Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Notice the T-Mobile announcement doesn’t say voice - only data/text. Likely using the technology from their acquisition of Swarm Technologies. Low bandwidth IOT satellite communications.

edit - must have missed where they said voice - I only heard data/text
They said voice and video at one point, but Musk also said it might take 30 minutes for a message to get through. Perhaps super bursty at first. Now TMobile guy says you found message back and forth “in real time”.

That's a use case, but many IoT devices run on much much lower power profiles and LoRaWAN for connectivity. That's a far more efficient device that can run for days/weeks on battery, but obviously without satellite connectivity.

Reminds me of this announcement by Twilio and T-Mobile back in 2018

They said voice and video at one point, but Musk also said it might take 30 minutes for a message to get through. Perhaps super bursty at first. Now TMobile guy says you found message back and forth “in real time”.
I heard Elon say if you’re lucky in a sparsely used cell you might be able to do short video. Made me think very low bandwidth that would take awhile to upload. Had to drop off after that so maybe more info in the Q&A

Huh?

Not sure where that is all coming from, this all started here, quote from you:

"
I’ve done the homework. The SP is controlled by powerful people who either make up stories to add volatility to the SP or go with the macro flow and enhance those stories to create volatility. An example of the latter has been playing out for years; Recession coming! Recession coming! For sure recession coming now! Pandemic, woohoo! Recession still coming! Recession is here just ignore all the evidence to the contrary! We’re serious now, recession coming! Interest hike good! Interest hike bad! Boom, recession!

Elon is a godsend to these crooks because his actions can easily be used to enhance volatility. Mary Barra may be leading the EV revolution, but nobody cares about her in the scheme of things because as a business figurehead she’s as vanilla as they come. Elon though is honey jalapeño pickle flavor."
Google is your friend. Seriously. Where have you been the last five years of headlines from WallStreet and media flogging the recession story? Where have you been the last ten years of headlines from WallStreet and media every time Elon tweets or farts?

Either stop being purposely obtuse or go pee on a different hydrant; the cat does not find your yipping amusing.

So direct to phone means direct to cars, too, right? Adam Jonas vindicated?
Nope. Tesla uses AT&T as the carrier, so the cars won't get service. (The only real use for it would be to be able to unlock/start the car remotely if you lost your keys with the car in a cell dead zone.)

Now, if Tesla decided to switch carriers to T-Mobile, that would be interesting.

Last edited:
Sign me up with a little cabin in the woods, with solar, battery storage, and an EV + internet. That is the dream...
You're still going to have to signup for Starlink Internet service for your Internet access... This will just allow text messaging and eventually voice calls when you aren't within WiFi range of your Starlink install.

This isn't directly related to Tesla, but I'm confident it will increase the "Musk/Tesla effect." More companies will realize they really need to partner with him where they can, and more of WS will realize that they can't avoid investing in our generation's Edison.

Hertz benefited greatly. T-mobile just unlocked a few million customers (many will switch to T-mobile for goodwill alone). Who is next?

Suddenly a largely text or small video service like Twitter must be looked at in a different light and possibly value.😀
*Me sugar posting on Twitter while trapped under a boulder in a remote mountain range

You're still going to have to signup for Starlink Internet service for your Internet access... This will just allow text messaging and eventually voice calls when you aren't within WiFi range of your Starlink install.
Probably a dumb question, but can you currently perform VOIP calls over Starlink?

Cool. T- mobile has a lead now. Didn’t hear any other Stateside carriers in plan, only other countries. Sounds like an exclusive to me for X years.

Listened to it at a supercharger, but bummer many chargers are physically damaged, ripped open and with sand shoved inside the nozzle so that it fills your connector. Did not happed to me, but another customer warned me, and said it was all fine last night. Maybe 15 units opened up.(Edit more like 6 or 7, removing back panels mostly, and the sand, sad.)

Attachments

• 46E502A7-98E8-4734-B6BF-2A98DDFC7D4C.jpeg
    46E502A7-98E8-4734-B6BF-2A98DDFC7D4C.jpeg
    524.2 KB · Views: 103
Last edited: