Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how the 4680 cells being built just a few hundred feet from Panasonic's 2170 cells is going to sit with Panasonic. That 100GWh of capacity is about 3X what the 2170 current capacity is.
What are they going to do about it? Seems that Panasonic was unable or unwilling to expand when Tesla asked them to. Tesla has ALWAYS (until 3Q last year) been battery constrained, so if there is blame to go around, it can be pointed at Panasonic.

Will they have enough employees? Many times in the past there has been a labor shortage for both Tesla and Panasonic. According to this tweet and others talent may be a problem.

Has Tesla ever had trouble attracting talent? Reno is a nice enough area to attract a fair number of people over the hill from California as well. Might not be great for the housing market short term.

Has Tesla ever had trouble attracting talent? Reno is a nice enough area to attract a fair number of people over the hill from California as well. Might not be great for the housing market short term.
I believe Tesla did have a problem attracting employees in Nevada. The big problem was housing, water was in short supply so housing couldn't be built. I think that issue no longer applies, or at least is reduced.

I could have sworn Elon or someone else at Tesla stated the Semi would be made in Austin?

Looking back over the quarter reports though it's always been officially listed as either TBD or United States.

Elon wrote this in a June 09, 2020 internal Tesla memo: (leaked by CNBC)

"Production of the battery and powertrain would take place at Giga Nevada, with most of the other work probably occurring in other states."​

Musk memo calls on Tesla to start 'all out' volume production of Semi > www.cnbc.com › 2020/06/10

Elon has obviously gone through a process to make the final decision on the location of final assembly, and as ususal he speaks his mind (as he did on the Q2 2020 Conf Call).

Big takeaway is that Tesla's Semi production plans are moving forward. As investors, we can be assured that the optimum solution was chosen balancing all the needs of speed, labor, logistics, raw materials, existing and required new facilities, and NOT based on Elon's pride making him unwilling to change his mind to make the right choices. ;)

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
Would probably be wonderful for the housing market I would think. Everybody complains about Californians moving into their state - until they see their property values skyrocket. Then they just complain about Californians.

Has Tesla ever had trouble attracting talent?

Yes. Repeatedly.

In Nevada specifically.
(click on that tweet from Carson last page, he has several more posts expanding on this still being a major current problem- and not just for Tesla- in the area... to the point kids are going to school on alternative days due to lack of bus drivers, and how Del Taco, in a state with a min wage of $10.50 an hour, is offering $15 to start because they can't get workers)

Hence some folks being surprised at the big expansion there with plans to add thousands of workers.