Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More German beaurocracy?

From Google translate:

At the beginning of June, the Grünheide main committee approved the plans of the US electric car manufacturer to expand its factory premises and recommended that the local council initiate a procedure for a new development plan. However, Christiani took the item off the agenda shortly before the municipal council meeting. There is still a need for clarification, he said at the time. This is the reason why the development plan is not on the agenda for the next meeting either, Christiani explained on Wednesday. He could not estimate whether the topic will be dealt with this year.

As is always the case with Germany, it is very difficult to disentangle bureaucratic incompetence from malice. Just ask the Ukrainians still waiting for the tanks promised six months ago....

Moderator-deleted garbage post

I don't really care about the 300 and 420 memes.

I'm just watching market cap. My TSLA meme targets are

* 1T (round number)
* 1.3T (AMZN and GOOG)
* 1.5T (round number)
* 1.8T (MSFT)
* 2T (round number)
* 2.5T (AAPL)
* 3T (round number)

Last edited by a moderator:

* 1T (round number)
* 1.3T (AMZN and GOOG)
* 1.5T (round number)
* 1.8T (MSFT)
* 2T (round number)
* 2.5T (AAPL)
* 3T (round number)
4T is mine... I think Tesla becomes the world's first 4T company.

View attachment 852419

I thought Tesla was a US automaker 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔
But not a Detroit automaker. Duggan is the mayor of Detroit. A town where, in the 80's, two autoworkers beat a man of Chinese descent to death with a baseball bat for looking a little too Japanese for their liking. And they walked out of court w something like a $500 fine.

The bear market is officially over.

20220914_075442.jpg

* 1T (round number)
* 1.3T (AMZN and GOOG)
* 1.5T (round number)
* 1.8T (MSFT)
* 2T (round number)
* 2.5T (AAPL)
* 3T (round number)

I can’t believe that Amazon is not only worth more than Tesla, but somehow worth almost as much as Google. It’s honestly absurd. Amazon is easily the most overvalued mega-cap.

Tesla won't quit trying to expand in Germany, but I really wouldn't mind if they put it on the shelf and went elsewhere.
At this point, I think it’s an actual risk for Tesla to keep investing in Germany. They need to diversify to at least one other country to put constant pressure on the German government. To me at least, the German officials have shown time and time again that they can’t be relied on.

I little more info on Ford's dealership ultimatum:

Ford is giving its dealers until October 31st of this year – less than two months – to make a decision that will have huge implications for the future of the franchise. The company is offering its dealers three options:
  • Become a Model E Certified Elite dealership
  • Become a Model E Certified dealership
  • Discontinue selling Model E vehicles effective January 1st, 2024
Ford explains that its Model E dealership strategy will be built upon five pillars:
  • Training: Dealers will need to undergo extensive EV training on an ongoing basis
  • Charging: Model e dealers must have adequate level 2 and DC fast charging, with at least one DC fast charger available to the public
  • Set Pricing: Transparent, non-negotiable pricing available online
  • Excellent physical experience: Model e dealers must deliver an excellent ownership experience, including complimentary pickup and drop off for vehicle service visits
  • Develop digital experience: Invest in building a digital ownership experience for the future
The new rules for Model e dealerships require dealers to post set prices for the electric vehicles online at Ford's website. Customers can view the set pricing, complete the purchase online, and even schedule home delivery. But ultimately, it's the dealer's decision what the set pricing will be for the vehicles, and there will likely be price variation from dealer to dealer.

At what Tesla share price do these market caps get achieved?

current market cap / current price = number of shares

desired market cap / number of shares = price to hit that market cap

eg using rounded numbers for current values : 948,000,000,000 / 302 = 3,100,000,000

so for a 4T market cap, you'd need a price of about 4,000,000,000,000 / 3,100,000,000 = $1290/share

Musk is brilliant. He’s not infallible. He was wrong about covid being over a few months after it started. I’m sure he’s been wrong about many things but he knows how to hire and evaluate smart people to steer him straight.

Not saying he’s wrong. But I’m not gonna blindly accept he’s right over head of an org that exists to decide what’s best for these things.
The same guy that over a year ago called the highest inflation since the Carter years "transitory"? That put off raising the fed rates for a year after it was obvious to everyone in their weekly grocery shopping that we had a serious inflation problem? That ignored rising fuel costs for a year? That is denying that we have been in a recession for months? I don't find Powell (or Yellen for that matter) to have significant credibility. They seem more like mouthpieces for the administration's policies, good or bad, than honestly making an effort to do their jobs within their actual areas of responsibility.

Maybe in a year or so, Giga Kyiv. What a statement THAT would be.
That had occurred to me. Obviously Musk and as a result Tesla are extremely well liked and would get all the support they could want. Risk of further Russian aggression might be an issue of course. Money will surely flow from the EU and US to help rebuild Ukraine as well.

As a shareholder, I might be ok with this risk as it feels like a good thing to do.