Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If only I was as smart as Drew, as hard working, and as dedicated to stick with a volatile startup, then I could have been CEO.

Alas, I’m stuck here with other low-life’s of TMC.
Cheer up, mate! Drew's meme game is weak (if not nonexistent) and you've got at least 30 pounds of muscle mass on him.

Sorry to disappoint, but no... there were plenty of cars available in March, and Tesla kept cutting prices in their inventory listings, with most Model 3 variants getting "showroom adjustments" of £4,000-£6,000. I actually stopped by my *local* delivery centre on March 31st and the lot was full (hundreds of cars, see photos), despite their inventory page showing only a handful of cars available at that location. Tesla has close to 20 delivery centres in the UK, and the last ship from Shanghai docked in Southampton on 19 March, plenty of time to get the cars delivered if there were customers willing to take delivery.

It's easy to claim that Tesla has "infinite demand", but the truth is, while Tesla's vehicles see a lot more demand than similarly-priced cars, things like high interest rates and cost of ownership (as well as the current lack of EV incentives) are significant in the decision-making process of a potential car buyer.
View attachment 925286View attachment 925287View attachment 925289
RHD cars are batched and will not see a consistent delivery like other countries so naturally when they swap production to RHD, they make sure to make as many as possible for the next quarter to deliver, not for end of quarter push. So we should expect UK to have a ton of RHD cars end of Q for next quarter to deliver if that's just how logistics ended up.

Elon mentioned the switch between RHD and LHD is not cheap.

Last edited:
My wife suggested selling at $400. HODLing got me less than half the account value.
Of course, holding was also why we had shares at $400 in the first place...
For sure.

I have to remind myself of this every time I beat myself up about not seeing the signs of the major drawdown in late 2021. The same traits that made me not sell then are how I got there in the first place. So yeah, I could have went to cash and then nearly 4xed my number of shares/wealth but if I had a crystal ball that solid I could have just invested in BTC when it was a couple of bucks and sold at 60k.

I believe you are missing the stock splits. At the time just after Tesla IPO Toyota acquired 3% of Tesla, selling end of 2016. Current TSLA market cap at time of writing this post would have Toyota's share today at $18.2 billion. ATH over $40.0 B. There. I don't feel so bad now.

Just think, they could have sold their stake at the ATH and bought Twitter with it!

but, but, but, what about Hans Gruber... er, I mean Ross Gerber?

Edit: ninja'd by @M|S|M MYP
Actually.. If there's one member of the BoD I've been wondering about, and not in a good way, it's been James Rupert Murdoch. Yeah, one of those Murdochs.

I've owned some chairs (not many, compared to many of you) from before the big run-up. And was reading through the voting materials when I saw James in there. And, well, when Musk went kind of politically right-wing crazy, it struck me that there another.. opportunistic wanna-be in the top echelons of the company whose head-of-clan seems to be the subject of a lawsuit which claims said clan-head has said, paraphrasing not much, "Money is much more important than any truthiness!"

Don't know if Murdoch has approached Musk on this in any way. But being in the BoD sort of makes him one of Musk's bosses.

Line down with dogs, get fleas. Could be wrong, sure hope I am.

Actually.. If there's one member of the BoD I've been wondering about, and not in a good way, it's been James Rupert Murdoch. Yeah, one of those Murdochs.

I've owned some chairs (not many, compared to many of you) from before the big run-up. And was reading through the voting materials when I saw James in there. And, well, when Musk went kind of politically right-wing crazy, it struck me that there another.. opportunistic wanna-be in the top echelons of the company whose head-of-clan seems to be the subject of a lawsuit which claims said clan-head has said, paraphrasing not much, "Money is much more important than any truthiness!"

Don't know if Murdoch has approached Musk on this in any way. But being in the BoD sort of makes him one of Musk's bosses.

Line down with dogs, get fleas. Could be wrong, sure hope I am.
My understanding is that James and his father don't have the same politics.

You can order a Rivian and get it in 4 months or less now? Has Rivian burned through their backlog already?

At their IPO, they claimed 150,000 orders on their books. We know they haven’t shipped that many. Are they following in Lucid‘s footsteps here with high cancellations or ??

Cybertruck isn’t even out yet.

EDIT: Slight correction, Rivian had 55,400 R1T & R1S orders on the books at launch and 100,000 vans on order from Amazon. Even so, they haven’t delivered nearly 55,000 trucks.

Last edited:
I believe you are missing the stock splits. At the time just after Tesla IPO Toyota acquired 3% of Tesla, selling end of 2016. Current TSLA market cap at time of writing this post would have Toyota's share today at $18.2 billion. ATH over $40.0 B. There. I don't feel so bad now.

TSLA at IPO was $17
/5/3 = 1.13 which is what @insaneoctane used as the cost basis into $50M to get the 44 million shares used for the rest of the calculations.

EDIT: Slight correction, Rivian had 55,400 R1T & R1S orders on the books at launch and 100,000 vans on order from Amazon. Even so, they haven’t delivered nearly 55,000 trucks.
They had ~114k R1T/R1S preorders as of 11/7/2022, the last time I see they released the number. I'm sure they lost a ton of them when they lost the tax credit. And a bunch are probably for "max pack" variants that aren't supposed to be available until the second half of the year.

You can order a Rivian and get it in 4 months or less now? Has Rivian burned through their backlog already?

At their IPO, they claimed 150,000 orders on their books. We know they haven’t shipped that many. Are they following in Lucid‘s footsteps here with high cancellations or ??

Cybertruck isn’t even out yet.

Huh. Maybe I should take back what I had been saying about Rivians aborted price hike last year. I thought they had more than enough backlog to stick to their 18% price hike and weather the storm but maybe they didn’t.

For a while now Rivian has had a way for people to get an R1T truck within days from a list of manufactured trucks that presumably had been made for test drives and cancelled orders. No SUVs were on that list. So yes, maybe they are having trouble moving the trucks. Having a broken tonneau cover probably doesn’t help.