Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TSLA at $171.94 is getting pretty ridiculous. There seems to be some sort of algorithm to short or sell shares continuously every day since Nov 1 (when TSLA was at ~$233). This is troubling and frustrating. I've been holding all my shares since 2012 but sadly am thinking about selling at least some shares to get in again at a lower price ($140'sh level?) in the future. This price action has been crushing. Thoughts?

Watch that wash rule, if it is a taxable account.

Plus, if you have been in since 2012, that's a big cap gains hit to take.

Not advice, just food for thought.

TSLA at $171.94 is getting pretty ridiculous. There seems to be some sort of algorithm to short or sell shares continuously every day since Nov 1 (when TSLA was at ~$233). This is troubling and frustrating. I've been holding all my shares since 2012 but sadly am thinking about selling at least some shares to get in again at a lower price ($140'sh level?) in the future. This price action has been crushing. Thoughts?
Do a poll on twitter and see what the results are, lol.

YEah, I'm worried Tesla has another massive record Q4, but the SP takes another hit because it "missed estimates..."
One could argue that TSLA has much bigger issues right now other than "missed estimates" ....

Momentum is simply gone and the company narrative focuses on 1 man's erratic behavior.

We hold and hope that this turns around soon .....

BTW, 167 seems to be the next level of support for chartists ... I'm afraid we get there this week .... : (

Not sure how much impact this is having but james Stephenson's latest projections show 420k del and $1.12 non gaap eps (he does show taking the tax deferral), both of which are below consensus. Hate to think what that would do for sentiment

Oof.... James is usually optimistic to the high side... not as bad as he was a couple years ago, but pretty reliably higher-than-actual, so that's not great news....

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC

Maybe this explains weakness

We hold and hope that this turns around soon .....

The downward pressure is relentless, and until some new buying volume comes in to overcome it I don't see the fall stopping. A share price of $140 and a PE of 35 by the end of the year might sound silly, but if this trend doesn't reverse that's where we are heading (falling ~30% per month).

I would strongly recommend not doing this.

Its very hard to watch the stock fall if you have significant holdings. I've been buying since 2015, and have long experience of failed attempts to time the market. I'm one of the geniuses who bought on the day of the 'going private' tweet. Fun times...

There is zero way to predict when the market will turn. Maybe Elon is in a meeting right now finalizing the contract for the next twitter CEO? Maybe a drone flyover tomorrow morning will spot 100 finished semis being hosed down and made shiny for an unexpected delivery event bonanza? Maybe the semi specs are way, way better than expected? Maybe the cybertruck specs are better than expected and announced on dec 1st? (with updated reservation numbers).

You have stock in a company run by a CEO with a track record of massive surprises.
A new factory announcement could be any time, a new product could be any time. Someone could leak surprisingly good video of the tesla bot in the factory...

So my summary is: Don't risk it. You have lost 0$ until you sell. Personally, I'm not selling a single share until $225, and not a noticeable amount until $400 (where I'll sell 1/4 my stock, just to give me stability in retirement). I'm seven figures down from my highs in terms of Tesla stock value. Stop staring at the ticker and get something else done. If any of the events I list happen right after you sell, you will hate yourself for it :D.

Link to the twitter post that shows this? I don't have the time to sift through all of Jame's slides

James subtracts his differed tax asset (DTA) estimate of $0.45 from GAAP EPS (probably an error in calculation. Paging @The Accountant ).

Anyway, the direct comparable is Q3 Non-GAAP EPS at $1.12 to his estimated Q4 Non-GAAP EPS at $1.54 (without including any DTA). That's +37.5% in earnings. :D

FiCDQy1XEAMH5ju

Last edited:

Maybe this explains weakness

The CCP have been absolute MORONS in their dealing with COVID. Like . . . medical case study in what doesn't work.

A virus doesn't care about political will or national boundaries. And the CCP are so prideful about their own vaccines (which suck) that they have not allowed the mass inoculation of the population with the far superior western-designed and produced mRNA vaccines.

ZERO COVID is not a policy that is viable with an airborne pathogen such as this, and they are just causing undue economic and health harm to themselves, and by extension everyone that uses their production for goods.

giphy.gif

Macro **really** sucks.

If it's not China COVID:Zero, it's the Ukraine War and Nuclear Proliferation...or its the European Energy Crisis:

Many black swans.

The stock keeps breaking on no new information,
presumably discounting future negative macro events.

Macro, because tesla specific prospects appear as favorable
as ever. Even if they have to lower prices to move the higher
production, margins can be maintained as productivity increases
and cost of goods sold decline.

The IRA if it applies, should increase profitability .
Fear and FUD and technicals reign.

Just drive it down to zero. Clearly the company will be bankrupt any day now. 😡

Haha, wedgies don't care about that, they only want their money back from the 1st split in Aug 2020 (wedgies don't even read the news, they only look at their charts).

sc.TSLA.2-yr-3mth.Chart.2022-11-21.png

You just watch, the News* will magically change after they've got their money back.

*News is a product they buy and sell just like fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Here's some more info even from the World Economic Forum:

Further, @Drax7, the energy transition is getting a boost from all of this going on and people moving on to newer technologies, but they're certainly not proven nor are they scalable ASAP (sans solar) over multi-quarter and multi-year basis to show adoption is robust.

Reactions: Drax7