Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the problems at Proterra and would buses be a good line extension for Tesla?

Highly unlikely Musk cares about buses. He sees a world full of driverless vehicles where buses are rarely the right size vehicle. How often do 56 people need to start and finish in the same places at the same time? Once the driver is removed, it‘s about cost per seat and cents per km. Mass production favours smaller vehicles. 5 x 12 seaters for a lower price than one bus. With platooning you get energy efficiency.
Where I live there’s 2 buses per day. You could run a driverless 12 seater service every 15mins or on demand for less cost.

Bigger question, does public transport make sense at all if robotaxi is cheaper than a bus ticket? It may be that the cost becomes irrelevant and the deciding factor is which vehicles best utilise available road lanes. Different models for big cities, lower densities and rural.

Highly unlikely Musk cares about buses. He sees a world full of driverless vehicles where buses are rarely the right size vehicle. How often do 56 people need to start and finish in the same places at the same time? Once the driver is removed, it‘s about cost per seat and cents per km. Mass production favours smaller vehicles. 5 x 12 seaters for a lower price than one bus. With platooning you get energy efficiency.
Where I live there’s 2 buses per day. You could run a driverless 12 seater service every 15mins or on demand for less cost.

Bigger question, does public transport make sense at all if robotaxi is cheaper than a bus ticket? It may be that the cost becomes irrelevant and the deciding factor is which vehicles best utilise available road lanes. Different models for big cities, lower densities and rural.
Schools, big events, etc.

As much as Musk seems to dislike buses they are definitely around for quite a while. Tesla doesn’t need to do them though, there is room for niches, or perhaps the Tesla Semi will be flexible enough to be altered to allow use cases like this.

Lots of niches for someone to fill.

Schools, big events, etc.

As much as Musk seems to dislike buses they are definitely around for quite a while. Tesla doesn’t need to do them though, there is room for niches, or perhaps the Tesla Semi will be flexible enough to be altered to allow use cases like this.

Lots of niches for someone to fill.
We need to see if the Gen3 van has a "Mini-bus" mode, and what the seating capacity is.

If the van can seat 10, or more buses could be replaced by multiple vans.

For really high urban transport demand, trams and subways are better than buses.

The is still a niche for buses, but it is a smaller niche.

A group of autonomous vans "loosely platooning" almost approximates to a trackless tram. Not al carriages (vans) need to stop at every stop, those behind need to stop if the one in front stops. On average fewer stops might mean higher throughput. or the worst case is the same performance as a tram.

Given the sneering here, I wouldn't have guessed that VW is #1 with EV market share in Europe, after being behind a few years ago. And that's with Tesla's Brandenburg factory up to 4,000/week.
I wouldn't have guessed that VW is #1 either. 🤔 😬

1679012323554.png

Last edited:
Speaking of German cars and user interfaces, BMW is phasing out its iDrive knob and dial mess:

Some have compared the complicated iDrive UI to cilantro. To some it tastes great. To others it tastes like soap.
Here's Bmw's HUD that stretches the full width of the windshield:

Big political donors drown out consumer choice. The negative comments to this tweet are unanimous.
Similar bills are now being considered by the Florida legislature. If passed and signed by Gov. DeSantis, Elon Musk may not remain as supportive of DeSantis' presidential ambitions. I emailed the governor and my two Florida legislators to state my objections to these bills. Other Floridians here may also want to relay their opinions to Florida politicians.

Similar bills are now being considered by the Florida legislature. If passed and signed by Gov. DeSantis, Elon Musk may not remain as supportive of DeSantis' presidential ambitions. I emailed the governor and my two Florida legislators to state my objections to these bills. Other Floridians here may also want to relay their opinions to Florida politicians.
Can't Elon just "buy" every Tesla dealership for a dollar and run it as a private dealership?

Good point, especially with Tesla's efforts at cost reduction. IIRC Proterra's busses start at somewhere around $750k. And of course, no FSD. Combine that with the fact that robotaxi eliminates the need to get to and from a bus stop to your destination (let alone subways/other forms of MT).

Can't Elon just "buy" every Tesla dealership for a dollar and run it as a private dealership?
No. If he does that he opens up every state to that kind of legislation. IIRC some stats only allow because there are no dealerships. Tesla stores, galleries, and service centres are not dealerships.

I wouldn't have guessed that VW is #1 either. 🤔 😬

View attachment 918362
Which really makes me wonder: where are they coming up with another $200 billion over the next 5 years to expand their EV manufacturing? Or, who would be crazy enough to loan them that much money in this economic environment?

The credit card rate is beyond concerning.

CreditCardRates2.jpg

Also, I'm working with mortgage lenders right now and the standards are kinda absurd to the point its quizzical and required some research on my part. Found this as a result and the uncertainty in the market makes way more sense:

More:

Here's Bmw's HUD that stretches the full width of the windshield:

BMW -> We’re making a flashy-science fiction HUD so you can drive better.

Tesla -> We’re making it so the only reason you’ll look out the window is to enjoy the scenery.

Hmm.