Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure they can. At 650KWh per Semi, that's about 32.5 GWh/yr of 2170s. Did you not notice that Tesla recently began construction of a new section of the building at Giga Nevada? Further, Tesla is moving all powerwall and powerpack production to Lathrop, CA which will free up futher production space in the existing factory sections.

How does Tesla intends to use multiple ?? gigawatt-hours per year of additional 2710s? Notice that the goal of 50K Semi is for 2024. That's ample time for Panasonic to ramp 2170 production at Giga Nevada.

However, 32.5 GWh of 2170s is enough for 400K LR Models 3/Y. Do you see any possible path for Fremont to increase production by that much (that's a doublling)? Or do you think Tesla would ship those cells to Giga Texas (where again, high volume Semi production may be located).

Either way, Semi is getting 2170s from the start of production, and its clear that there are plans to ramp 2170 cell production to sufficient volume to allow 50K/yr Semi production by 2024.
You can not pull an 82,000 pound semi 500 miles with a 650 kWh battery. That is not an opinion. It is just physics.

Reactions: Electroman
Last edited:
Also interesting they always mock Longs for “losing” 50% since ATH, but never boast how much they made shorting 2022.

Oh right, most longs are still up 10x, even at this level. But they lost all their fund 2 years ago and have no skin in the game anymore, haha the irony.
I haven't lost a penny since the ATH as I haven't sold a share and don't plan to. My portfolio may be worth less, but unless I actually sell something I haven't lost anything, not even my pride... what a bunch of idiots.

I haven't lost a penny since the ATH as I haven't sold a share and don't plan to. My portfolio may be worth less, but unless I actually sell something I haven't lost anything…
Do you *truly* mean that? IMHO, for one to *truly* believe that, they would also have to believe and mean with conviction the following as well:

“I haven't gained a penny since the <very low price one bought in at> as I haven't sold a share and don't plan to. My portfolio may be worth more, but unless I actually sell something I haven't gained anything.”

I suspect very few (if *any*) of us look at our portfolios and the massive gains reflected on our current statements and agree with that statement. I would seriously question how any long term shareholder would deny that they have *gained* a much greater asset (their portfolio holdings) at today’s share price since they purchased a long time ago.

If you agree that you’ve gained a great many pennies “since you purchased many years ago” then you should also agree you’ve lost a (smaller number) of pennies “since ATH”. If you don’t agree that you’ve gained a great many pennies since you invested in TSLA, well… ???

Undercut banks on car loans. Good idea!
(Edit: Who knows, maybe driving behavior correlates to credit score, or other data mining stuff not yet explored.)
It is strongly correlated. Regulators aren’t a fan of allowing its use though.

Likely Y on their way from Berlin to Taiwan, and on trains for the first time AFAIK:
I understand why, but it’s wild to see Teslas being shipped from China to Germany, and other Teslas are being shipped from Germany to “China”.

Do you *truly* mean that? IMHO, for one to *truly* believe that, they would also have to believe and mean with conviction the following as well:

“I haven't gained a penny since the <very low price one bought in at> as I haven't sold a share and don't plan to. My portfolio may be worth more, but unless I actually sell something I haven't gained anything.”

I suspect very few (if *any*) of us look at our portfolios and the massive gains reflected on our current statements and agree with that statement. I would seriously question how any long term shareholder would deny that they have *gained* a much greater asset (their portfolio holdings) at today’s share price since they purchased a long time ago.

If you agree that you’ve gained a great many pennies “since you purchased many years ago” then you should also agree you’ve lost a (smaller number) of pennies “since ATH”. If you don’t agree that you’ve gained a great many pennies since you invested in TSLA, well… ???
My portfolio is worth more, and over the years I've bought and sold shares of TSLA both for a gain and for a loss. Very few after this Forum alerted me to using the value of my portfolio as backing for a substantial LOC. But I have not sold a share since before the ATH and therefore have not realized any gain or loss from them.

Satisfied?

Last edited:

He's speaking, in technicalities, of realized vs. unrealized gains.

He hasn't lost a penny, because he hasn't sold, so no gains have been realized.

I think he was baiting anyone to argue about HODLers, and well you kinda fell for it.

BTW, don't put words in my mouth. Nowhere in my post did I say "since I purchased many years ago." I perhaps should have included the word "realized" when I was talking about gain or loss, but regardless my post, as I wrote it, is accurate.