Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But not to their own facts ;)

Ofcourse why let facts come in the way of a good conspiracy theory ?
The more I immerse myself into the market and its mechanisms, as well as TSLA's price action, the more I believe that a lot of the artifacts that people on this forum attribute to manipulation are in fact attributable to TSLA's gigantic options market.

It's the options tail wagging the equity dog.

Settle down Ford fans. They’re a LONG way from building and ‘selling’ millions of EVs for a *gasp* profit. Right now a handful of Ford money losing EVs will be able to charge at Tesla SuperChargers in *looks at calendar* 7 months. I for one will not be holding my breath that long. Tesla could be bankrupt by then.
And for whoever said @Krugerrand doesn't ever take shots at Tesla...
You were wrong, she just body slammed them!! 😉

The more I immerse myself into the market and its mechanisms, as well as TSLA's price action, the more I believe that a lot of the artifacts that people on this forum attribute to manipulation are in fact attributable to TSLA's gigantic options market.

It's the options tail wagging the equity dog.
Right. So perhaps it should be looked into why TSLA’s options market was ever allowed to become so big that the dog is getting smashed against the coffee table?

Tesla and Ford
I wonder if this gets TSLA closer to a point where they spin out the supercharging network as a separate business (SPCH), separately traded company, ala the way there is discussion for SpaceX spinning out Starlink. Not sure what advantage there'd be to Tesla to do that, other than realizing a slug of cash in the near future as opposed to generating steady and increasing income over time.
I can't see Tesla wanting to give up control of Supercharger pricing and the pace of Supercharger network expansion.

Reactions: Andy O and navguy12
It's kind of scary to see sales slumping because this is that point shorts were waiting for...the peak of a new model follow by massively decline until the next model year. It just never happened for Tesla as sales seemed to increase with a 6 year old platform.

We saw this with the ipace, lucid and the Taycan. Strong start and then dying with a whimper.
It's not surprising but still rather dumbfounding that all this attention gets paid to Tesla demand when Ford, and pretty much every other auto makers making an EV, is facing a dire situation, especially in the US.

For Mach E sales to be tumbling the way they are even though their total sales to date isn't that high and for gross margins to be getting worse combined with having a price war with a company that has exponential more pricing power/margin cushion should be frightening for all of Tesla's competition. The cherry on top is that government incentives that were clearly trying to help Ford and the other are now giving Tesla further competitive advantages.

Knowing that Tesla is willing to outright say "we will sacrifice margin to run at maximum output" WHILE Tesla is in the final stages of getting 2 new factories up to mass production volume (with a 3rd even larger factory coming next year) has be downright depressing for Tesla's competition.

Even the Chinese EV makers are going through their rude awakening in finding out that Tesla can and will compete with them on price locally while they enjoy zero of the benefits they get locally once they expand overseas. The IRA act already puts them at a significant disadvantage to Tesla in the US but now it looks like Europe is about in institute their own version of the IRA which again, benefits Tesla since Berlin is now at volume production.

How anyone can take Ford and GM's guidance for production and especially margins seriously is laughable.

Last edited:
When Tesla starts releasing disengagement rates … we’ll know they are close. Ofcourse before that we’ll know because half a million of us have FSD now.

Wait … need to disengage for this roundabout;)
Sentiment on FB FSD group changed greatly after v11. Before then people were generally making fun of how their car is trying to kill them.

Even though F got a bigger increase today, TSLA created 10x more wealth....
F +6.24%. $48.4B (MC) x 0.0624 = +$3.0B
TSLA +4.72% $612.3B (MC) x 0.0472 = +$28.9B

Lazy me used final MC, so slightly off, but good enough to make my point!

It still felt like yesterday when TSLA was less than 28.9 billion and Jim Chanos was on CNBS predicting the imminent demise of the company.

Fun times.

With the talk about the Ford partnership taking market from Tesla and so on, I put some data and speculation together to put things into perspective, specially how the competition charging wise on the current EV truck space compares

A few important notes, consumption figures taken from EPA Highway tests cycle, Cybertruck being 10% more efficient than the average of F150 and R1T and it's pack size estimated at 185 kWh from a previous post of mine

Cybertruck Supercharger V3 - Is a Model 3 charge curve scaled up to Cybertruck pack size and capped at 250 kW
Cybertruck Supercharger V4 350 kW - Same as above but capped at 350 kW MarcoRP said that a source confirmed this is Supercharger V4 power, I'm a bit skeptical
Cybertruck Supercharger V4 500 kW - Double current Supercharger V3 and would make travelling with Cybertruck be faster than current Teslas

I think the most important charts to look are C-Rate vs SoC and Miles Added Per Minute vs SoC

The former shows how little the other EV trucks are pushing their packs, not breaking the 1.5 C, while Model 3 breaks 3 C, specially on the Hummer because at first you might say "Wow, it charges at over 350 kW" yeah, on a 250 kWh pack it's nothing and your charge session is really slow

The latter takes everything into account, C-Rate and efficiency and it is what matters, since % charged mean nothing, what matters is how much range you add per unity of time, and here we see how bad the existing EV trucks perform

If Supercharger V4 is indeed 350 kW, not bad but the experience will be a bit worse than current Tesla models, also, the 4680 improvements can still be applied, so instead of holding 350 kW up to 38%, it might hold up to 50%

All the above is just speculations taking into account some 4680 tests, data from papers about the tabless electrode and being quite conservative at the assumptions, we might be surprised and be better still

EVTrucksPowerVsSoC.png

EVTrucksCRatevsSoC.png

EVTrucksMilesAddedVsSoC.png

Heads are exploding over in the MachE forum (don't go there, trust me).

Some feel betrayed. Some are delighted. Some that were complaining that Ford needed a better charging network but hated Elon are just flat out pissed off.

Overall, well-received, but it's so damned funny to watch the tribalism (like a certain thread here). People get what they want, but are pissed off about who is Santa Claus.

I just checked again, now 24h after the post, and the thread has accumulated nearly 30 pages of replies. Very entertaining reading, but the TL;DR is that most are very happy to have pending access to the Supercharger network and many consider Musk, even if they hate his guts, a "master negotiator" for this move.