Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find these stats a little disingenuous. FSD by the very nature that it is still iffy means, not many are turning in on, and those who are using it are doing it with extra caution and taking control when it makes a mistake (which is good). So these stats are not a reflection of how good FSD is, rather how much attention it needs.

The same reason why there are few accidents on the L2 driving tech from other makers compared to Tesla. Because they all suck, very few use them and those who use do them only in very safe places, whereas Tesla drivers use Autopilot anywhere and everywhere and are completely lulled because it is so damn good.
I believe comparing FSD to human driving is kind of pointless. However, FSD safety performance is vital for regulators. As long as Tesla can show them people are using it responsibility which the data obviously display, then it keeps regulators off their backs and there wouldn't be some kind of Dan O Clown's wet dreams coming true with a nation wide ban.

The same reason why there are few accidents on the L2 driving tech from other makers compared to Tesla. Because they all suck, very few use them and those who use do them only in very safe places, whereas Tesla drivers use Autopilot anywhere and everywhere and are completely lulled because it is so damn good.
A Volvo car almost killed me. The LKA stopped working and didn't even make an audible chime to warn me to take over, just drove me into oncoming traffic. Managed to steer away but lost a mirror and scared the *sugar* out me. The system is designed that way, there are multiple ways it will just stop without a warning. Set it 137km/h and in a downhill it goes more than 140km/h and it just silently stops. Lane lines become unclear and it just stops the steering no warning etc.

Tesla may not be perfect, but they are years ahead of the competition. Try a Model S 2012 autopilot vs many of the 2023 LKA systems and often the Model S is doing most things better such as keeping the speed, centering in the lane, adjusting speed to the car infront... At least I know it beats a KIA from 2022...

I'm not sure how true that is. I have a Telluride with highway drive assist and adaptive cruise control and use it almost everywhere. Rural 2-lane roads, city streets and of course highway driving. It of course isn't any kind of FSD, doesn't stop for traffic signals (unless cars are stopped ahead) and of course no navigation. But for what it is, it works very well. Can't speak for other makes or other drivers.
My buddy has a well optioned ‘23 telluride and I must admit it has very acceptable tech. They even have an iPhone app that is pretty functional; remote start and some other ICE related goodies. I suspect their EV’s will lead the industry…after Tesla, of course.

Inside though, I’d say it looks more dated than my 3 year old Model X and its free autopilot features are superior than their current driver assist upgrade package. I may be biased 🤣.

Last edited:
My buddy has a well optioned ‘23 telluride and I must admit it has very acceptable tech. They even have an iPhone app that is pretty functional; remote start and some other ICE related goodies. I suspect their EV’s will lead the industry…after Tesla, of course.

Inside though, I’d say it looks more dated than my 3 year old Model X and its free autopilot features are superior than their current driver assist upgrade package. I may be biased 🤣.
Not arguing that base AP might well be superior, but the HDA/AA system is standard on most trims of the Telluride, as well as less expensive models. And of course a fully loaded Telluride is about $51k vs $100k for the least expensive X. And even comes with a HUD, Android Auto, Carplay and leather seats! :) Unfortunately Carplay/Auto are not wireless on the '22-feels so 2010 in that regard.

Having said that-I see no reason to consider Kia/Hyundai EVs any longer. When the least expensive Model Y was 66k (IIRC) yeah, the EV6/Ionic5 made some sense from a price standpoint. Now, a Y is less expensive than some trims of those cars, and does things so much better. I need to swing by my dealer and see what has happened with EV6 sales-6 months ago they couldn't keep one on the lot. My guess is that's not true any longer.

Last edited:
Not arguing that base AP might well be superior, but the HDA/AA system is standard on most trims of the Telluride, as well as less expensive models. And of course a fully loaded Telluride is about $51k vs $100k for the least expensive X. And even comes with a HUD, Android Auto, Carplay and leather seats! :)
$57,900…and once you pay for the undercoating, “market adjustment”, and an extended warranty…you’re at the $89k I paid 3 years ago for my X.

2023 Kia Telluride EX for sale in Roseville, CA

Seems to be a mixed bag out there. My rental Toyotas have been really crappy in terms of tech. Recent Ford just used Carplay which was fine. Carplay is the mickey mouse version of the Tesla UI (with more options though). BMW 4 series last fall was atrocious though. Even carplay was a frustrating mess and lane keeping was really weak. Same with Toyota I've found.

I'm not sure how true that is. I have a Telluride with highway drive assist and adaptive cruise control and use it almost everywhere. Rural 2-lane roads, city streets and of course highway driving. It of course isn't any kind of FSD, doesn't stop for traffic signals (unless cars are stopped ahead) and of course no navigation. But for what it is, it works very well. Can't speak for other makes or other drivers.

Idiotic that FSD is still classified as level II, when it does so much more than a level II system (HDA and adaptive cruise). HDA/AA are in no way and no path towards autonomy, instead simply aids. FSD is true autonomy that just needs a little supervision at the current time.
Level 3+ is defined by the manufacturer taking liability for the dynamic driving task within an operating domain, not by capabilities of a system while supervised by a human who owns the risk for whatever the vehicle does.

Robotaxis are not unlocked without the manufacturer taking responsibility for what the cars are doing while the system is operating, that's what is many years away because the risk is simply too great when you're talking thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions of vehicles driving themselves around.

You would be surprised what many systems are technically capable of attempting, it's just that manufacturers use different implementations and most don't have any interest putting Beta tech into consumer's hands. I think most vehicles are running Mobileye or NVIDIA stuff, pretty sure Hyundai uses Mobileye. Mobileye and NVIDIA both very much have configurations capable of attempting urban city driving.

Try a Model S 2012 autopilot vs many of the 2023 LKA systems and often the Model S is doing most things better such as keeping the speed, centering in the lane, adjusting speed to the car infront... At least I know it beats a KIA from 2022...
2012 Model S autopilot doesn't exist. The cameras, sensors, HW, etc, weren't available when I bought my 2013 S., much less a 2012...

Last edited:
I find these stats a little disingenuous. FSD by the very nature that it is still iffy means, not many are turning in on, and those who are using it are doing it with extra caution and taking control when it makes a mistake (which is good). So these stats are not a reflection of how good FSD is, rather how much attention it needs.

Tesla has received tons of criticism for releasing this beta software to the general public rather than keeping it restricted to trained employees as competitors do. There have been endless claims that this is unethical experimentation with all road users forced to be test subjects without their consent and therefore it should be prohibited with regulatory action.

You're right about this data not being a direct measure of how FSD Beta would perform by itself, and it should not be interpreted as such. What this data does show is that the FSD Beta program as a whole, including the interplay between the software itself and human factors like those you mentioned, is actually not causing a concentration of road safety risk. This is what matters while the program is still in development, because it directly refutes the assertions that FSD Beta is a hazard that should be stopped. Evidently, the humans are doing a good job intervening as needed.

In fact, if anything FSD Beta might be improving average road safety already, though we can't determine for sure with this simple comparison because we don't have enough information to know if there's a bias towards FSD Beta being used in safer situations where human driving would also tend to have lower-than-average accident rates.

Rivian now trading only a small premium above its cash balance amount. Wouldn’t be surprised if they haven’t received some certain cash rich visitors from Cupertino to kick the tires…
It has been that way for a while now. Basically, as Rivian burns its cash pile, the market cap follows the dwindling cash. Until they get to positive gross margins, the stock price is only going to go in one direction. Actually even then their operating expenses are also breath takingly huge.

I had the same reaction.
Just watched it and agree. I think he misunderstood somebody talking about torque vs. cruising motors on the front and rear (x2) drive axles, both in the back of the truck.

I also found his idea that some folk were conjecturing a second charge port feeding an on-board charger (an idea he dismissed) interesting in that I've not heard AC connections (using an onboard charger) discussed for semi, only HVDC.

Is an onboard charger even a thing for the SEMI, and if so what are it's specs?

Actually even then their operating expenses are also breath takingly huge.
Wow, I checked and saw Rivian spent $3.7B annually on OpEx in ‘21 and ‘22. Breathtakingly huge indeed.

This is about half of what Tesla spends on OpEx and that’s including Tesla’s crazy array of R&D activities.

It’s also 40% more than Rivian’s total Q4 ‘22 revenue annualized.

They are in deep trouble if they don’t grow production extremely fast and start earning some decent gross margins.

Last edited:
The Semi should definitely come equipped for AC charging. An onboard charger that could take 100A @ 240V makes sense to me.

That’s only 24kW. It would take this kind of charger a whole day to charge the truck. You could possibly do this over the weekend but operations during the week require a much higher charging speed, especially when you have much more trucks than chargers.

For reference, I believe Pepsi’s chargers for their Tesla Semis are 750kW.

Thank you for asking. I am home now. Doing well. Luckily it ended up just a stent was required. It was still quite the ordeal. It was what the docs call “the widow maker” artery. I had very mild symptoms and yet had it not been discovered I’d be a goner within one or two more weeks. I was very lucky. The procedure is still invasive enough to the heart that it’ll take some weeks to feel normal. Actually, I was awake through the whole operation and while it was frightening, it was quite spectacular what modern medical science can do! The only real pain was the stent being shoved up my arm to my heart. But at that moment I was so relieved because that stent headed up my artery meant that there would not be an open heart surgery. What a relief!! I used to be vegan Year’s ago, I’m definitely going back to it!! Thanks to everyone here!! It’s great to have this community as friends.
Great to hear that you are doing well.

Check out Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn's ( of the Cleveland Clinic ) book called " Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease".

I have no affiliation with him, but do know of at least 5 people who have reversed their Heart disease by way of his approach.

I share this with you and others here in the amazing community, in hopes of that we can all live long enough and be healthy enough to see more of Tesla's upcoming successes, and enjoy our chairs in health.

Tesla's early AP1 vehicles were built using Mobileye tech, that predates the end of their partnership and when Tesla started building its own stuff.

But you'll find plenty of people who prefer Autopilot on those earlier AP1 vehicles compared to what's offered today
0FD25B47-CAC6-4B1A-8855-F499F90E14DE.gif

That’s only 24kW. It would take this kind of charger a whole day to charge the truck. You could possibly do this over the weekend but operations during the week require a much higher charging speed, especially when you have much more trucks than chargers.

For reference, I believe Pepsi’s chargers for their Tesla Semis are 750kW.
24kW beats the heck out of 0kW when you're parked someplace that doesn't have DC fast charging.

24kW beats the heck out of 0kW when you're parked someplace that doesn't have DC fast charging.
There are no Tesla-compatible AC chargers that charge at 100a. I think the J1772 standard tops off at a similar amperage.

Destination chargers charge peak at 48a (on a 60a breaker), and 11kw. So 48 hours for a full charge on a 500 kWh truck or almost 4 full days to recharge the 1000 kWh truck.

Still might be useful if you charge to 80% before parking then plug in to top off overnight I guess.

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke and unk45