Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BTW, don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere in my post did I say "since I purchased many years ago." I perhaps should have included the word "realized" when I was talking about gain or loss, but regardless my post, as I wrote it, is accurate.
Yes - those were my words, in crafting the opposite-side-of-the-coin phrase to parallel your words. My point was simply this: It is valid to feel the pain of each of our unrealized losses since ATH, because it is valid to feel the happiness of the unrealized gains since our purchases.

(I suppose it would also be valid for someone to feel neither the pain of their unrealized losses since ATH nor the happiness of their unrealized gain, but human psychology leads to this rarely <if ever> happening.>

Basically - I simply want everyone to be logically consistent; either unrealized gains matter in both directions for them, or they don't matter in either direction for them. Everyone pick whichever makes sense for them. :)

EDIT: Yes, I fully understand the impossibility of my desire that humans be *logically consistent* with how they *feel*. Still desire it, though. :)

Last edited:
Yes - those were my words, in crafting the opposite-side-of-the-coin phrase to parallel your words. My point was simply this: It is valid to feel the pain of each of our unrealized losses since ATH, because it is valid to feel the happiness of the unrealized gains since our purchases.

(I suppose it would also be valid for someone to feel neither the pain of their unrealized losses since ATH nor the happiness of their unrealized gain, but human psychology leads to this rarely <if ever> happening.>

Basically - I simply want everyone to be logically consistent; either unrealized gains matter in both directions for them, or they don't matter in either direction for them. Everyone pick whichever makes sense for them. :)
Oh I feel the pain, as even though I'm a HODLer, I'm stupid enough to check the SP several times a day (ha, I mean hour). But mental pain and despair is quite different than financial pain and until I sell shares, either for a loss or a gain, I am still financially healthy... unless the margin calls are creeping up on you that is...

Truce?

Oh I feel the pain, as even though I'm a HODLer, I'm stupid enough to check the SP several times a day (ha, I mean hour). But mental pain and despair is quite different than financial pain and until I sell shares, either for a loss or a gain, I am still financially healthy... unless the margin calls are creeping up on you that is...

Truce?
Said more eloquently than I could possibly - so I happily accept your offered truce in place of the full surrender I was prepared to offer after your first paragraph. :)

Due to the news Tesla lowered prices in China:

I just turned my vpn on in Hong Kong and went to Tesla China's website.
It booted me 3 times before I was able to start looking around. It looks like all 3 and Y's are 2023 delivery times except performance models, which are still 2022.

This is the power lever they can use to knock it out of the park and shut up some bears after the initial headlines of them having to do it vs. a smart business move imo.
BYD is the only ev maker in the world not named Tesla making any profit, and they are nowhere near the same margins.
OEM CEO's are going to have some very bad meetings tomorrow. This single move should scare all other ev and ice makers into a new pair of undies..

Due to the news Tesla lowered prices in China:

I just turned my vpn on in Hong Kong and went to Tesla China's website.
It booted me 3 times before I was able to start looking around. It looks like all 3 and Y's are 2023 delivery times except performance models, which are still 2022.

This is the power lever they can use to knock it out of the park and shut up some bears after the initial headlines of them having to do it vs. a smart business move imo.
BYD is the only ev maker in the world not named Tesla making any profit, and they are nowhere near the same margins.
OEM CEO's are going to have some very bad meetings tomorrow. This single move should scare all other ev and ice makers into a new pair of undies..
Good analysis, be interesting to see how it plays tomorrow...

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I just hope WS reads Dave's and Tesla's explanation(s).

They read REUTERS: (btw, the "9% is for the Model 3 P while the Model 3 SR+ decrease is 5%)

Tesla slashes China prices by up to 9% as analysts warn of 'price war' | Reuters

The U.S. automaker and several Chinese rivals have hiked prices several times since last year amid rising raw material costs. But Tesla has also regularly adjusted prices of its cars in China, including reductions, reflecting government subsidies.

Tesla told Reuters it was adjusting prices in line with costs. Capacity utilisation at its Shanghai Gigafactory has improved, while the supply chain remains stable despite the impact on the economy of China's stringent zero-COVID restrictions, leading to lower costs, it said.

Note also that the cost savings on labor alone for the increased production at Giga Shanghai since July 1st more than pays for all of these price cuts, while putting substantial presssure on Tesla's domestic China competitors.

Nice move, Tesla. ;)

Cheers!

They read REUTERS: (btw, the "9% is for the Model 3 P while the Model 3 SR+ decrease is 5%)

Tesla slashes China prices by up to 9% as analysts warn of 'price war' | Reuters

Note also that the cost savings on labor alone for the increased production at Giga Shanghai since July 1st more than pays for all of these price cuts, while putting substantial presssure on Tesla's domestic China competitors.

Nice move, Tesla. ;)

Cheers!

It seems Reuters has changed the headline of that piece. Originally, the headline was much more just a news announcement, instead of an implication of failing demand.

Hey, if it bleeds, it leads!

So right now tesla stocks went to 💩 because of Hong Kong stock market's broad selloff (see NIO/LI), plus MSM spinning the news of "Tesla Price Cuts" due to no demand. 4 percent lost as of right now

When Tesla price goes up = Tesla unable to control costs and therefore raising the price to avoid losing number, avoiding bankrupt
When Tesla price goes down = No demand, have to lower the price, therefore lower margin, eventually leads to bankrupt

So right now tesla stocks went to 💩 because of Hong Kong stock market's broad selloff (see NIO/LI), plus MSM spinning the news of "Tesla Price Cuts" due to no demand. 4 percent lost as of right now

When Tesla price goes up = Tesla unable to control costs and therefore raising the price to avoid losing number, avoiding bankrupt
When Tesla price goes down = No demand, have to lower the price, therefore lower margin, eventually leads to bankrupt

Yes, that's very standard for the MSM.

Amen. There seems to be this ongoing disagreement about Troy on this board, but if he just listened to Rob he wouldn't be nearly as off-putting.

Edit: And it seems that Troy actually blocked Rob because of his comment. Seems like a poor choice for someone that analyzes Tesla. 🤷‍♂️

Lol, a week ago I created a new folder in my SQLite database called |Tesla|Earnings|2022-Q4|Troy follies|

As of today, it already has 5 entries. This is about 10,000 below Analyst's estimates. :p