Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These days a lot here is emotional.
Understandable, but not really what we need.
Well, what do we need then (and definitely should read)?
A good analysis like this one.
Believe me, you do not want to miss this:

Is that from our very own @FrankSG ? Hope he is doing well

I doubt the US average new car price decrease will be more than 10% in a recession. An LR Model Y is set to receive a 12.5% price decrease (due to the credit) for many buyers. Margins should be fine, in the US at least.
Prediction: low volume week = stock price getting manipulated down.

Not financial advice, yada yada yada...
So what's different about this week?

I doubt the US average new car price decrease will be more than 10% in a recession. An LR Model Y is set to receive a 12.5% price decrease (due to the credit) for many buyers. Margins should be fine, in the US at least.

Nothing different this week, stock should be going down then right?

@Nocturnal, low volume. Makes it easier to move the price.

Also seems like Elon is doing a major experiment with advertising like he said. Hardware unboxed is today sponsored by starlink.

I noticed that. I also noticed that some politically charged comments there were promptly dismissed with people pointing things out like: "this is a technology channel not a politics channel". This applies to Tesla as well. People with strong political beliefs or surrounded by such people underestimate the number of people who can detach the brand and the product from any politics.

Hah, we all sound like a bunch of battered men with no hope left in us at all! :p

Sadly, I agree though. :confused:
It's always darkest before the dawn.
"But nothing came near us as we dozed, awoke to listen, and then slept again through a night which also was different on this side of the mountain--one far too long."

The current zeitgeist says down, but low volume can be manipulated either way. Have seen spectacular moves up in the past, especially the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Markets and TSLA in particular are currently oversold.

Don’t think the markets will crash this week, so probably what we will see is the volatility we have all come to love.

I know Tesla is supply limited, but they need to spend some marketing dollars for Hertz. I just rented a MY last week and drove it over 1,100 miles to tour the ASU campus with my son. The MY did not have premium connectivity. This is a colossal missed marketing opportunity. The radio without premium connectivity (PC) is quite sad, while the media system with PC is impressive. A non-Tesla owner would simply walk away thinking either the radio sucks or, best case, that Tesla nickel and dimes you for the simplest things. Tesla not ensuring that all Hertz rentals have PC is egregious IMO. While I'm complaining, Hertz only lets you use the black keycard...impossible to know when you are done Supercharging without the phone app, or precondition the car on a hot/cold day, no walk away lock, or walk up unlock...the inconvenience of the keycard is significant over Bluetooth phone and changes the overall experience that owning a Tesla really offers. Lastly, lane changing while using AP without FSD is a much bigger PITA than I estimated. Glad Hertz offers Teslas, but they are NOT putting their best foot forward!
Realistically, hardly anybody (not already a Tesla owner) renting a car has time to learn all that the car can do, set all the settings they’d prefer, and then savor that experience. They just want to throw their suitcase in the back and be off, or whatever.

The last non-Tesla I rented had the wrong time displayed in the dash. I only had the car because my own had been stolen. It wasn’t until day three of my rental that I finally got perturbed enough to look up a YouTube video, watch it twice, and then spend 20 minutes pushing buttons in a top secret fashion to get the clock reset to the correct time.

I felt annoyed too when I rented a Model Y from Hertz and it didn’t have all the abilities my own Tesla had, but then I realized that was no different than my annoyance when renting other cars over the years or even when getting in friend or family member’s cars - they never work as nicely or are as comfortable as my own that I’ve spent years getting to know inside and out.

I think there’s enough aha things going on in a Tesla to grab non-Tesla owner’s attention. At least everyone I’ve ever let drive my Tesla (and the rental Tesla) sure thought so. They didn’t know to ask about all the things you mentioned.

I know Tesla is supply limited, but they need to spend some marketing dollars for Hertz. I just rented a MY last week and drove it over 1,100 miles to tour the ASU campus with my son. The MY did not have premium connectivity. This is a colossal missed marketing opportunity. The radio without premium connectivity (PC) is quite sad, while the media system with PC is impressive. A non-Tesla owner would simply walk away thinking either the radio sucks or, best case, that Tesla nickel and dimes you for the simplest things. Tesla not ensuring that all Hertz rentals have PC is egregious IMO. While I'm complaining, Hertz only lets you use the black keycard...impossible to know when you are done Supercharging without the phone app, or precondition the car on a hot/cold day, no walk away lock, or walk up unlock...the inconvenience of the keycard is significant over Bluetooth phone and changes the overall experience that owning a Tesla really offers. Lastly, lane changing while using AP without FSD is a much bigger PITA than I estimated. Glad Hertz offers Teslas, but they are NOT putting their best foot forward!
Super helpful info, I am picking up my 1-week MY rental from Hertz in a couple hours. Another 1 week rental in Dec coming after that.

Will comment here on the interaction with Hertz, and the overall experience. Cost is around $600/week plus charging expenses billed through Hertz.

My Model Y order from July was put on Hold until Jan 1 2023, by Tesla, after I failed to respond to repeated emails - original delivery date had been Feb-Apr and it slowly crept up to Nov. I will take it off Hold at the end of Dec.

The only question at this point is, pay in full for FSD now (hopefully at $12K, the price locked in at my order date?) or just go monthly. Hmmm...

Last edited: