Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To their credit, this seems to be OTA

Well, The Register journalist, if you can call Brandon Vigliarolo a journalist, did state that the BMW recall was a simple over-the-air software update. Which is strange because the link to the actual BMW recall notice clearly states that a service appointment with your dealership is necessary and that it will take about 1 hour to perform the update.

I did check a handful of other stories, from other journalists, on this very update and noted they all reported it correctly. The Verge did highlight in the sub-headline that it was a "simple software fix", which might cause some to assume it was over-the-air because there is nothing "simple" about having to schedule an appointment and leaving it at your dealership for at least an hour, unless you happen to live right next to your dealer. To their credit, The Verge did make clear in the body of the article that the vehicle needed to be brought into the dealership for the fix.

It's interesting that one journalist could get this so wrong, considering the whole point of his article was to report on the recall notice, which he obviously had in his possession as he wrote the story. And it is not overly lengthy or confusing. So I skimmed over the list of stories authored by Brandon Vigliarolo and saw a goodly number of them were about Musk, Starlink or Tesla and I couldn't find one that had even a slightly positive slant. I think that's notable since both Tesla and SpaceX/Starlink have been doing so many useful things in the world and doing them so adeptly. In fact, every story I checked had a negative, anti-Musk bias to it. It seems he goes out of his way to paint Musk in a negative light.

Not that I'm surprised by this example, but the article in question is particularly notable for being blatantly wrong from a factual perspective and it would not be an easy mistake to make inadvertently since he had the recall notice "in hand" while he wrote the story. I know many of you think this is not a big deal but I grew up during a time when a simple spelling mistake or grammatical error by the mainstream media was surprising because they were expected to be skilled in all aspects of language, and a factual error, even a relatively minor one such as incorrectly reporting the nature of the recall, would be considered embarrassingly unprofessional to the point that a very embarrassing correction would be made, with an apology to the readers explaining how they got the story so wrong. Trust mattered. Sadly, those times are long gone.

And people still wonder why some auto buyers actually think BMW has software and technology that is equal to, or better than, Tesla and that all modern cars, especially cars like the Ford Mach-e and other "state of the art" EV's from large automakers, probably have over-the-air-updates on par with Tesla. Sadly, people like us are in the minority because we understand fundemental differences like this that are important differentiators between the Tesla ownership experience and that of the rest.

"Tesla is a unicorn amongst growth stocks! 40%-50% yoy growth with a growth story for the next decade on 28% margins"

Sorry how is this not guessing? Key words "next decade". It is based on Tesla's track record over the last couple of years but to accuse me of giving you a lesson is just silly. I basically wrote what I think investors will be looking for as confirmation.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree as a respect to others. I also don't want to get two funny reactions on the same day from @Artful Dodger lol.
It's silly to assume that Tesla continues to growth without any hiccups or headwinds.

It's equally silly to assume that Tesla won't navigate through those hiccups and headwinds and long term maintain growth and margin to more than justify a much higher valuation.

I'd venture to guess that there's many talks happening behind the scenes with the government and not just from Tesla. There's a few key EV's from legacy auto that are also being hurt by the IRA. The Mach E is getting hurt way more than the Model Y is. I can't see Ford letting that go.
Unless something is tweaked this year, which might not be too likely considering the slow pace at which these things tend to move after being initially put in place, MSRP limits might become mostly a moot point considering the more onerous battery sourcing requirements that come into effect starting next January for components and then Jan 2025 for critical minerals.

The really big hurdle, and the target of this legislation, will be bringing supply chains out of foreign entities of concern (China) who absolutely dominate them right now.

If we think about stuff like battery-grade graphite, somewhere around 80%+ of global production comes out of China and North Korea. MSRP is of course driven partially by cost of manufacturing, but the monumental challenge will be wrestling production of critical materials like graphite away foreign entities of concern.

Anybody else receive a blast email from Hertz today titled "Forget range anxiety and charge up in an EV"? The text goes on to list the number of chargers and concludes: "Choose from the largest EV rental fleet in North America and test drive the future.."

Interesting campaign.
I happen to be looking for cars on Hertz today. Model 3 is the very first car they show you. Can't buy that sort of promotion! (without a lot of money - usually) Model Y is also easy to find

What I find silly about the Boring company that nobody seems to say (like an emperor with no clothes) is when people going, "what a fantastic way to get from A->B!" when you see a car driving down a tunnel and emerging at a different point in LA in 3 minutes when over-ground it might take 5 is that ONE tunnel works one way. That one tunnel can't also serve people going B->A. Most train subway tunnels are built in pairs. You need both directions or it's silly!
And I don't believe Elon has reinvented the wheel. You previously had TBM's - tunnel boring machines. More or less automated machines that make tunnels. Is there many 4m diameter TBM's vs 8m diameter, probably not. But is there a real market for lots of 4m tunnels? No, I don't think so!

The advantage of TBC is the cost. The LVCC was only $47M for about 1.7 miles, compared to average tunnel costs approaching $1B / mile in the US. Paving a road through an open field will always be cheaper than digging tunnels, but I haven't seen a lot of 1 mile long fields here, much less 5 or 10 miles to cross a city. It's different in Westminster because they could run a highway through St James ;)

Btw, TBC website states that the LVCC loop is a pair of tunnels. Not sure why you'd get the impression it's a secret.

The advantage of TBC is the cost. The LVCC was only $47M for about 1.7 miles, compared to average tunnel costs approaching $1B / mile in the US. Paving a road through an open field will always be cheaper than digging tunnels, but I haven't seen a lot of 1 mile long fields here, much less 5 or 10 miles to cross a city. It's different in Westminster because they could run a highway through St James ;)

Btw, TBC website states that the LVCC loop is a pair of tunnels. Not sure why you'd get the impression it's a secret.
NotaModBut…. There is a thread for TBC. EOM

PS: @googlepeakoil

TL;dr Waiting for numbers is the road to mediocre returns. Prediction is the skill of merit, and is sometimes rewarded by the Market. ;)
This by 1000.

Back in 2015 I bought into AMD because of their five year plan. No analyst had a freaking clue what that plan meant. And AMD was largely ignored for years until the SP hit the 40s and they had to finally look at what was happening with AMD. Thanks Lisa Su for holding to that plan. The stock was like 2 bucks, they were a foot into bankruptcy. And yet I dropped all our free cash into it, which amounted to 10K at $2-3$. Anyways their 5 year plan revolved around Mantle, the worlds first low level API for Windows. That lead to DirectX 12 and Vulkan. Those two would power consoles and other OS thru platform wins for Sony and MS. This would then guarantee AMD as the base code for all GAME DEVELOPMENT moving forward. Fast forward 5 years and here we are with AMD killing it and Intel in dire straits. The two thousand percent gain I got on AMD was a bonus!

I then parlayed that win into Tesla.

*Btw, AMD basically gifted Mantle onto the world, Apple included with Metal. Sometimes giving the world what it needs buys you dividends you never could have imagined. Previous to this HW access vis OS layer is quite a moronic process. And I didn't even touch on Jim Keller and chiplets which also changed the world of semis.

Last edited:
MSM success.

Roche forced a Volvo Ev on my friend because he just found out higher up will not get a Tesla because they believe they are not safe. So all the employees are being stranded because higher up only read headlines about fires and AP death.
Volvo? My XC40 Recharge remains at dealer for third day because they cannot understand why it failed to charge. SAD!!