begins to discuss some fo the major factors. For some time the next moves have been highly probable to be Indonesia and Brazil. That is for, probably both Tesla and SpaceX for different but complementary. reasons. FWIW, Manaus has appeal because of the Free trade zone and established industrial base, plus easy ocean access. By air Manaus is typically four hours from Orlando by air.
Hints: AIAB - Aerospace Industries Association of Brazil

Indonesia has both the will and resources to promote battery industry development. ASEAN, despite the political issues, represents a major opportunity. When comparing AESAN and Mercosur both have quite convenient advantages fr multinationals, not least because both have attractive duty arrangements with their own major trading partners. Some of those possibilities have been available for some time but under realized due to multinational tendency to ignore those questions. Details aren't appropriate here because they would quickly go off-topic.

I'll leave it by noting that few of us seem to pay attention to the most logical next steps for Tesla, regularly stated to be achieving more stable and growing supplies of many raw materials. Shipping finished products will be vastly cheaper that shipping raw materials.

NOTE: Discussion with Brazilians date from 2016 and meetings with Bolsonaro have included visits to the US. Suddenly now it becomes news, partly because the first moves came mostly via people in and around Florianopolis, a place with very active environmental industrial activism. OTOH, they're little known in North America.

Last edited by a moderator:
CNBC needs to be a bit less overt when trying to inject fear. Monkeypox!

Screenshot_20220520-211230_CNBC.jpg

Unjust attacks on Tesla. For example states that will not allow Tesla to sell directly, subsidies set to go away right below what Tesla Model 3 costs, subsidies for unionized low paying wages over high paying Tesla wages, competitors paying groups to slander Tesla, news papers faking tests to make Tesla look bad etc etc.

I would say buying the politicians in those states and those that opposed EV rebates would be more effective.

Probably much higher ROI than buying Twitter

I watched a few FSD 10.12 videos. For example:

My conclusions:
Visualization seems a lot improved, more crisp, more consistent, less wobbly. Behavior seems much more confident, faster acceleration and less hesitation. Some error still happens so there is still work to be done. I guess my main conclusion is that Tesla is not stuck at a local maximum. Most of their improvements over the last year has been in improving how fast they can add data and iterate so they can exponetially add data/features etc. This is counteracting that it’s getting increasingly difficult to make progress. So they are still making linear progress towards their goal of FSD by the end of the year.

Example of major mistakes see 7:05 here:
(not sure if the car would have handled it without the intervention, but it was enough bad to scare any rational driver)

Last edited:
As a shareholder and supporter of Tesla mission, I welcome the statement that Tesla is beefing up its legal arsenal.

I think Elon is taking a page from his buddy Peter Thiel. He was pissed by Gawker (Gizmodo, Jalopnik… etc) when they ran articles about his sexual orientations. So, when there was a chance, Thiel foot the legal bills for Hulk Hogan, going as far as forfeiting rights to pursuit through means that would trigger insurance payout (the big money). The lawsuit ultimately led to the demise of gawker and it had to be sold in order to pay Hulk the awarded damage.

Since then, no media in their right mind dared to write anything about Thiel other than actual news.

With Tesla willing to initiate lawsuits, which is nothing for a 500lb mega cap gorilla with almost no debt and 18B sitting in the bank. It’s not exactly someone you want to ever go to court with unless you actually have a case.

All mejor companies do that with something as little as cease and desist letter. It’s about time Tesla taking a different stance on FUD. Staying silent won’t make it go away.

This should stop a lot of FUD from spreading.

"On Friday, May 20, Elon Musk met with Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro and Communications Minister Fábio Faria. The main topics discussed were the planning of connecting rural settlements to the Starlink broadband satellite network. However, besides discussing internet connectivity in rural local schools and Amazon forest monitoring, Musk and Bolsonaro could have considered building a Tesla factory in Brazil, reports Chumbo Grosso."

I love this especially monitoring the Amazon forest. Elon doing whats right and not what just appears right.

Wild theory, and less than even odds of it panning out, but I can say I told ya so.

Twitter is up on the day and looks like Elon may have sold a little more to plug any more financing gaps. I think if he does announce that, that might actually be a positive.

Horrible tape to sell into, but who knows.

Edit: for the record, yes I know Elon said no more sales planned, but of course plans change. Not saying he's going back on his word or anything like that.
Hmm, I don’t think so. Seems like big, big money being put at risk—would love to have a true picture of the short action.

I’m going to guess it is those behind one side’s dark pool money having a hissy fit about losing capability to censor and hostile states aiming to preserve their bot disinformation armies. Both may think they can scuttle the Twitter deal and embroil Elon in the ensuing mess. They’ll cave if and when it dawns on them they can’t.

The usual suspects are piling on to stick it to retail and harpoon Leo, the Spouting Whale 🐳 .

Elon threw down a gauntlet to those backing and carrying water for one extreme long ago, now he’s doing the same for the other. Historic.

In any case, holding through these sorts of things is safest path to the real money, despite the disconcerting volatility. Its easier to hold if you don’t pay much attention when it goes down like this—it’s more fun to watch when it goes up. It may be best just ignore it.

I was hoping you were kidding with that post.
I would say buying the politicians in those states and those that opposed EV rebates would be more effective.

Probably much higher ROI than buying Twitter
Now, not sure what to think of your 2nd post.

Reactions: UncaNed