Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, i just saw the full response from Tesla:

“Both Tesla and Panasonic continue to invest substantial funds into Gigafactory. That said, we believe there is far more output to be gained from improving existing production equipment than was previously estimated. We are seeing significant gains from upgrading existing lines to increase output, which allows Tesla and Panasonic to achieve the same output with less spent on new equipment purchases. However, we will of course continue to make new investments in Gigafactory 1, as needed. Most importantly, contrary to what is implied in this report, our demand for cells continues to outpace supply. It remains the fundamental constraint on Tesla vehicle and Powerwall/Powerpack production.

That bolded line is key.
Interesting wording. It doesn't mean they don't have another bottleneck right now -- the "fundamental constraint" is not necessarily the "current constraint". More on that later.

Tesla coming to grips that they can’t make profit on a $35k car.

Poor execution.

I agree, execution could be better. I think that profits for M3 standard will be put on hold until they’re able to pump out 7-10k M3s/week. Or at least until Shanghai GF is online. With Munroe stating that margins in Shanghai could be as high as 40% I think they’ll shift standard range production to China. They’ll need another 6-9 months of production before profits for the standard could be realized. For now, having the plus gives them a great opportunity to capitalize on a few extra grand.

Last edited:
Does Tesla really need to change the lineup every other week? It’s Ridiculous.
I wasn’t really looking forward to another red day induced by demand hysteria.

Also what happens if regulators do not approve full self driving on vehicles with the current sensors suite? They continue to overpromise big time on autonomy.

They wouldn’t be offering leasing if they were production constrained.

Are they production constrained? Or is it demand weakness? That is the million dollar question.
Either way, leasing is definitely the way to go to increase demand. If you look at all the other major brands in this price range (Merc, BMW, Audi, Jaguar, Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, etc), more than half to two-thirds of all new car sales are on leases.

I agree, execution could be better. I think that profits for M3 standard will be put on hold until they’re able to pump out 7-10k M3s/week. Or at least until Shanghai GF is online. With Munroe stating that margins in Shanghai could be as high as 40% I think they’ll shift standard range production to China. They’ll need another 6-9 months of production before profits for the standard could be realized. For now, having the plus gives them a great opportunity it’s to capitalize.
Right. Some don’t get it or what, Tesla’s goal is to sell all cars they make. Unless by magic they start making a whole lot more, what is the point of selling cheap if you can sell pricier?!

Right. Some don’t get it or what, Tesla’s goal is to sell all cars they make. Unless by magic they start making a whole lot more, what is the point of selling cheap if you can sell pricier?!

The SR is PR and its existence at $35K matters.

It fulfils a promise. It proves that electrification is for everybody, not just the well heeled. That in turn matters politically. It allows govts of any left/right persuasion to be pro EV and set policies accordingly, which of course helps Tesla, and TSLA.

I know I needle some of the superbulls on here but tbh the overpromising on autonomy is my only long term concern with Tesla.

I think the whole fully autonomous taxi network idea is like at least 6+ years out.

I think there’s a path where they can maybe do it sooner with having one licensed rider always getting in the driver seat, but true autonomy is something that I just don’t see happening that soon. Simply way too many edge cases and regulatory hurdles.

But the idea that 36 months from tomorrow we'll have the Tesla network operational in fully-autonomous mode is an interesting one.

They didn't say that. There's a wide spectrum of technological solutions that are not "100% autonomous all the time", which are still economically superior to "taxi driver" based service:
  • A fleet dispatch center with "remote drivers" who are trained to take over when there's an FSD disengagement event.
  • Speed limits for when the car is driving unattended.
  • Geofencing and geomapping based on fleet feedback.
  • A quick response fleet technicians who can recover malfunctioning or stuck cars.
Tesla Network doesn't have to be all or nothing, it has to generate money and can grow constantly.

Also it’s concerning the lower margin SR+ is already being offered for Europe/China

It seems you find everything Tesla does concerning.

And both are true.
1) It is good to increase addressable market by offering a $35k car.

2) It is even better if they can sell out capacity to make Model 3s at a base price of $39.5k.

And if they can increase demand for PM3 with selected internet advertising to the point the base model is less than 5% of production and wait times for the base model increase to over 3 months even better.

An Update to Our Vehicle Lineup

Um, did they just release a massive nugget of news tonight.

OK, so finally, now that I've caught up, my take on this.

(1) This confirms my suspicion of production bottlenecks. Specifically, production delays due to downtime from switching between variants. They seem to have very serious problems with production delays due to switching between variants, and are taking drastic measures to reduce them by eliminating options.

The total elimination of two major hardware variants (LR RWD and SR-) is clearly for the purpose for removing downtime due to variant switching. They clearly have not figured out how to switch variants without delays in production. Although you can "call and order", I suspect they're not maknig any more LR RWDs. Expect some people with LR RWD orders (specifically white interior) to never get their car; they'll have to change their configuration.

SR in particular would have been a *substantial* production line change due to major changes to interior materials. For only 1/7 of the SR/SR+ orders (and probably less than 10% of total orders), it's not worth it.

Therefore, I predict three things:
(A) Expect them to drop a paint color. It would make tons of sense to drop the slow multi-coat colors and switch to flat white and flat red. Yeah, I know some people really like those colors, but are those people really paying enough to compensate Tesla for the slowdowns? If not that, they might drop "midnight silver metallic", which is the most redundant. I think they need black, white, red, and blue.

(B) Expect them to attempt to remove differences between Euro, China, and US spec cars. The charge port differences may be forever, but don't be surprised if we start getting Euro-spec taillights in the US, just to minimize downtime on production line switches.

(C) They may end up specializing each general assembly line. There are currently basically 3 hardware trims x 2 interiors x 5 paint colors x 4 regions (basically, North America, Europe LHD, China, and RHD). If each factory has one line for white interior and one for black interior, and there's a factory in the US, one in Europe, and one in China, this minimizes switching.

It does make me think they should have gone with a middle-of-the-road grey interior so that people who insist on light-colored interiors and those who insist on dark-colored interiors would both have been satisfied with one interior. :)

Other observations:
(2) They are still way too optimistic about autonomy.
(3) They seem comfortable enough with demand to actually *raise* prices. Demand is not an issue. Supply is an issue.
(4) But they're not totally comfortable with demand because they opened leasing. The leasing will not look great on the accounting books. Dunno whether they'll be able to offload the financing to bank partners given that they're gonna keep the cars at the end of the leases. Clearly cash flow is not a primary worry here, or they wouldn't have started leasing like this.