Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Realizing it isn’t official, but if there is extra capacity at Austin and Berlin… what is the motivation/rationale for a factory in Mexico?
As @unk45 likes to point out, Mexico provides an entre into the MERCOSUR market, with which it has a free trade agreement specific to autos. Over the long run, it would probably make sense to manufacture in Brazil. But this would be a good method to dip the toe in and judge demand before doing so.

Your analysis doesn't attempt to quantify how the additional publicity will make some people more likely to buy a Tesla. The brand has become more 'edgy' and some people like that. I'm going to guess that might be around 1% due to the principle that all publicity is good publicity, so the net result is zero, Tesla will continue to sell every car they produce.

A bunch of noise about what is nothing, and likely to turn into a net sales generator down the road when it really matters, if and when Elon is able to fix Twitter. People are so short-sighted they can't see their own noses. People need to get a hold of their emotions and have some perspective.
Yeah I'm pretty sure the biggest reasons for people not wanting Teslas now are:

1) Lack of real awareness of the product or EV ownership experience in general​
2) The upfront price still being high​
3) Service centers and charging infrastructure still not being filled out as much as people would like​
4) Residual bad perceptions of the quality or reliability from FUD campaigns and the relatively poor build quality of early Model S, X and 3 compared to today's output​

Awareness
Awareness is most likely increasing as publicity surrounding Elon Musk is increasing. However, the main factor here is and probably always will be simply the current size of the Tesla fleet, because word of mouth and test rides remain the primary way people really learn about the cars. The more Teslas Tesla sells, the more Teslas Tesla sells. And pretty soon, the more Vegas Loop expands around the Strip, the more butts it puts in seats every day and thus the more Teslas Tesla sells.

It's hard to overstate just how little awareness there actually is of even basic facts. In my travels across most of the US this year, including even people living in the Seattle area where Tesla adoption is higher than almost anywhere on the planet, I've seen very little evidence of widespread understanding. For example:

• Friend's dad in Cincinnati was concerned that we'd get stranded driving our Model S rental while driving around Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia. He had no idea there were chargers all along the route. Both of the guys I went on that trip with now are interesting in buying Teslas when they have enough money to afford it.

• Campground manager in Kentucky checking us in had never seen an EV before. When she asked what the make of the car was and I responded "Tesla" she asked "How do you spell that?" and then when she found out I was trying to charge the car (after wasps in the electrical box stung me and I asked her for help killing them) also later told me the regional manager had prohibited EV charging for blowing the fuses. I asked her the amp limit and she said 30 amps, told her the Tesla could be limited to less than that, and was met with a confused stare. I gave up and didn't charge.

• Family friend we stayed with in Nashville was amazed that the car didn't take any gas and we could just run an extension cord from the garage to charge it. He was very drunk but couldn't stop saying how cool it was for about 10 minutes straight, and he didn't even go for a ride.

• Random person in parking lot at Cumberland Falls was walking around our car staring at it, not realizing we were sitting inside because of the tinted windows. After we opened up and talked to him we explained that the handles are like that for aerodynamics and showed how they pop out automatically. He was impressed.

• In Oregon, a guy in campsite next to me was curious and asked about the frunk and where the motor is. Asked about whether the wheels spinning can recharge the battery and I explained regen braking and one-pedal driving. Was impressed with Camp Mode. etc.

• My brother and his roommate I stayed with in Texas started joking about wanting to split the cost of a Plaid after spending a week with my 3. He is also no longer considering an ID.4 for his next purchase and instead will wait for TSLA to recover and then hopefully buy a 3 next year with the gainz.

• Friend's mom visiting from India loved the car in general and was cracking up with Fart Mode

These examples were not isolated incidents I've cherry-picked, and the people ranged in all kinds of ages, personalities, genders, political leanings, and US immigration status. The frequency is high enough that clearly a pattern is there even though the sample size isn't huge.

Lastly, on awareness I would like to point out that Tesla still isn't advertising and they could if really needed to reach mainstream buyers. The advertising could just be simple, non-manipulative education campaigns, as we've discussed ad nauseam on this forum.

Price
Price will be addressed with the declining manufacturing, raw material and shipping costs as well as major subsidies coming in the US and most other major markets. Price will also be addressed as Tesla's production grows and they slowly sacrifice margins to massively expand sales volume. Finally, we still have ample opportunity for lower-cost models without any radical technology advancements from what the 3 and Y base versions with LFP cells currently have. Merely increasing manufacturing scale and removing most the luxury features could eliminate at least 10% of the cost, I think, as discussed in this post from October:

Even in 2030 if Tesla still doesn't have autonomy figured out, they could make 30% gross margin on $40k average selling price with $28k cost of production. Tesla showed in 2021 that they can make 3 & Y for $35k, despite positioning the 3/Y platform as premium luxury cars and despite half of them coming from Fremont, so they would only need to find a way to pull out $7k of cost while keeping the car desirable enough to sell millions of units per year at the $40k price point.

I think people in general are severely underestimating how much cost can be pulled out of the 3/Y design from fully implementing the savings we currently know about and from deleting luxury features for an economy version. Tesla doesn't necessarily require a whole new car design to achieve this.

Known upcoming savings relative to 2021:
  • Front and rear castings
  • Labor that is not at SF Bay Area prices
  • Structural 4680 battery pack with all the 50%+ cost reductions from Battery Day
  • New and improved factory design like Berlin and Austin
  • Reduced shipping expenses from simply having more factories with shorter average shipping distance
  • No ultrasonic sensing system
  • Li-ion 12V battery
  • 8 more years of miscellaneous improvements
Economy version savings opportunities:
  • Iron-phosphate battery cathode chemistry
  • Cloth upholstery instead of premium leatherette
  • No seat and steering wheel warmers
  • Motor with less than 208 kW power rating
  • Traditional sheet metal roof instead of glass
  • Wheels smaller than 18 inches
  • Front seats with manual position adjustment instead of motors
  • Less fancy sound system (not everyone needs 15 speakers)
  • Basic side mirrors that don't have motors for folding in and out (or no mirrors at all)
  • Basic rearview mirror instead of electrochromic mirror (or no mirror at all)
  • Manual steering column adjustment instead of motorized
  • No wireless phone chargers
  • Smaller console screen
With an economy 3/Y such as this, people could get like 80-90% of the Tesla vehicle experience, and 100% of the safety and standard software features, simply by being willing to sacrifice somewhat on range, powertrain performance, luxury comforts and premium conveniences. Until buying my Model 3, I had never had a car with any of these features. This base version could have 30% gross margin or more, but the premium versions like we have today would still be sold and would still contribute to overall average gross margin being even higher.

Service Centers, Quality Concerns and Charging
Service centers and charging infrastructure are still rapidly being constructed, and the mobile service fleet is rapidly expanding too. This will be less of an issue for buyers with every passing year.

Also, the amount people care about this will also tend to decrease over time for a few reasons. First, as knowledge and awareness increase, more prospective customers will learn that the cars don't need regular service and maintenance in the first place and will learn about mobile service being more convenient anyway. For charging, people will learn that they can wake up every morning with a full charge, which still today most people don't know or even if they do know, they don't really grasp the convenience of it compared to going to fuel stations. Then, for service the need for it is reducing over time as Tesla's quality improves, and over time customers will share these positive experiences with people they know and Tesla's reputation for not needing service will grow.

The new factories have much better quality than Fremont so the perception of bad quality will gradually improve just as it did for the Japanese automakers 50 years ago.

What Customers Actually Want
The elephant in the room really should be gas prices, safety and features, not Elon's politics and craziness. Here's why: People care about gas prices and what the car offers to their lifestyle, and it profoundly influences their vehicle purchasing decisions within a given market segment.

Here's the results of the 2022 annual global consumer survey conducted by Statista on what American adults rate as the most important factors in car shopping. It's only a survey, so it's of somewhat limited usefulness, but these are pretty basic survey questions that avoid much of the problems that often come with surveys. Notice how fuel efficiency is the most popular deciding factor. Not listed, but probably implied, is that the car has the body type and features the customer wants to make it even be under consideration in the first place. Tesla does not yet pass this implied gate for the majority of car-buyers yet simply due to only having 4 models.

1671649424689.png

Source

I can't find more recent data online, but ten years ago Consumer Reports published very similar survey results ranking fuel economy, safety, value for money, quality and performance as the top priorities, and in 2010 a similar survey had again yielded similar results.

The representativeness of the survey results is more credible when viewed in the context of what non-Tesla car companies choose to highlight in their advertisements. It's almost always some mix of these same factors listed here.

For instance, look at what Honda highlights in their web page for the CR-V:
  • Base MSRP
  • Most important features
  • Horsepower
  • Fuel economy
1671654470726.png

How about the Toyota Camry? Again it's base MSRP, fuel economy, and some key features.

1671654699275.png

Here's the first ad on Honda's Youtube channel that's about the Honda Pilot. Again, they're selling features, price, horsepower, and fuel economy, plus an example of the car bringing the family together around music and offroad adventures, making the parents happy with their purchase.

And the Honda Fit ad. Wow, this one is also about features that enable lifestyle choices, and safety!

Let's delve into gas prices in particular, which has been identified as the most important factor. I'm focusing on US here because that's the place with maximum interest in US politics, though of course our stuff does leak out internationally, and because that's Tesla's biggest and most profitable market.

The Google search trend data still shows a strong correlation between gas prices and interest in Tesla and EVs, especially in the first few weeks following a large change in gas prices. The all-time high search interest on Google for Tesla since 2020, when Elon's political activism increased, occurred in the 2nd week of March 2022. This spike was 50% higher than even the one following the viral Cybertruck reveal event in November 2019.

1671658378278.png

Data sources: US EIA and Google

The outlier point in March is especially informative, as this was the week that the Russian invasion's effects suddenly spiked gas prices to the highest inflation-adjusted level Americans had faced since 2008, followed by another spike in Tesla interest in June as gas prices began to surpass even the March levels and set all-time records for prices at the pump. Furthermore, these interest spikes correspond precisely with the timing of Tesla's 2022 price hikes, as detailed in these posts I published in June.

Back to actual Tesla analysis…

Regarding the recent price hikes in the US—to what extent are they because of supply constraints or demand increases?

Google search trends are probably the single best measure of what the populace is actually thinking about. Google is of course the most popular search engine and it lets people ask questions privately without any social consequences. I do not have sociology studies to support this claim though, so there’s a chance this isn’t actually true, but it certainly aligns with my personal habits and what I’ve observed from everyone around me.

The trends show a large spike in American search interest for “electric cars” in June, almost as large as the spike in March on the week of Russo-Ukrainian war beginning.

View attachment 817756

I won’t clutter this post with too many charts, but I see almost identical trends for most individual EV models across all brands I checked, including:
  • Tesla S3XY models
  • Cybertruck
  • Kia EV6
  • Audi E-Tron
  • Hyundai Kona EV
  • Hyundai Ioniq
  • Nissan Leaf
Notable exceptions: Porsche Taycan, Jaguar I-Pace, and Mercedes EQS interest seems to be unaffected by fuel prices, and the only spike for Volvo Polestar 2 was the week after the Superbowl. These are luxury vehicles selling mainly to customers who don’t care much about value per dollar, so that makes sense.

I left out Mach-E and Bolt because the trend for them is probably mixed up with the major recall news.

Searches for “Tesla” remain elevated compared to February and earlier, but not much of a recent spike. However I think this search is less informative about demand and curiosity because it’s related not only to the cars, but also the stock, Elon Musk, recalls, Nikola Tesla, Tesla coils, Tesla the rock band, and any other Tesla topics. The chart below is zoomed out to the last five years and it shows “Tesla” interest has very high variance, which means short term spikes are likely not statistically significant anyway, but the long-term trend shows general interest is double what it was in 2017.

View attachment 817761

The big one is this: Unsurprisingly, we see a strong correlation between searches for “gas prices” and “electric cars”. Although gas prices have roughly 20x more interest in general, both search terms tend to follow each other’s relative movements.

View attachment 817760

Relatedly, “how much does it cost to charge an electric car” is at triple the interest in the USA compare to last year’s baseline, and it’s slowly creeping back up after the explosion of interest in March. Interestingly, unlike other EV-related searches, this one is strongest in the middle of the country, with West Virginia, Kentucky, Alabama, Kansas and Arkansas leading the charge. Conveniently, many of these states have high demand for pickup trucks and are pretty nearby to Austin.

View attachment 817766
View attachment 817767

The dominant conclusion remains that a LOT of people became curious about electric cars when Mr. Putin decided to send troops across the border and fuel prices surged.

Remember when Zach Kirkhorn, a man who does not tend to publicly present himself as prone to hyperbole, commented this on an earnings call?

“The great thing that we're seeing in the space right now is there appears to just be quite a profound awakening of the desirability for electric vehicles. And I mean, to be totally frank, it's caught us a little bit off guard... folks want to buy an electric car and folks want to buy a Tesla right now. It's very exciting for us.”
This comment came in October! Interest has more than doubled since then with no sign of abating any time soon.

It’s clear that high gas prices, more than any other factor, are what drives people (or Americans at least) to initiate self-education about EVs, and from there they begin to learn about the other benefits. Twitter, FUD, politics, oil-funded smear campaigns, recession, and a bunch of other things demonstrably do not matter as much as frustration with sending money up in smoke at the pump every week. In a broader context, this also makes sense because American full-size truck and SUV sales have also historically been correlated strongly with current fuel prices since at least as far back as the 1970s Oil Crisis. Every single day that oil stays at $120/barrel is another day more folks are learning and correcting their own misconceptions and lack of awareness about how great EVs actually are. Once they learn, they remember and intent to purchase in the future is implanted in their minds.

Gas Prices Increase Tesla Demand Part 2

People mainly care about gas prices. When gas prices spike, they start researching EVs and many of them place orders for Teslas and force Tesla to raise prices again.

The chart below illustrates not only that the timing of price increases aligns with gas price spikes and with the related Google searches I showed a few days ago, but also that the largest Tesla price increases happened in March when the largest gas price increases occurred.

I challenge anyone who hypothesizes that Elon's politics, Twitter acquisition, etc. are negatively affecting demand substantially to bring forth actual data to demonstrate that. If you do not have any such data, please stop cluttering the thread with inflammatory and mod-prohibited opinions based on your feelings and anecdotal experiences. Remember, as Dr Feynman said, the easiest person to fool is yourself. This is a place for science. Thank you.

Note: The vertical axis starts at $1.50/gallon, not $0. This is the EIA's chart, not mine. My red annotations indicate when US Tesla prices increased.

View attachment 819169

Source link

View attachment 819173
Source: Rob Maurer, Tesla Daily (link)

The same kind of pattern occurred during the 1970s Oil Crisis. This was in a period in history when:
  • A brutal war with Japan that ended with nuclear bombs being dropped on millions of civilians had ended only three decades prior, with many of the buyers at prime car-buying age having fought in that war or had friends and family who did

• Being openly racist towards non-whites and especially Japanese was socially acceptable in most of the US and there had recently been protests and violence simply over ending legally mandated racial segregation

• Japanese cars had a reputation for crappy quality and reliability, which was largely deserved given their historical track record in prior decades

• Americans had predominantly wanted big muscle cars with gas-guzzling V8 engines

None of this stopped the rapid market invasion of Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Datsun, and Subaru from approximately 1973 to 1983. The market share of Japanese imported cars in the US market more than tripled to capture about a quarter of the car market in the US by the early 80s, while the domestic car companies saw major declines in sales.

As Tesla prepares to move into mass-market segments for the middle class, the operational cost savings of owning a Tesla vehicle relative to an ICEV will be a greater portion of the overall total cost of ownership, and these buyers are also more cost-sensitive than Tesla buyers have been up to now. Gas costs and maintenance costs are approximately the same for luxury cars as for economy cars of the same size, weight and horsepower.

Conclusion
Considering that Tesla still dominates at energy efficiency, safety, value for money, features and performance, I think that consumers will keep wanting to buy them in ever-increasing numbers. Government policies, infrastructure, improving EV awareness, and other macro factors will continue to drive EV demand in general, providing a tremendous tailwind.

The fact that Tesla is winning in every category that most people actually care about might have something to do with why the Model Y is the best-selling vehicle of any kind in all of the markets that are ahead of the curve on EV adoption (except China where a smaller percentage of the population can afford the price of a Y). This is occurring despite all the temporary roadblocks to EV adoption and despite Tesla having the ability to cut prices by $15k and still earn margins somewhat better than comparable crossover SUVs. I'm just saying...

Last edited:
$137.50, a red day for TSLA on what was a very green day for the market.

Phooey. :mad:
Blame the late downturn on our buddy Fred for the FUD he just published on a Tesla hiring freeze and layoffs in the 1st qtr. according to a reliable source familiar with the matter.

Sigh...

and it is also freakishly capital-intensive. Tesla is not running out of ideas where to put capital to work, so too early for a dividend or a buy-back.
I suspect that the engineering COE will be frustrated with all the bottlenecks that stop them, and will get into all aspects of supply chain, similarly how Ford did when it was evolving. Expect some mining, some bolt-on acquisition of strategically important ground-breaking tech...
There is an odvious reason why the next master plan focuses on raw materials supplies.

After a while, the ramp of Tesla energy is likely to be self sustaining.

We will still eventually get to the point where Tesla is making money faster than they can spent it.

$137.50, a red day for TSLA on what was a very green day for the market.

Phooey. :mad:
It looks like the typical 2 pm EST margin calls kicked in, resulting in a TSLA walk-down during the final two hours. Slightly weakening macros were also not helpful. Considering that TSLA barely closed down today, margin calls may not be much of a factor tomorrow.

Realizing it isn’t official, but if there is extra capacity at Austin and Berlin… what is the motivation/rationale for a factory in Mexico?

Because Tesla wants to grow 50% per year. So need to start building new factories pretty soon (takes 1.5 years realistically to build, probably longer in Mexico and other places).

Not a correction per se, but it seems to me there is a cost component to Tesla for each pack that hasn't a good counterpart in the vehicular manufacturing side of the company, and that is the site installation cost. That's probably a pure hit to the profit margin and it would be tricky to grasp what it is, as it should be somewhat different for every customer. This includes whatever cost-sharing of the installation occurs between vendor and purchaser.
4 hr MP $1.77 million to $1.74 million each (qty 1 to 100)
2 hr MP $1.88 to $1.84 million

Installation adder (if selected):
2hr
$720k for single unit
$2.6 million for 10, $260k each
$17.4 million for 100, $174k each

4hr
$340k single
$2.18 M @ 10, $218k each
$11.1 M @ 100, $110k each
Megapack installation includes:
  1. Project design (including electrical and civil)
  2. Project Permitting (ministerial only)
  3. Project construction (including electrical up to 480V, grading and foundations, mv transformer as applicable)
  4. Project commissioning
  5. Backup capability for critical loads

Last edited:
I agree it is possible, though I still err on the side of caution and do not think they will hit full megapack production. Even so, Tesla Energy is poised to post some great number and growth for 2023, and I don't think most WS analysts are including any of it in their estimates.

I agree, it’ll take time to ramp and I wouldn’t plug $31b into any spreadsheet! That said, the ramp seems to be going quite well based on the drone shots we’ve seen previously. I think these are a lot simpler to build than a car. I’d love to see some factory footage.

Not a correction per se, but it seems to me there is a cost component to Tesla for each pack that hasn't a good counterpart in the vehicular manufacturing, and that is the site installation cost. That's probably a pure hit to the profit margin and it would be tricky to grasp what it is, as it should be somewhat different for every customer. This includes whatever cost-sharing of the installation occurs between vendor and purchaser.

Yeah, my numbers were 30 second back of the napkin. We have no history on margins and other costs may well be negotiated.

Hopefully we’ll find out next quarter what the actual margins are on these beasts a little more accurately.

Another thing here. It seems like Tesla is deploying a significant number of these for various in-house applications at Superchargers and using them to sell power to utilities in Texas (I think) so possible a number of these are never actually sold unless they “sell“ them internally. Maybe someone with more accounting experience than I have can address that.

Many of us have grown weary of the seemingly neverending Amazon comparisons. Well, TSLA and AAPL are nearly the same price now. Let the race begin!
Getting back to the Amazon comparisons, Tesla and Amazon are similar in that, during a zero interest rate environment, they were companies that could absorb more or less endless amounts of free capital and efficiently deploy it. I never feared that Bezos or Musk would lack for good ideas about what to do with the incremental dollar, whereas AAPL, GOOG, and others seemed a bit aimless.

We are no longer in a zero interest rate environment, so I have been looking for clues about whether this advantage will continue for Tesla and Amazon.

I don't have anything close to $31 billion in energy revenue for 2023 in my spreadsheet (I have about half that), but if they can get even close to that for the year then wowzers.

I agree it is possible, though I still err on the side of caution and do not think they will hit full megapack production. Even so, Tesla Energy is poised to post some great number and growth for 2023, and I don't think most WS analysts are including any of it in their estimates.

The thought has occurred to me that the period between Q423's P&D report and earnings might be a uniquely good buying opportunity if - for whatever reason - Q4 deliveries simply "whelm" us, but Tesla Energy is able to delivery a positive surprise. Just idle speculation.

• Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
Interest rates are what the Fed uses to modulate the economy to achieve their dual mandate: low stable price inflation and max employment. I've watched plenty of interviews where various members discuss forces driving the labour market including retirement, early retirement due to asset inflation during the pandemic QE, reduced movement of people and immigration while travel was shut down, etc.

The Fed's projections are in their December meeting PDF:
View attachment 887603

Note the Fed Funds rate still potentially being upwards of 4% in 2025 and how much it increased just from the last meeting, and this is if PCE/Core inflation drop down to the mid 2-3s next year and then <3% by 2024. Then we have one Fed member who figures the funds rate will be at 5.5%+ right out to 2025.

IMO interest rates will be higher for longer than most expect even now, and then we need to hope China doesn't actually make a move on Taiwan and other geopolitical catastrophes are avoided. But of course, Elon and many others believe that China moving on Taiwan is all but inevitable.
That's one way to look at it, or the Russia-Ukraine war ends, China covid continues to be less of an issue, China backs off any Taiwan aggression, Fed moderates its policy, EU economy picks up, Elon done selling and Cybertruck comes on line!