Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've only limited your exposure to their price gouging. Earlier this year, California was ONE signature away from allowing PG&E from charging people like you (with what I'm estimating as a 18kW solar PV system) $144/month just to be connected to the grid. I, like you, want energy independence, I'm just not sure I'll be able to limit my exposure in state like California!

Oh, there is a reason I'm HEAVILY over-provisioned on solar and batteries. If that passed, I would throw the switch and disconnect from the grid. I would spend 20 years in litigation before I paid that connectivity charge on a 16 kw solar system.

My "backup" would have been to push the system to 20kw, and then get an emergency generator (probably natural gas, but could be diesel or propane).

They want to play this game of chicken, I won't blink.

And yes, that's how corrupt the CPUC is out here, that they even allowed a proposal like that to go to vote. It didn't pass ONLY because the governor received literally hundreds of thousands of phone calls from angry citizens.

Last edited:
View attachment 829789

TL: DR

You led Mary...You led

View attachment 829790
My bet is by the middle of the decade she is retired.

I am not sure having the lowest price, cheapest EV's is the best strategy. Look at the current Bolt. Old school mindset that you need to fit into the current market segments to get volume.

I somewhat believe in the smartphone analogy. Build a product that is far superior in every way and people will pay for it.

The R&D effort to create cheaper battery storage is enormous. Everyone knows that this is the key to a sustainable future, so all the cool kids are working on it and the cool research dollars are being spent on it. Tesla doesn't have to be the one to pioneer lower costs on batteries. Tesla will still benefit. Just look at LFP cells for example.

Cell costs will continue to fall for a long time. Combine that with economies of scale from ramping and that's where you easily get your high margins on Megapacks.

I think Tesla will use their patent on single crystal cathode.

Making an energy storage battery last for more cycles is a big advantage.

Oh, there is a reason I'm HEAVILY over-provisioned on solar and batteries. If that passed, I would throw the switch and disconnect from the grid. I would spend 20 years in litigation before I paid that connectivity charge on a 16 kw solar system.

My "backup" would have been to push the system to 20kw, and then get an emergency generator (probably natural gas, but could be diesel or propane).

And yes, that's how corrupt the CPUC is out here, that they even allowed a proposal like that to go to vote. It didn't pass ONLY because the governor received literally hundreds of thousands of phone calls from angry citizens.
You act like CA is terrible for home solar. Try living in PA just 5 years ago, or NV, or FL, or any of the dozens of states with little or no grid compensation.

CA utilities are corrupt. So are nearly all the rest of them.

I will eat ... something ... if Tesla produces more than a 500k Cybertrucks per year by 2025. So largely irrelevant to the discussion. As is the Roadster.

The Roadster is a "Halo Car" having the most desirable car on the planet raises demand and ASPs for the whole range.

Model S Plaid is doing a good job of filling in for now.

Brand image is more powerful than advertising.

If thousands of Californians show up in Sacramento to protest with their fully charged, bulletproof Cybertrucks, CPUC corruption would disappear.

You act like CA is terrible for home solar. Try living in PA just 5 years ago, or NV, or FL, or any of the dozens of states with little or no grid compensation.

CA utilities are corrupt. So are nearly all the rest of them.

I've lived on both coasts, and in the middle of the country. CA utilities are MORE corrupt than most, and their hostility to solar is a substantial change in CA in the past 5-7 years. In some states, there is a degree of competition (at least at the power producer level) that keeps the utilities somewhat honest. In CA, the utilities are guaranteed monopolies and the governing body that is supposed to set rates is heavily influenced by their political contributions.

TRIVIA FACT - the San Diego state assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez (D) that sponsored much of the anti-solar legislation in recent years (Gonzalez’s latest folly would kill rooftop solar | California Focus) is also the one that told Elon to go F himself. She has resigned . . . to take a lobbying position, LoL.

CA is no longer solar-friendly to the same degree they were previously, and it's deteriorating further. In fact, the utilities are downright solar hostile now.

Trivia fact - in 2021, Texas had more NEW solar installations than California, and if you look at the year over year trend, it's growing. California is no longer the bastion of renewable energy they once claimed to be, they are getting passed by other states.

I'm ELATED that Tesla is forming Virtual Power Plants with their distributed solar+powerwall installations, AND paying their customers handsomely for their participation ($2/kwh during peak draw events). If this can be scaled, it would be a TRUE COMPETITOR to the entrenched utilities, and offer a glimmer of hope for those that really want fairness for utility rates.

Last edited:
I've lived on both coasts, and in the middle of the country. CA utilities are MORE corrupt than most, and their hostility to solar is a substantial change in CA in the past 5-7 years. In some states, there is a degree of competition (at least at the power producer level) that keeps the utilities somewhat honest. In CA, the utilities are guaranteed monopolies and the governing body that is supposed to set rates is heavily influenced by their political contributions.

TRIVIA FACT - the San Diego state assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez (D) that sponsored much of the anti-solar legislation in recent years (Gonzalez’s latest folly would kill rooftop solar | California Focus) is also the one that told Elon to go F himself. She has resigned . . . to take a lobbying position, LoL.

CA is no longer solar-friendly to the same degree they were previously, and it's deteriorating further. In fact, the utilities are downright solar hostile now.

Trivia fact - in 2021, Texas had more solar installations than California, and if you look at the year over year trend, it's growing. California is no longer the bastion of renewable energy they once claimed to be, they are getting passed by other states.

I'm ELATED that Tesla is forming Virtual Power Plants with their distributed solar+powerwall installations, AND paying their customers handsomely for their participation ($2/kwh during peak draw events). If this can be scaled, it would be a TRUE COMPETITOR to the entrenched utilities, and offer a glimmer of hope for those that really want fairness for utility rates.

It might just be economics; why bring on subsidies (to spur an economy) when the state is doing very well in terms of adoption anyways? Just one line of thought.

What Safety score % are they requiring of testers now? And what the heck do they mean by "Aggressive Turning"??

Aggressive Turning
Aggressive turning is defined as left/right acceleration, measured by your Tesla vehicle, in excess of 0.4g. This is the same as an increase in the vehicle’s speed to the left/right larger than 8.9 mph, in one second. Aggressive turning is introduced into the Safety Score formula as the proportion of time (expressed as a percentage) where the vehicle experiences lateral acceleration greater than 0.4g, in either the left or right direction, relative to the proportion of time where the vehicle experiences acceleration greater than 0.2g (4.5 mph in one second), in either the left or right direction. Aggressive turning while on Autopilot is not factored into the Safety Score formula. The percentage shown in the app is the percentage of turning that is done with excessive force when driving and Autopilot is not engaged. The value is capped at 17.1% in the Safety Score formula.

It might just be economics; why bring on subsidies (to spur an economy) when the state is doing very well in terms of adoption anyways? Just one line of thought.

I don't mind if subsidies go away. They have been in place for decades now, originally when solar was 10-20X more expensive than it is now.

Now, there is a solid financial case for solar and solar + batteries which means the industries are mature, and should no longer need subsidies to promote them.

Why not use an auto example? The new Bentley Continental GT totally dominated all US vehicle sales in the >$150,000 segment. Before that the segment was tiny:

Anyway, that is pretty much what has happened with the Bentley Continental. Even VW itself failed to sell their twin, the VW Phaeton, perhaps a stellar used car buy!...if you can endure the running cost and maintenance bills.

Well, a little personal story:
In 2013 my car was a 5.0 litre V10 VW Phaeton. Wonderful car. Massage seats, etc. Indeed the twin of the Bentley Continental.
Till I had a test drive in one of the only 5 Tesla Model S's in the whole of Europe at the time.
In a little shop in the town of Eindhoven in The Netherlands.
The Tesla really was car 3.0, I was completely blown away. And I came not from an ordinary car.
I was so thoroughly impressed by the Tesla, that I ordered my P85 and also bought a bucket load of TSLA.
The rest is... well, turbulent but financially very pleasing history.

Just wait for V2 when they do this with the Powerwall trial they are running. We all know the day will come when they do the exact same thing. Everyone can cut their solar and batteries for a week during peak demand and see how the utilities like loosing all the supplemental power.

Last edited:
Just wait for V2 when they do this with the Powerwall trial they are running. We all know the day will come when they do the exact same thing. Everyone can cut their solar and batteries for a week during peak demand and see how the utilities like loosing all the supplemental power.

Right now, it looks like each specific utility has to opt-in to allow this. It's currently only being trialed in PG&E territory. Call me a cynic (it would be true), but I could see SDG&E never coordinating with Tesla on something like this.

My bet is by the middle of the decade she is retired.

I am not sure having the lowest price, cheapest EV's is the best strategy. Look at the current Bolt. Old school mindset that you need to fit into the current market segments to get volume.

I somewhat believe in the smartphone analogy. Build a product that is far superior in every way and people will pay for it.

Checked earlier, she's 61 in December.

"Wind and solar often were the cheapest form of new power generation even before the recent uptick in fossil fuel prices, IEA said. The agency projects spending on renewables in 2022 will exceed the record $440 billion invested last year. Solar now accounts for about half of all renewable investment, while wind is seeing money shift from onshore installations to offshore projects.

Where annual clean energy spending grew by an average of 2 percent between 2015 and 2020, it is projected to grow 12 percent this year.
"

Last edited by a moderator: