Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems all Model Y now qualify under the $80000 MSRP for the tax credit. No more 5 or 7 seats difference:

9Ynkg4b.png

Same for other OEM it seems ( I only checked Ford for the Mach-e):
0jXxCF4.png

Edited to add the link: Manufacturers and Models for New Qualified Clean Vehicles Purchased in 2023 or After | Internal Revenue Service
Biden Administration keeps going after Tesla

Because 50% of the country that is not Liberal or concerned about climate change are now willing to give Tesla a chance. They are happy that Elon has ended the one way censorship that was occurring at Twitter and influencing the national conversation. So Conservatives are now paying attention to Elon and discovering how awesome Teslas are as a product.
Thats not 50%. Because we have basically a 2 party system doesnt mean the country is split 50/50. Also over 70% of adults believe in climate change.

I think that's partly due to unwinding the wave (normally ships don't arrive until the 2nd and 3rd months of the quarter) and also more cars are being produced in Berlin now.

For the EU countries that report daily registrations you can clearly see the difference when comparing to previous quarters....Q4 2022 was already showing signs of earlier deliveries and now in Q1 they are starting even earlier still:

View attachment 902924

Source: Electric Vehicle registrations in Europe: 14 countries, 90+% of BEV market
Yes, unwinding the wave, and then probably a lot of cars in transit from Q4...
Still, more than 10X YoY is a lot.
For example, Germany accounts for 4241 cars alone this January... three times the number that we see in that chart.

View attachment 902877
One data point added that Model Y Performance getting included in tax plan will increase orders. I just pulled the trigger!

I’m guessing tesla will have to increase prices as wait times extend too, so this might be a local bottom price for these models
I am debating changing to the Y performance myself, but minimally, I just added the white interior (which was going to push me over the $55K limit before)...Tesla gets another grand and I get the interior I actually wanted. Boom!

Thats not 50%. Because we have basically a 2 party system doesnt mean the country is split 50/50. Also over 70% of adults believe in climate change.
FIFY: over 70% of adults accept the science of climate change. Science is not a belief system. It's a method of investigation.

What are you basing this even split on? I see an overwhelming overweight of D among Tesla owners so far, from personally being in touch with around 50/50 D/R. Not that Republicans don't want the best car (=Tesla), many just don't seem to like to support the perceived enemy side (=left, clean energy, liberal, previous Elon et.c.).
I am one of those Rs. My reasons for buying a MY5LR:

1. I love the car! The smooth, quiet power and acceleration along with the high tech features - best I have ever driven.
2. I love efficiency and loathe wasteful, bloated, inefficient vehicles and organizations. Tesla is one of the most efficient cars and organizations.
3. I despise OPEC and big oil - for gouging the world on price and dirty air.

I did not consider Elon's politics when I ordered my Y. My respect for his entrepreneurial drive, vision and no-nonsense management style has only grown since I started following him. About the time I placed my order in October, 2022 I bought TSLA for the first time (yes, I am still a bit under water, even after this sharp run-up). I don't consider myself a hard core fan boy, but I will be holding TSLA for the longer term (at least 5 years).

I have gained significant knowledge from this thread and will continue to read it. I know there is some FUD and drivel posted from time to time, but I can overlook it because the intelligent and insightful posts far outweigh the negativity.

I don’t understand why there is such a resistance to dividend paying stocks, especially when retired. For me they supply my income and sufficient surplus to buy more as time goes by. I’ve lived off of dividends and tax free munies since 1987. I’ve never had a need to sell an investment asset for living expenses, and this is desirable as your mental acuity declines with age. There comes a time in most people’s life when this is important. Doesn’t mean I didn’t buy Tesla, but it does mean it isn’t part of my hard rations I depend on to live.

I retired at age 37 (from capital appreciation of growth stocks) and have been living off the capital appreciation of growth stocks for the last 23 years. Had I gone the dividend route, I would have had to budget my annual spending and I would still be living on a budget. I went the growth stock route instead and have no budget and money is not an issue. The normal plan is to spend down your savings in retirement. Mine keeps growing faster than I can spend it, thanks to growth stocks. If I become so feeble minded in old age that I can't figure out what to sell and when, to meet my on-going financial needs, then I'll be the next best thing to a dead investor, maybe my returns will even go up!

I am debating changing to the Y performance myself, but minimally, I just added the white interior (which was going to push me over the $55K limit before)...Tesla gets another grand and I get the interior I actually wanted. Boom!
I'd do the same for the LR, but change color to blue, change wheels, and add the tow hook. Changing the designation for the 5 seater to SUV is big and makes sense anyway... since when has adding 2 seats determined whether a vehicle was an SUV or not.

My biggest complaint about the IRA is that it's a tax credit instead of a cash rebate or direct discount. They could still use the criteria to determine who is eligible, but a direct discount would be way easier for people to understand, would apply to more people (myself included as I typically don't owe any FIT), and result in more EV's being sold..

I would guess the reason for doing it the way they did was because the IRA is being funded by the IRS, but still. They should have talked with me first!

I retired at age 37 (from capital appreciation of growth stocks) and have been living off the capital appreciation of growth stocks for the last 23 years. Had I gone the dividend route, I would have had to budget my annual spending and I would still be living on a budget. I went the growth stock route instead and have no budget and money is not an issue. The normal plan is to spend down your savings in retirement. Mine keeps growing faster than I can spend it, thanks to growth stocks. If I become so feeble minded in old age that I can't figure out what to sell and when, to meet my on-going financial needs, then I'll be the next best thing to a dead investor, maybe my returns will even go up!
Never been to Maple Falls, but it looks grand! Reminds me a lot of the bergs in Western Montana. Maybe we'll get a chance to visit your nice town in a Tesla soon!

Reactions: FSDtester#1
I don't mean to over inflate your ego, but few of us are able to invest as well as you have.

Also can’t help thinking of Seinfeld when Cramer had that “ass-man” license plate.😂
According to Chatbox; False.
"No, Cosmo Kramer, a character on the show "Seinfeld," did not have a driver's license and was often shown taking public transportation or relying on other characters for rides." I think it was some Proctologist that had that plate.

I'd love a model 3, but one day in my dreams when I do get one, I am wondering quite how the paintwork - and resale value - is going to respond to that sort of behavior.

You're worried how the paint and resale value of a Model 3 will hold up if you have to push aside some hedges on narrow lanes and get some micro-scratches in the clear coat??

Oh, my! I never knew I was hanging with such stuffy, straitlaced Tesla people! Have some fun and live a little! Tesla are not one-of-a-kind art masterpieces; they are mass-produced production cars meant to be used hard and put away wet! Just another tool in your toolbox, and what a fun one at that! Don't waste your money on petroleum products to protect the body, that's what the paint is for! First principles thinking. Just wax it a couple times a year, wash it when it gets too filthy and then give it a good buffing and a wax before you sell it. It'll look great. Better yet, pay the kid down the street to do it, he will have a story to tell his friends and a few more bucks in his pocket.

It's gonna be worth whatever it's worth when you sell it. Even one scratched to hell and back is going to be worth good money after you've had your way with it. It'll be yours, enjoy it fully, life is too short to worry whether it's worth a few hundred more or less. Try not to dent the body panels, then you will have a real road warrior! Sure, dents can be fixed but it's far better to avoid them in the first place. But scratches? Have at it! I take mine off-road all the time and beat up the alder saplings and it still looks new!

Buy a Model 3 and live a little, I recommend the Performance version but a regular AWD will be a hoot too! Open it up now and again on some of the more abandoned rural routes, push the hedgerows aside as needed to be a good brand ambassador, give them plenty of room so they don't have to fret about scratching theirs while you smile and wave and plow through that hedge. The mirrors will self fold if they encounter a stiff enough branch. Don't worry about the paint, it'll buff out real nice and if you get a deep one, who cares? Cars are not investments in anything but transportation and a bit of fun when going about your day. Enjoy it, don't live in fear! I bet it'll still be worth at least half of what you paid for it after you've had a few thousand carefree adventures in it. Go ahead, cost it out, it'll amount to a few bucks per day any way you slice it, might as well feel liberated while you're having fun!

Life is too short to fret about the little stuff!

For street parking ordinarily the length is the pertinent question, and I think you are looking at the wrong model of Golf.

I think you are looking at the Golf estate of 4.6m, not the Golf hatchback of 4.2m . The Golf estate is a low seller, the hatch is the common seller.

(my opinion is that anyone who really wants a VW estate buys the Passat which is far better value in the VW models than the overpriced Golf estate; or the Skoda Octavia which although it is the Golf estate in disguise does manage to be cheaper and is noticeably larger)

============

For driving the width tends to be the question. But as another poster has already pointed out, in the lanes that does tend to depend on whether you are prepared to jam your car into the vegetation of the hedge. The townies and posh cars won't, the locals will. Since we drive the old wrecks they are normally scared of us dinging their nice stuff, and they end up reversing to a passing point. Us locals just jam ourselves in the hedges and can squish past each other.

I'd love a model 3, but one day in my dreams when I do get one, I am wondering quite how the paintwork - and resale value - is going to respond to that sort of behavior.
CyberTruck should sell well in that driving environment ;)