Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the odds of a loan default go down significantly with LG signed on. I have mixed feelings about this loan, but it should help to accelerate the transition, so that's a positive at least.

Ah, but reading the article, LG DID NOT SIGN. It's a new company, an LLC under the Ultium name that signed. So that company can declare BK, walk way, and both GM and LG are in the clear (possibly).

Yeah, smells like 💩

I haven't been paying attention (Plaid is not an option for me, at least not until SP hits all time high), but 48 mile range difference just for the 19" wheels? That's a huge difference!

+13.8%(-12.2%) range difference depending on of you like to look at the positive or the negative.

That kind of math is why I want to run 18" wheels on a Model Y (that and the increased load / towing capacity)

People don't realize all the negatives on the larger wheels. So many look into the smaller wheels after the first tire or wheel gets damaged.

It does look bigger than the Model Y front end I've seen. But I can't say I've paid too close attention to this. If so, the Cybertruck frunk looks a little smaller than I hoped.

Also wouldn't be the first time they've slipped an Easter egg in one of these videos. They had Cybertruck glass in one a while ago. But that didn't mean a whole lot, could just be testing out an early mould.
That's a rear casting of a Y unless they created a different size carbon copy for another model.

The hole is where the battery penthouse with the charger and BMS controllers goes, which is located under the rear seats.
The injection ball at the other end is cut out, leaving an empty cavity for the trunk. The structures on the sides are the longitudinals that serve as crash rails.

I think the odds of a loan default go down significantly with LG signed on. I have mixed feelings about this loan, but it should help to accelerate the transition, so that's a positive at least.
I'm not sure it does help accelerate the transition.

At this point, I think giving GM money is a flat out waste. I suspect @AudubonB has it right, banks are getting cautious giving them money because they've proven they are largely incompetent.

At this point, I think giving GM money is a flat out waste. I suspect @AudubonB has it right, banks are getting cautious giving them money because they've proven they are largely incompetent.

Agreed. As an American tax payer I hate this loan to GM as I don't feel it will be wisely spent.

+13.8%(-12.2%) range difference depending on of you like to look at the positive or the negative.

That kind of math is why I want to run 18" wheels on a Model Y (that and the increased load / towing capacity)

People don't realize all the negatives on the larger wheels. So many look into the smaller wheels after the first tire or wheel gets damaged.
I'd pay more for a Y with 16s, some more off-road happy tires, and about an inch more clearance/ travel.

Ah, but reading the article, LG DID NOT SIGN. It's a new company, an LLC under the Ultium name that signed. So that company can declare BK, walk way, and both GM and LG are in the clear (possibly).

Yeah, smells like 💩
Are the full terms available that anyone can find? I wonder if the same terms will apply to the supposed Tesla Supercharger money to open up the US stations?

I'm not 100% certain it will either, but it sure seems a heck of a lot more productive than flushing billions down the SLS program, or into the military industrial complex. If you can look past the hot air emanating from Barra and POTUS, GM has risen to the challenge in the (somewhat distant) past.

• Funny
Reactions: Ogre

1658773645785.png

It starts.
"Free money, get'cher free money here!"

So the government is loaning GM $2.5 billion. Then the taxpayers will have to bail them out so GM can pay back the money we just loaned them. Wouldn't it be better for the DOE to just give the money directly to the US Treasury?

This reminds me of the guy at a party who decided to pour his beer into the toilet to cut out the middle man. He was much wiser than the DOE.

Good post but I disagree with one thing. AIUI financial projections do not take into account inflation, instead they assume that revenue, income and other company figures will be inflated at the same rate as general inflation. Using "real" dollars like this removes a source of uncertainty and complication from the projections.

That quite depends on the specific use and intent for projections. Because the traditional discount rate is the ...cost of capital and Tesla's is easy to assume but very difficult know, one approach is to assume that 'everything' will "...inflated at the same rate as general inflation" an assumption that is provably incorrect.
I readily agree that there is no reliable valid choice. Discounting at a general inflation rate is often used, but no choice is particularly reliable.

I've participated in many, many debates about this issue. During corporate projects the rate chosen tends to be a corporate decision, not necessarily better, but it does make all internal projects use the same methodology.

I haven't been paying attention (Plaid is not an option for me, at least not until SP hits all time high), but 48 mile range difference just for the 19" wheels? That's a huge difference!
Yes, and the owners of 19" Plaid who avoid launches etc. are getting astounding range. My Model S Plaid is using less Wh/mi than did my previous P3D and that was better than my P85D+. Skipping the specifics because that varies by driver and much else, it is clear that Tesla on the road efficiency has been steadily improving, isn't it? I'll wager everyone who has had multiple Teslas probably agrees with that.

Thus far no other OEM has been able to achieve that continuous improvement.

Someone here recently suggested that I consider a used Model Y vs wait for new next year, and that it might even be a wash to just get both and sell the used. Good idea!

1658774300829.png

Right off Tesla.com, it's a 2021 Model Y Performance, only 10K mi, $79K including FSD. The Tesla used price is comparable to open market used without FSD included (and likely a better loan rate). And it happens to be local so no transport fees.

My order on a new one isn't redeemable per Tesla... which means I'll just see how inflation goes next 6-9 months (not just the vehicle, but potential upsides for FSD as well). Feels like buying an Option. 😁

The first 6 bullets of the leaked FSD Beta 10.13 Release Notes all seem to address Chuck Cook's unprotected left turn situation. This is such a troublesome turn that Tesla sent their team of ADAS drivers to strictly work on collecting data/test 10.13 at this particular location. Latest videos of Tesla's tests Chuck posted show great improvement, but we are unsure which of the turns were made by 10.13 and which by the test driver.

FSD Beta 10.13 Release Notes​

• Improved decision-making for unprotected left turns using better estimation of ego’s interaction with other objects through the maneuver.
  • Improved stopping pose while yielding for crossing objects at “Chuck Cook style” unprotected left turns by utilizing the median safety regions.
  • Made speed profile more comfortable when creeping for visibility, to allow for smoother stops when protecting for potentially occluded objects.
  • Enabled creeping for visibility at any intersection where objects might cross ego’s path, regardless of the presence of traffic controls.
  • Improved lane position error by 5% and lane recall by 12% with a [obscured]
  • Improved lane position error of crossing and merging lanes by 22% by adding long-range skip connections and a more powerful trunk to the network architecture.

Last edited: