Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I retired at age 37 (from capital appreciation of growth stocks) and have been living off the capital appreciation of growth stocks for the last 23 years. Had I gone the dividend route, I would have had to budget my annual spending and I would still be living on a budget. I went the growth stock route instead and have no budget and money is not an issue. The normal plan is to spend down your savings in retirement. Mine keeps growing faster than I can spend it, thanks to growth stocks. If I become so feeble minded in old age that I can't figure out what to sell and when, to meet my on-going financial needs, then I'll be the next best thing to a dead investor, maybe my returns will even go up!
Well, dividend stocks grow in value, too, and they are much less subject to market fluctuations. You assume I live on a budget, and I don’t. In fact, my income usually increases faster than inflation. I’m not trying to persuade anyone, however there is a much lower stress avenue than purely stock appreciation.

Thats not 50%. Because we have basically a 2 party system doesnt mean the country is split 50/50. Also over 70% of adults believe in climate change.
Sure - but how many of the 70% that "believe" are willing or able to spend money on a Tesla to do anything about it? In my experience, there are many more people willing to virtue signal (especially on social media) than put their money where their mouths are.

If we truly care about the cause, we need as many people buying in as possible.

I think Elon buying Twitter is helping convert some of the folks who wouldn't give an EV a second look until now. I think we are gaining more Conservatives and Climate skeptics than we are losing to Liberals who are turned off by Elon's Twitter activity.

I would be wary about attributing this inflation to any one thing, it was surely multifactorial and studies have been done looking into the impact from that, from the QE and free money deposited into people’s bank accounts during the pandemic, etc etc.

Some causes will unwind easily and already have, some will not. China reopening will likely be inflationary for commodities, particularly on the industrial side.
Lets not forget the rise in any fossil fuel prices over the past two years; the latest seems to be NG prices paid by consumers in Ontario (my brothers cost per M3 is twice what it was last year).

Seems all Model Y now qualify under the $80000 MSRP for the tax credit. No more 5 or 7 seats difference:

9Ynkg4b.png

Same for other OEM it seems ( I only checked Ford for the Mach-e):
0jXxCF4.png

Edited to add the link: Manufacturers and Models for New Qualified Clean Vehicles Purchased in 2023 or After | Internal Revenue Service
Maybe this is why Elon was in Washington last week?

HW4 would be the big question mark-- esp. in light of Elon saying doing HW3->HW4 retrofits on existing fleet was likely cost prohibitive.
Given they already do HW2.x to HW3.0, they have the legacy power/ heat dissipation limits to deal with (which drove TRIP dissipation). So they likely need to break backwards compatibility to boost performance.

Even more so if HW4 expects the 16V low voltage system (along with updated network/ wiring topology).

As to the covers, radar has been mounted behind facia, so not visible anyway.

Maybe this is why Elon was in Washington last week?
I’m just wondering how this all play out.

Biden signs the bill, then the administration and the treasury start sketching out the numbers and realize Tesla is the biggest beneficiary so they have the treasury interpret the bill so few Teslas qualify.

Then Tesla rewrites the automotive retail handbook and changes their prices so a huge number of Teslas qualify but none of their competitors do.

So now Tesla benefits even more than when the original bill was written. GM lobbyists start banging on legislators doors and demanding their lobbying money back so the administration calls the treasury and the policy gets rewritten to include more cars.

I think as 4680 Model Y production keeps increasing, Tesla will slowly creep the Model Y LR prices back up. Those 4680 Model Ys are in theory Tesla’s biggest money maker so Tesla is going to want that to be the bigger demand driver. Now that the goofy $55k limit is lifted, Tesla has a bit more flexibility on pricing the LR.

Last edited:

Biden signs the bill, then the administration and the treasury start sketching out the numbers and realize Tesla is the biggest beneficiary so they write the bill so few Teslas qualify.

[...]
Then Munich and the other oil fossil vasalls hold the debt ceiling increase hostage until it all gets revoked again or bust

I don't mean to over inflate your ego, but few of us are able to invest as well as you have.

It's not hard, quite simple actually, but I agree, most people make a mess of it. The shotgun approach doesn't work as well as concentrating your investments in a very small number that have a low risk. Managing risk is key because it doesn't take many losses to wipe out some nice gains. But you don't avoid losses by selling when you think the market looks risky, or you see a weak quarter coming up, you avoid losses by investing only in companies that will actually go somewhere and not selling them just because they 5X'ed or 10X'ed or whatever. Only sell them because their growth is ending.

Those are the two keys:

1) Only pick companies that are highly likely to be much bigger in the future and very unlikely to flop and,
2) hold them until they are done growing or you see a much better opportunity

Following my own rules, I was chomping at the bit to invest in TSLA since the IPO, but I couldn't because they didn't meet my investment criteria until 2019. Following these rules you will miss a lot of great companies but it's more important to avoid the ones that don't work. Just because they have the latest and greatest invention is not a good reason to invest. You have to see visionary leadership and good execution. It will probably already be considered expensive when you find it, not always but often, but that doesn't matter because you are investing for long-term growth that you can see will happen. There, I just gave you the core of the secret. It's ignoring Wall Street brokerage analysts, p/e ratios, Jim Cramer, CNBC, and actually investing for the long-term.

It's what word "invest" means. Pick wisely and hold tight unless the reason you invested fundamentally changes. It's not luck but perhaps some people are not suited to seeing how things will likely unfold. No one is right 100% of the time, that is just what you are striving for. It's not about timing, it's about being right in the long-term. The more you have to buy/sell, the lower your returns will probably be.

Are you all disagreeing with me or with Chatbox?
Your post.. I am willing to bet 50% of people on this forum have already seen that entire episode and knew he did drive a car with that plate.. but hey it's Friday and markets are about to close so some humor is always welcome.

Credit to whoever posted the youtube clip. Watched it 3 times, laughed all 3!

Last edited:

Biden signs the bill, then the administration and the treasury start sketching out the numbers and realize Tesla is the biggest beneficiary so they write the bill so few Teslas qualify.

Then Tesla rewrites the automotive retail handbook and changes their prices so a huge number of Teslas qualify but none of their competitors do.

So now Tesla benefits even more than when the original bill was written. GM lobbyists start banging on legislators doors and demanding their lobbying money back so the administration calls the treasury and the policy gets rewritten to include more cars.

I think as 4680 Model Y production keeps increasing, Tesla will slowly creep the Model Y LR prices back up. Those 4680 Model Ys are in theory Tesla’s biggest money maker so Tesla is going to want that to be the bigger demand driver. Now that the goofy $55k limit is lifted, Tesla has a bit more flexibility on pricing the LR.
More like they picked the rule set that excluded the Y LR to force price cuts down to below the $55k limit on the best-selling EV model and then switched to different rules after that happened lol. And then to rub salt in the wound, they made it retroactive to the beginning of the year anyways.

Can seriously see these people running numbers to see what would happen with the different rule sets at their disposal, printing off some reports, booking a conference room and Teams meeting, and arriving at this plan of attack.

Maybe the price cuts just needed to happen anyways though, I mean prices were cut in jurisdictions all around the world so. Now we have people arguing that prices should increase, a week ago it was keep those prices down because nobody else can cut prices and keep up and their lunch will be eaten. Everything is happening so quickly.

Now in a month or two we’ll get to see how the battery component and critical mineral sourcing is rolled out, another massive change

Last edited:
More like they picked the rule set that excluded the Y LR to force price cuts down to below the $55k limit on the best-selling EV model and then switched to different rules after that happened lol. And then to rub salt in the wound, they made it retroactive to the beginning of the year anyways.
There is only one codified rule set regarding vehicle classification. However, the EPA classification laws allow the Administrator to group vehicles in a model line together even if subvarients do not fit the stanard Federal definition.

Treasury took the easiest/ lowest effort option by only referencing the normal high level definition.

Hanlon's Razor: "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".