Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The seats are not a strong point except on the S/X. the Y and 3 show lack of seat experience.

I disagree - I have both the Model S Plaid and the Y performance -
Both with white interior
The seats on the Y are soooo much more comfortable and supportive, I just wish they had ventilation and not just heat.

I would happily trade the seats in my S for the 3/Y seats if available.

Reference - I am 6'5" (195.5 CM for you savages) and 190lbs (86kilos)

It really is a pleasure to drive the Y with the seats, just wish the rest of the car was like my Plaid.... (stupid round wheel, slow as molasses acceleration!)

Pictures of the Cybertruck sail storage shown in Tesla China magazine:

Judging by the door handles, they appear to be taken of one of the original prototypes, I had never seen these pics of the sail storage before.

I can’t wait for it to launch, and to get mine. Not advce, but It is possible that our chairs may no longer be under appreciated, once it does.
I love the handy storage, but how the heck does this relatively sparse triangular structure with all it's doors and other cut-outs still manage to achieve anything resembling a substantial structural monocoque?

Tesla are better placed to judge this, than we are to speculate on it..

One feature of the Dojo architecture is the interconnect bandwidth, which may be very hard for a generic solution to match, because most general solutions don't have the same data requirements.

And another issue is price, Dojo doesn't necessarily the fastest, just the cheapest, and the cheapest can be the cheapest for Tesla.

Nvidia might have an edge on R&D costs due to scale, but they don't have an cost edge in making chips that is overly significant. In the case of Dojo the R&D is already mostly done.

At worst Dojo is a form of duplicated supply chain that reduces the chances of hitting scaling bottlenecks due to demand for chips exceeding supply.

With AI potentially being the next "gold rush," demand for chips might be high, supplies might be tight, waiting lists long, and prices high.

I don't think Dojo will be considered a core part of the business. So Tesla will only retain it if it makes sense.,

Tesla still makes their own car seats and they could "out source" that, but they have chosen to keep it in house.
I'm sure someone could make a case that someone else has a better car seat.
How soon's that new chip factory in Texas going to be producing chips in Austin for Tesla? Huge win for Tesla and perhaps even a bigger win for national security.

they might as well change the language to, any country other than China.. ;)
That is almost it lol

But most precise and best way to think of it is three different tiers for critical minerals:
  1. Those from foreign entities of concern, currently China/Russia/North Korea/Iran, and the mere presence of these will soon (start of 2025) disqualify vehicles from credits entirely.
  2. Those not from foreign entities of concern but from countries who lack free-trade agreements with the US, these will not disqualify vehicles from credits but will not count towards the % requirements
  3. Those from North America and countries with free-trade agreements with with US, these are necessary to hit the % requirements.
You can imagine how this will go for manufacturers where they're trying to divvy up all these materials from various sources and deploy them within batteries most effectively to capture as many of the credits as possible, and here you have countries fighting for the inclusion of their minerals amid all the trade nuance around the world.

• Helpful
Reactions: unk45
Am I fool?
Every morning I get a cup of coffee and check the SP.
I think today must surely be the day TSLA breaks out and is fairly valued.

So I have been a fool for the last year or so...but TODAY! Yes TODAY is the day........right?
Apparently not.

Am I fool?

So I have been a fool for the last year or so...but TODAY! Yes TODAY is the day........right?
Let's go with the term "optimist" instead. Also, every afternoon replace coffee with tea (or your own favorite afternoon relaxing beverage) and enjoying this fine tune:

Haven’t seen this yet, here. Ingineerix tears down the new hairpin motors. So these are out in the wild in volume! Very cool to see this.

I has been reported that the hairpin motors have been in production at Tesla for months or years. What is new is the inverter, and maybe the oil filter and main housing.

GSP

I WANT! I WANT!! I WANT!!!

This is far, far more powerful effective marketing than the periodic suggestions of pointless cosmetic "freshen-up-the-exterior-styling" sort of scams foisted upon the tradition auto buyers by the traditional auto brands to provide some sort of illusory value to benefit the auto dealers; far more worth while than so-called "advertising" a few of us used to pollute this thread with. Instead, Tesla again provides real value, and, IMHO, unique CREDIBILITY that tradition auto assemblers does not.

And when they release the all-wheel steering Plaid X, you can be sure I'll dip into my TSLA winnings to trade up to one of those too.
Edit- Can't find the video someone posted here (last week I think it was), with the red Model X with apparent all wheel steering on the test track. Model X customers probably aren't pinching pennies on the most rational of cost-cutting decisions. I'm trusting Tesla not to produce them until they engineer it to last.

(...regarding my "TSLA winnings", yes, they are terribly down compared to the ATH. I assume they'll be back up by the time my Cybertruck, let alone my dreamed-of rear wheel steering Plaid X is actually a thing.)

Last edited:
I'm excited for my Cybertruck, but not a fan of the 4 wheel steering. I'm worried that means more alignments and increased tire wear if the alignments aren't done regularly?
It's been done for a long time:

I am positive that Tesla's implementation will be more than fine and very welcomed for such a large vehicle.

So never? Rear steering has use on a large truck that may go off road but has minimal use on something like the X.
One of the features of many rear-steering setups is that it can be speed/angle dependent. Above a certain speed, the rear wheels will turn in the same direction as the front (at least for certain steering input angle ranges), albeit at a lesser angle then the fronts.. This has the effect of enabling lateral lane changes at speed while reducing body roll and tendency for the rear end to come around during high-speed emergency maneuvers, thus reducing the need to then countersteer to avoid skids.

This is valuable regardless of vehicle size.

Last edited:
Am I fool?

I don't believe we will have a meaningful upward movement on the share price until the CT is ramping smoothly. The next few months are either for accumulating or working on your don't obsess skills. I still fail at the later.

I'm hoping it's in April once Q1/2023 delivery numbers are out...with a run-up leading up to the P&D report. Q1 is historically a rough quarter the past few years, hoping for a breakout to lead into a strong 2023 delivery year.

I don't believe we will have a meaningful upward movement on the share price until the CT is ramping smoothly. The next few months are either for accumulating or working on your don't obsess skills. I still fail at the later.

Here's to hoping it starts after the P&D report for Q1/2023 next week...fwiw, that's my prediction.

Yeah, no. The nVidia do-it-all, throw-sugar-against-the-wall approach will not stack up to Dojo in the end, for a simple reason: (purpose-built hardware)

Elon: "We think that it does have a fundamental architectural advantage because it's designed not to be -- the GPU is trying to do many things for many people. It's trying to do graphics, video games. It's doing crypto mining. It's doing a lot of things. Dojo is just doing one thing, and that is training. And we're also optimizing the low-level software."​

Regarding "OpenAI achievements", after they refund the $100M USD that Elon donated to this NOT-FOR-PROFIT charity which he partly founded, then they can claim achievements. Until then, OpenAI misappropriated charitable donations (that's a felony, btw):

Sounds like an important issue for the courts to review. Charitible donors need to have confidence that their funds won't be misused to further private or for-profit interests.

Along these lines are the ability to tailor your custom silicon for the intended workload. The in-car FSD computer is a good example... the compute units are FP8, as the precision of FP16 wasn't needed and just added complexity/cost/size/thermal load for no real gain. Not saying DOJO is FP8, but they definitely no their workload and can take advantage of that...

I has been reported that the hairpin motors have been in production at Tesla for months or years. What is new is the inverter, and maybe the oil filter and main housing.

GSP
Here, from the Go Giga video from 2021

Likely some or everything made in Shanghai since then has been Hairpin

I don't know if Berlin is making motors yet or if they como from Shanghai, but either way everything made in Berlin is also Hairpin

Only place that might be still using copper strands is Nevada