Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Power steering is another matter entirely. I know you probably meant to say power brakes- but a similar situation exists for electronic, drive-by-wire steering. I believe a few manufacturers have attempted dbw steering, but abandoned it due to safety concerns. Here again the aircraft industry has taken the lead. Just a matter of time before this tech makes it way into autos.
I suspect he was talking about a power steering pump failure... in most modern vehicles it also supplies the pressure for te power brake unit attached to the master cylinder.

No, I don't think so. The thing CT has most in common with Gen 3 platform is no paint. In terms of final assembly, it won't be possible to build the CT exoskeleton by joining 3 finished boxes like Gen 3.

… and one purpose of CT is to make us familiar with the stainless steel appearance and frame this look as innovative and high-end.

The new paint option Quicksilver, which is introduced these days at Giga Berlin, has a similar purpose. I expext that this option will be available in a few months for the Model Y manufactured at Giga Austin.

1677972693156.jpeg

With Gen 3, a similar stainless steel appearance will be the base option and the customers will appreciate that they don’t have to pay the 3000 € or USD price premium for this sophisticated look anymore.

A stainless steel finish as a base option would further facilitate a capacity increase in Fremont since only a portion of the cars needs to be painted. Also one challenge of the submodule assembly approach is that the paint of the different submodules needs to be identical which is less challenging if there is no painting ;)

… and one purpose of CT is to make us familiar with the stainless steel appearance and frame this look as innovative and high-end.

The new paint option Quicksilver, which is introduced these days at Giga Berlin, has a similar purpose. I expext that this option will be available in a few months for the Model Y manufactured at Giga Austin.

View attachment 913871

With Gen 3, a similar stainless steel appearance will be the base option and the customers will appreciate that they don’t have to pay the 3000 € or USD price premium for this sophisticated look anymore.

A stainless steel finish as a base option would further facilitate a capacity increase in Fremont since only a portion of the cars needs to be painted. Also one challenge of the submodule assembly approach is that the paint of the different submodules needs to be identical which is less challenging if there is no painting ;)
Not sure how comparable this is, but we are currently remodeling our kitchen with stainless steel appliances and they dent a lot, super hard to get one delivered and installed and not find a blemish. On our second dishwasher waiting to replace with third. First fridge same problem despite different vendor and installer

South America is not some impoverished wasteland. Not all of it is politically unstable.

You should maybe get out more and stop watching alarmist broadcast TV. Most of these countries have a middle class.
Ah, the racist ploy of a skilled debater

I've been to most south american countries. You haven't, but perhaps you have been to the Bahamas. The per capita income in the Bahamas is double that of the wealthiest countries in South America.

Tesla undoubtedly has a South America plan, but its not absorbing the output of the new factory. It also wouldn't just include the new vehicle.

Not sure how comparable this is, but we are currently remodeling our kitchen with stainless steel appliances and they dent a lot, super hard to get one delivered and installed and not find a blemish. On our second dishwasher waiting to replace with third. First fridge same problem despite different vendor and installer

Not the same, that's why must keeps talking about haerdness.

But I've convinced myself that there is no exoskeleton, so not the 3mm first talked about either.

Wow… this really descended quickly.

I should have expected this after you devalued honesty in your second post.
Tesla undoubtedly has a South America plan, but its not absorbing the output of the new factory. It also wouldn't just include the new vehicle.
You are arguing against your own straw-man. Nobody said “Absorbing the output of a new factory” as if they would absorb it all. Not a single person. Mexico will consume a lot of vehicles. As will all of Central and South America. Loot at German exports. They send a lot of cars all over the continent. That’s what Giga Mexico will do. All of Central America, Canada, AND South America.

The original comment people here argued against was Troy Teslike’s suggestion that there was ZERO potential in South America. There is an absolutely massive gap between “Zero” and “Absorb all output of Tesla’s soon to be largest factory”.

Like… continent sized gap. Make up your mind here. Are you arguing your straw man or what Troy said?

To achieve a good appearance without paint on a car is a super hard task. Many were sceptical if this will be feasible for the Cybertruck but so far they seem to be still on track. The task is even more difficult when the shape is more complex. For the Model 3 Highland the solution could be the use of less paint / less paint layers.

Didn't the same guy who said he got the Gen 3 may be stainless because paint is expensive info from Tom also say the Berlin paint colors aren't coming to Austin?

EDIT- Found it- seems to be specifically a question about the cherry color so unclear if that's just that one, or all berlin-only colors right now

Last edited:

I've been to most south american countries. You haven't, but perhaps you have been to the Bahamas. The per capita income in the Bahamas is double that of the wealthiest countries in South America.

Dave Lee was told by a Tesla staff member that the output of the factory is intended mainly for South America.

We could also say output of Shanghai is intended mainly for China. A factory serving multiple markets is possible and desirable.

Monterrey will not be the last Gen3 factory and the next one may not be far away.

There are 191,000 millionaires in Indonesia and 266,000 millionaires in Brazil according to a quick Google search.

There are some very wealthy people in developing countires, which typically includes many from traditional ruling classes, farm, factory and business owners, and in some cases tech entrepreneurs.

There is a non-zero market for a $25,000-30,000 Tesla in South America, some can even afford a Model S Plaid. To sell the Plaid, Tesla needs local service, delivery and Supercharging.

I don't know if there is a market for 1 million EVs per year in South America, but I assume Tesla has some idea about likely demand.

Is Troy really suggesting that not one of those 266,000 millionaires in Brazil can afford a $25,000 car?

I Googled because I worked for a month in Indonesia around 1995 and was told that there was a large number of millionaires in the country. In some ways it is just a numbers game. In any country with a high population there has to be some wealthy people.

Edit: Changed the date from 1988 to 1995, because Google is far better than my memory.

Last edited:
Those views are those of otherwise well informed non-EV drivers in Brazil. I own a Volvo XC40 Recharge which I desperately want to replace with a Tesla. Sure, EV charging is sparse, and Tesla, as always. will be the impetus to fix that. However, I do road trips without much hassle, doing them here in Brazil just as I did in the US in 2012-2015. I manage to find a hotel with charging everywhere, often a wall plug, but usually those at 220v/10a or so, enough for an easily overnight charge to 90%. Then there are shopping centers that also have EV charging, our local preferred one is Rio has eight (8) Bosch units that charge 220v/20a, and those are rarely totally occupied but do get heavy use (Volvo, Porsche, MB, BMW, the odd Peugeot, Fiat or Chery). My supermarket has one purpose charge and a few wall connections.
Obviously anecdotal, but I never have a problem. Just as in the US and Europe back then, people seem to enjoy providing a charge.

Just as everywhere else the massive value of Tesla Superchargers is that they are visibly, blatantly, for BEV and there are rarely fewer than four. Then the Destination Chargers are the next thing. Until those are widely accessible non-BEV drivers will not perceive any chance and even if they do the recognize that the search is a hassle. True, it is.

In the meantime day by day it does improve here and there are now more than twenty versions on sale for cars and a dozen or so for cars and busses.

What few recognize si how much cheaper and easier it is to survive Brazilian city traffic with a BEV. That alone is making several of my family members to consider BEV. However, as TSLA shareholders they'll probably all wait for a Tesla. In the meantime they all want to ride in my Volvo.

As we think about Monterrey we also ned to think about massive Supercharger deployment in Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay and Chile, plus more in Mexico. Even though Brazil is about the size of the US 48 States, like the US they do not ned to populate all that area. Major city connections in the South will afford most needs, connecting about eight cities, with lesser areas around another half dozen smaller more Northern ones. Similarly the other three significant countries actually have small necessary coverage. A major advantage fo that is that such deployments can be more extensive by opening them immediately to all other brands, thus advancing the mission. Since the regional stands is already EU CCS no adapters will be needed. That...can come with nice tax benefits too.
We are in Mexico right now travelling around some of the small towns north of Mazatlán. I have looked at the plugshare app a few times just for giggle and grins. There needs to be a LOT of superchargers and/or CCS infrastructure before the climate of EV’s can even begin to grow. I can see Tesla starting a serious build out of the supercharger network immediately. And definitely 5 or 6 between here and the Arizona border, as well as from Mazatlan to Guadelejara.

C’mon Elon. Gitterdun.

I suspect he was talking about a power steering pump failure... in most modern vehicles it also supplies the pressure for te power brake unit attached to the master cylinder.
Yes, you're probably right. Do most modern ICEVs really have hydroboost (brake hydraulics boosted by power steering pump) these days? I thought that was mostly the domain of heavy body on frame pickups and SUVs. Every ICE car I've owned had the typical vacuum operated brake booster. Even the relatively modern turbocharged cars I've owned had a vacuum pump to assist the brake booster.

Reactions: JRP3 and MP3Mike
Did I miss it or did no one remember this patent about simplifying wiring for robotic assembly from 2019.
There are plenty more where that one came from:- Investor Engineering Discussions

In fact I would say Tesla has extensively patented all aspects of the wiring harness and their (+Maxwell) battery patents are not shabby either.

Either they intend to use the these patents, or they know patent lawyers drink energy drinks and run amok in the office when not fully occupied :)