Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand why Tesla still is not starting car insurance business. This has been discussed many times in the past. With one accident every 2 million miles, the combined rate (payout: premium) could be as low as 30%. Most insurance businesses have combined rate of 98~110%. This would force other companies to reduce premium on Tesla cars, but they can't compete because Tesla knows the cars and drivers better, and Tesla can fix the cars in their own shops, real vertical integration. This would benefit car owners too. From insurance business alone, I estimate Tesla can earn $500 from each car per year. That's about $8k (with investment gain) on each car in 10 years, $8B profit from every 1 million cars.

Last edited:
ok, how the heck do we get to 500k cars in next 12 months?

5000 M3 in U.S for next 6 months, then say 6500 the following 6 months

That's very pessimistic. Panasonic just said they installed 35 GWh/year capacity by end of March 31. Even if they were at ~24 GWh in Q1 they'll work hard to at least get closer to 35 GWh. Panasonic actually has more to lose if they endanger their exclusive partnership with Tesla.

So let's assume they get from 24 GWh to close to 35 GWh in say 6 months. That already increases the LR output from 5k/week to 7.3k/week - with SR packs it's up to 10.7k/week - with a 50%/50% mix it's around 8.5k/week.

Plus in China they might choose another cell supplier.

This whole notion of “the market has already priced in...” is bullshit, there is no such thing w/ TSLA. If you don’t see that you are blind.

Good news may give a spike, but will be undone the next few days with a barrage of FUD articles. Every sign that something positive may be released will be pre-empted by a massive effort to push the stock down.

Take for example the Panasonic FUD last week. Media spinned as proof of demand problems. Stock lost $10.

Then over the weekend we heard Elon explain it was not demand but production limited. Today we get punished again! What happened to the demand problem disproven? Wouldn’t you expect we would gain the $10 back? Nope, another $8 down.

Priced-in does not exist with TSLA. Everyone expects Q1 to be bad, right? Just wait for Apr 25, I bet another $10-20 drop.

I hope I’m wrong, I really do!
Market appears to price in hyper performance and expectations for tesla only. Even when the GF in China goes up, it will take time to ramp, like any production process. The converse is that if traditional auto manufacturers announce, build, and complete a brand new factory in China, market would be very positive just to the news of that, even if it does not happen for years...

Reactions: Cherry Wine
Either way, the 500k is another super optimistic tweet that was unnecessary. Forget deliveries, at this point, it will be a miracle even getting to production of that amount. This is the kind of tweets, as with the very vague tweet regarding $5-7K battery modules cost, that shorts use to eat this thing up.

Shorts spin everything negative. No tweets from Elon would be a sign to shorts that bankwuptcy is imminent.

That's very pessimistic. Panasonic just said they installed 35 GWh/year capacity by end of March 31. Even if they were at ~24 GWh in Q1 they'll work hard to at least get closer to 35 GWh. Panasonic actually has more to lose if they endanger their exclusive partnership with Tesla.

So let's assume they get from 24 GWh to close to 35 GWh in say 6 months. That already increases the LR output from 5k/week to 7.3k/week - with SR packs it's up to 10.7k/week - with a 50%/50% mix it's around 8.5k/week.

500k is not going to happen especially since they removed the cheap $35k vehicle. In reality that is probably their smartest move in a while because it makes no sense to sell vehicles that they take a loss on and it would be nice to see an actual profit at some point on this company.

I'd think that a large % of Uber trips are business travelers. So depends on what companies pay - if they pay only normal Uber rates (or as some companies like Facebook do, only shared rides to office), that is where most of the rides would be.
Most companies don't monitor taxi rates that closely. As long as you don't show up to the client site in a limo, you are unlikely to be questioned. (former biz traveler, IBM, Accenture, PWC)

Reactions: Zhelko Dimic
Following up on a post I made over the weekend: My wife does some work in vehicle automation and sent me a copy of the SAE automated driving levels document.

The document does, indeed, appear to require that, no matter what happens, the car has to continue managing itself for at least "several seconds" after a failure before handing control back to the user to be considered fully level 3. That seems crazy to me in that that would still apply if all sensors went dark simultaneously, but it's there. As written, it would seem to require the ADS to continue functioning for several seconds even if the entire car was vaporized by a nuclear bomb.

That said, that appears to be the only condition of level 3 automation that Navigate on Autopilot doesn't currently meet(I think... I've never actually gotten or heard about anyone else getting the sudden red-hands with NoA active...) in its freeway driving ODD. Even the fallback requirements are met for any normal road conditions it can't handle. Some of the features are even venturing into level 4, with fallback to a different computer system state instead of the human(e.g. during heavy rain or too tight of a curve NoA falls back to standard autopilot).

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow

Panasonic said that they installed lines, but all equipment is not yet operational

Musk offers a narrative that directly competes with statements issued by Panasonic. The Japanese electronics group told Nikkei that the Gigafactory attained the 35 gwh capacity during the fiscal year ended in March. However, Panasonic adds that not all the installed equipment is operational, and that the company has not publicized the actual production performance.

Tesla shares flat after Musk blames Panasonic for Gigafactory woes

Panasonic said that they installed lines, but all equipment is not yet operational

Musk offers a narrative that directly competes with statements issued by Panasonic. The Japanese electronics group told Nikkei that the Gigafactory attained the 35 gwh capacity during the fiscal year ended in March. However, Panasonic adds that not all the installed equipment is operational, and that the company has not publicized the actual production performance.

Tesla shares flat after Musk blames Panasonic for Gigafactory woes

Lol if the install equipment isn't operational then you're not at 35 gwh capacity! That's a pretty big "However"

OT. My heart goes out to our French members and all of Europe for the damage to Nôtre Dame.
Here, here.

Dan

Mod: while I'm sure most readers (including me) here agree, this is not a thread where we want more postings that are irrelevant to the thread. We will delete any such postings from here on. --ggr.

Last edited by a moderator:
These guys need to go back to school and learn English.

Panasonic statement is supporting Musk's statement. Not "competing" with his narrative.

A history of Elon self driving predictions:
2015: Elon Musk Says Tesla Vehicles Will Drive Themselves in Two Years - Tesla Vehicles Will Drive Themselves in Two Years
2016: Elon Musk on Twitter - Tesla driving itself coast to coast in two years
2017: Elon Musk clarifies Tesla’s plan for level 5 fully autonomous driving: 2 years away from sleeping in the car - Full self driving, level 5, two years away
2018: Tesla CEO Elon Musk: ‘self-driving will encompass all modes of driving by the end of next year’ - self-driving will encompass all modes of driving by the end of the next year.

this is why I don't really like hyping up FSD from an investor perspective. it's great if it works out, but that's not why TSLA is undervalued right now imo.

ok, how the heck do we get to 500k cars in next 12 months?

5000 M3 in U.S for next 6 months, then say 6500 the following 6 months

3000 more in China for last 6 months (aggressive)

80,000 S+X

That's 442500 cars over 12 months. I don't have any confidence that Model 3 rate in U.S will be signficantly above 5000 / week anytime soon.

Is it possible GF3 will produce in any significant quantity before Q4? Or is it going to ramp to over 3,000 / week by 2020Q1?

Semi production should be small to not matter that much.

Could Model Y actually be produced earlier than stated?

Look at the VIN registrations lately. It's like 80% RWD. Since LR only comes in AWD/P we know that those 80% RWD are all SR+ Model 3s.

LR has 78KWh. SR+ has 54KWh. Do the math. There's enough bty cells to make 7K Model 3s per week. That's 350K in the next 12 months.

Further, add 80K S/X per guidance, and China needs to make only 70K from start of production to 2020Q2. That's about 23 weeks of production. So if GF3/Shanghai is producing Model 3s by about Nov, then the numbers add up to 500K total in the next 12 months.

I don't understand why Tesla still is not starting car insurance business. This has been discussed many times in the past. With one accident every 2 million miles, the combined rate (payout: premium) could be as low as 30%. Most insurance businesses have combined rate of 98~110%. This would force other companies to reduce premium on Tesla cars, but they can't compete because Tesla knows the cars and drivers better, and Tesla can fix the cars in their own shops, real vertical integration. This would benefit car owners too. From insurance business alone, I estimate Tesla can earn $500 from each car per year. That's about $8k (with investment gain) on each car in 10 years, $8B profit from every 1 million cars.
My understanding is that it is very hard and very expensive to get in the insurance business. Every state has a mountain of regulations, so you need a few lawyers for each state. Once in, of course, it's a print money machine.