Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it uses the new MCS connector.
I had missed this. From InsideEVs:

CharIN says that the MCS is "based on globally aligned requirements and a technical specification to develop the requirements for a worldwide standard", which means that there is a strong hope for global adoption of the MCS for trucks, buses (Class 6, 7 and 8 commercial vehicles in general and more than 1 MW charging rates) and potentially other industries, including marine, aerospace, mining, or agriculture.

The publication of the final MCS standard is expected in 2024, meanwhile, starting later this year, CharIN members will present their respective products implementing MCS.

The MCS is not only a new single conductive plug for megawatt charging but also "the common agreement on one and the same position of the MCS Connector on all trucks worldwide" - all MCS manufacturers will install the charging inlet on the left-front side to simplify the infrastructure layouts.

In Germany, CharIN members are already testing the MCS in the real world.

"A Consortium of interested partners from the industry and research institutes have already started a pilot in Germany, the HoLa project, to put Megawatt Charging for long-haul trucking in real world conditions, and to gain more information about the European MCS Network demand."

I'm assuming the rear-most drive wheels each have an independent motor, and forward drive wheels share a motor.

If you mean the front wheels in front of the driver that turn, then no. It clearly says the motors are only on the rear axles

1661007599996.png

Unless they went with one per axle... But I think that would put the Anti-jacknife at risk. Unless they figured out how to do it with that setup.

Again, can't be one per axle, with only 2 rear axles it has to be doubled up on one of the two rear axles.

With all the tax credit talk related to the IRAct, have we bothered to do the simple math on what this adds to earnings? I know @The Accountant has done earnings projections many years out, should we start adjusting for this?

Tesla has shown a willingness to raise prices as demand overwhelms their ability to supply. IMO a lot of the 2020/21 price bumps were basically to capture extra margin from what Tesla assumed would be an extension and expansion of the EV tax credit(Build Bach Better). But I could see them raising prices even more now that IRAct passed, or at least force a greater percentage of US sales into higher margin trims and raise those prices slightly.

A lot of that depends on how the terms of the legislation are applied, but my guess is we'll be able to capture the credit for all M3/Y sales.

IF(big if) that's the case, then we should be able to expand margins 7500 for each US sale. In 2023 that's what....$6B? For 2024 it'd be over $10B.

That's obviously a best case scenario, but even half that would be phenomenal.

It's my understanding that there is only one steering axle (labeled 1 in the pic below)

View attachment 843009

Leaving three motors to spread between Axle 2 and Axle 3.
Yes, there is only one steering axle. I pluaralize it ennoniously since it's not a single solid axle, but that was poor nomenclature on my part and only fitting for things with dual steer axles.

The infrastructure for trailers isn’t set up for this, but when there are sufficient electric semis, couldn’t trailers be fitted with electric motors controlled by the semi, for steering, power, and battery placement? (Keep in mind I know nothing about trucking.)
I believe ground work for that is done with the airstream trailer concept 'estream' https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...l-trailer-concept-can-park-itself-179574.html

There is a separate thread for that with interesting detail at Airstream/Thor introduce the eStream concept

Last edited:
Australia Bank to end loans on diesel and petrol cars in 2025

Wow would not have expected this. My guess is the real reason is the potential for increased losses on ICE cars due to decreasing resale values. Let's see if other banks around the world do the same.

A plane operating on Autopilot failed to land because its pilots fell asleep. Who else thinks the airline industry should be forced to rename this misleading feature?!?!

Wow would not have expected this. My guess is the real reason is the potential for increased losses on ICE cars due to decreasing resale values. Let's see if other banks around the world do the same.
Yeah this has nothing to do with wanting to be part of the renewable movement. They know that once the threshold is reached, any loans for future ice cars carries a huge amount of risk and to account for that risk, the economics of the loan/lease won’t make any sense anymore. The interest rate on the loan would have to be astronomical to make it account for the loss of value

A plane operating on Autopilot failed to land because its pilots fell asleep. Who else thinks the airline industry should be forced to rename this misleading feature?!?!
Indeed! Plus they weren't flying an auto, they were flying a plane, so it should be called "Planepilot."

/s