Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What else would battery line in Fremont mean ;)

That new bty module line could be to build 4680 packs for Roadster, Models S/X. Once Giga Texas is independent for it's own bty cell production, those Kato Rd. 4680 cells will need to go somewhere. Roadster is my guess, and when Kato Rd gets up to 10 GWh/yr capacity, they'll make enough cells to stop buying 18650s from Panasonic in Japan. This will also help with IRAct funds.

Idra revamped its website recently and now has specs for the 9000 ton (clamping force) Giga Press published in the catalog. Interesting that it’s only 38% heavier than the 6100 model, but max shot mass is 144% higher. 284 kg of molten aluminum will make some huge Cybertruck castings. Maybe even front & rear together for the mystery product?
9437C61A-B0EE-4862-98C5-C9A05F4BDDD9.jpeg

That new bty module line could be to build 4680 packs for Roadster, Models S/X. Once Giga Texas is independent for it's own bty cell production, those Kato Rd. 4680 cells will need to go somewhere. Roadster is my guess, and when Kato Rd gets up to 10 GWh/yr capacity, they'll make enough cells to stop buying 18650s from Panasonic in Japan. This will also help with IRAct funds.
ultimately yes all products will likely go to 4680.

4680 likely needs the new structural packs, new front/rear giga castings, might also need to be high volume (because of how expensive it is to run the giga castings) ... so could also be M3 before the others ...
(+biggest bang for the buck)

• Disagree
Reactions: Captkerosene
Seems like a virtual power plant should qualify as a broadening of product line. Plus existing model lines are so relentlessly improved that model years hardly count, it should be model months since there are more improvements per month than ICE per year IMO 🙂
Moody and others are pretending that Tesla is only a car company. However, because they are just looking for excuses to hinder Tesla, they will just find another excuse once Tesla Energy really starts to contribute. Pay to Play is just that.

I think they can do it vertically!

So you're unaware that Lingang is build on land recovered from the using civil engineering techniques learned from the Dutch? And that the tallest buildings in Lingang are 3-4 stories due to foundation building issues? And that Tesla doesn't have the lease on that land? And food for their workers isn't even an issue?

So vertically. like a strawman? :p

Have they even fixed their first recall fully yet?

They raised prices and announced next year’s model so I guess good timing?

Pretty much. Once the CT and Semi are out they'll likely kick the can further down the road and find something else to use as an excuse.

I think Moody's will only upgrade TSLA if Wall Street pressures them to, meaning the hedge funds who can't invest into junk rated stocks decide they finally want to start buying TSLA and begin pushing Moody's to "allow" them to accumulate.
No need to kick the can. They will want Tesla to have a minimum of 20 different model cars. If they achieve that level then they will want at least 8 different models of energy storage cells.

Tesla will not stop buying batteries from Panasonic, at least not in the next 10 or 12 years. Batteries are the new currency, if Tesla can't make cars fast enough for all the batteries, they will start cranking out Megapacks and Semi's.

The subsidies enabled by the IRA of 2022 will distort markets but even batteries that don't qualify will be worth buying because there won't be enough qualifying batteries to fill American demand. Not even with Tesla cranking out millions. Batteries that qualify will sell for a premium, non-qualifying batteries will make up for that fact by being available for less.

Edit: I see you say stop buying 18650's from Panasonic. Perhaps if Panasonic switches production lines to 4680's. Otherwise Tesla will probably be buying both 4680's and 18650's from them.

Last edited: