Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I just said I failed to put an /s on my post. So, back at you.
Nice try, but no. There was zero sarcasm in the post both Fire and I are referencing. There was, however, an abundance of it in the post you were responding to.

Your post contained detailed explanations of how a machine works and how it likely shows mfging advancements etc…. That’s helpful and informative to people who don’t know about these particular machines, but it’s not sarcasm (here comes the sarcasm) anymore than I’m likely to invite you to my mountain for tea and crumpets.

Looks like charging companies FLO, EverCharge and Circuit Electrique are adding Tesla's NACS as well. Appears a chain reaction has begun, will be interesting to see this propagate over the next few weeks and months.

This is valuable to us because it helps us understand how the fund managers think. Gary himself qualifies by saying "this is how fund managers think", or something close to that.
Doesn’t help long term holders, but it could be valuable to traders, short term players, and people wanting to hire these types to manage their investment and retirement portfolios.

Oh, and it’s also helpful about who gets to stay at Hilltop, safe from the zombies. Unless he has a hidden, useful skill like record holder for peeling potatoes, he’s on his own.

Last edited:
Looks like charging companies FLO, EverCharge and Circuit Electrique are adding Tesla's NACS as well. Appears a chain reaction has begun, will be interesting to see this propagate over the next few weeks and months.

Pfft! I guess my suitcase of adapters is about to join the hamburger press, onion slicer, garlic press and all the other one hit wonders and useless kitchen gadgets drawer.

I tried a search of TMC but couldn’t find any of our SME’s having looked into the recent GA2/GA3 permitting and shed some light on what they think might be going in there. Model 3, Semi etc.

This Giga Texas place looks like it’s quickly becoming a force.

For TLA (three letter acronym) clarification; SME is subject matter expert.

Doesn’t help long term holders, but it could be valuable to traders, short term players, and people wanting to hire these types to manage their investment and retirement portfolios.
I'm a long term investor and he helps me. My nature is that of a dreamer so it's good for me to listen to people who are totally pragmatic. I bet at least half the people on this forum, whether they know it or not, are a lot like me.

There used to be a subset group on this forum who were heavily investing and trading in solar companies. They would endlessly moan and cry about their losses while I was thinking "how are you losing so much while I'm making so much?". It was really only a thousand here and two thousand there, but I never once lost. The reason; I was choosing my entry and exit points using technical analysis. Using technicals helped me stay pragmatic while those others remained dreamers out of control.

My brothers father in-law was a dreamer. He made a fortune in real estate but lost a large chunk of it when he shifted to the stock market where it was too easy for his vision to go unchecked. I don't want what happened to Ray to happen to me. I want influences that keep me in check and Gary is good for that. By the way, for sure Gary is right in not factoring in the potential for bot and he's at least partially right for not factoring in FSD.

Ah yes, the Fortune 500 list came in yesterdays issue. Always make for a nice evening swilling a Kosta Browne Pinot and some serious giddiness. I save all these physical issues of the magazine for fun.

See my prior post of "Particular Merit" :cool: from 2021:

Shown below:

Merit Post.png

The #100 rank in 2021 turned into #62 last year (2022), pretty close to my estimate of #63. And the part about hitting the top 50 strangely enough was spot on, as Tesla hit #50. Revenue was $81.462 billion. Yahoo is showing estimated revenue for 2023 of $99 billion. That would get Tesla to position #39, right between Pfizer and Lowe's.

2020: #124
2021: #100
2022: #62
2023: #50
2024: #39 ?

Page 42 has an entire 8 page story about Tesla, with the headline being: Have we reached peak Tesla? With the byline under it saying: Tesla reached the top 50 of the Fortune 500 faster than any other company on this year's list. But with the automaker's EV market share in steady decline, CEO Elon Musk faces pressure to find his next moonshot.

Hopefully next year's issue will include an answer to the posed question. Given the last couple weeks price movement, the answer is looking more clear. ;) Haven't even read the article yet...

And then page #F27 shows the best investments of the last 1, 5 and 10 years. Tesla maintains the #1 rank for 10 years with an annual return of 49.2%. Nvidia is a close second at 48.3%. The best part of this particular page is that the top of the page has this in very large font: 49.2% Tesla's annualized rate of return to shareholders 2012-2022.

GM and Ford are both right around position #20, and both have revenue about 2x what Tesla has. Ford loss was $1.981 billion, while GM profit was $9.934 billion. Tesla's profit was $12.556 billion on half the other automakers revenue. And the $12.5 billion was good enough to place it at #24 on the profit list, where Apple sits at #1 with $99 billion this year. So basically Tesla just needs to 8x their annual profit to knock Apple off the podium. Might have to wait a couple few years for that celebration. The Kosta Browne will age nicely by then.

RT

Yeah, I picked up my first Tesla at Fremont in February 2013, and used the Gilroy, Harris, Tejon, and Hawthorne Superchargers to get home to San Diego. Along the way, I took this picture:

View attachment 945403
Great picture... judging by the reflection, you are one hell of a good looking dude!.... that is coming from my wife who saw your post.
Personally, I think you are just okay looking.....

Last edited:
[One of the referenced articles: ] Page 42 has an entire 8 page story about Tesla, with the headline being: Have we reached peak Tesla? With the byline under it saying: Tesla reached the top 50 of the Fortune 500 faster than any other company on this year's list. But with the automaker's EV market share in steady decline,
This assumes the EV market is static and will never increase, it’s just a FUD spin on the facts. The only market that matters is the total automotive market.

I'm a long term investor and he helps me. My nature is that of a dreamer so it's good for me to listen to people who are totally pragmatic. I bet at least half the people on this forum, whether they know it or not, are a lot like me.

There used to be a subset group on this forum who were heavily investing and trading in solar companies. They would endlessly moan and cry about their losses while I was thinking "how are you losing so much while I'm making so much?". It was really only a thousand here and two thousand there, but I never once lost. The reason; I was choosing my entry and exit points using technical analysis. Using technicals helped me stay pragmatic while those others remained dreamers out of control.

My brothers father in-law was a dreamer. He made a fortune in real estate but lost a large chunk of it when he shifted to the stock market where it was too easy for his vision to go unchecked. I don't want what happened to Ray to happen to me. I want influences that keep me in check and Gary is good for that. By the way, for sure Gary is right in not factoring in the potential for bot and he's at least partially right for not factoring in FSD.

There is another strategy for what you call people that are dreamers and that is offloading responsibility on things you're not good at (e.g. technical analysis by professional financial advisors and portfolio managers) to focus on the things you're good at (e.g. finding unique opportunities). Yeah, there's people that can do both, but they're really hard to find.

I'm pretty good at math and money management, but I certainly am not a wiz at mutual funds and tax strategies. It's been difficult handing off large sums of wealth to a professional money manager and relying on their line of thought to inform my own, but its starting to adapt into a solid working relationship.

Pfft! I guess my suitcase of adapters is about to join the hamburger press, onion slicer, garlic press and all the other one hit wonders and useless kitchen gadgets drawer.
Looks like NACS it’s on its way to becoming the North American standard. Do you really want to spend time faffing around with adapters? No? Well then from this point on you should buy a vehicle with a port to accept to the NACS charger. Who makes vehicles with those? How long until others are making cars with those?

Also, if you think finding a non-NACS charger, then having it work is a challenge today, imagine what that situation will be like 5 years after it’s lost the title of being the standard Level 3 charger.

Even if I hated Musk/Tesla, I’d have a hard time justifying buying a vehicle without the NACS charging port now. How long until anyone else is producing BEVs with NACS ports in volume?

OK: Moderators, I know that there's a NACS thread. But I'm posting the below since it seems to be corroborating evidence about the finances of the deal with GM and probably Ford.

On my dead-tree newspaper this morning there was an Associated Press article by a Mr. Tom Krisher about the GM deal. Mostly factual, the usual about, "Tesla owners may be upset about crowded SC stalls", on the left coast, anyway.

But the more interesting quote was as follows:
'Financial deals of the agreement between the two companies were not released Thursday, but GM spokesman Darryll Harrison said GM isn't paying Tesla.
"Tesla will get better utilization of their network and all the new charging revenue, which will help them expand the network further," Harrison said. "There are other opportunities both companies can take advantage of as a result of the agreement."'

All right, people! Let's see if I've got this straight.
  1. In a previous post I stated that Musk/Tesla had said that the SC network was not a "profit center". I stand corrected: It's designed to pull a 10% profit margin.
  2. With the gross revenues coming in, less the profit, Tesla currently:
    1. Pays for the electricity
    2. Pays for upkeep and repairs
    3. Pays for putting in new Superchargers.
In another previous post I had suggested that Ford and GM would probably prime the pump a bit by putting in some capital meant to step increase the number of Superchargers in North America. Based upon Mr. Harrison's statement, that appears to not be the case. It also appears that there won't be profit sharing between Tesla and GM/Ford. It's simply (I know, it's hard to get one's head around this) Tesla being altruistic, non money-grubbers, interested in moving the adoption of BEVs forward, for the Good of All.

Elon has said (and that's in the AP article, too) that he wants a level playing field. I take that as GM/Ford users not paying an extra fee for Not Being A Tesla Owner.

Forget Betamax vs. VHS. For that matter, forget CD/DVDs: Were you all aware that Siemens and other parties get a cut of each CD/DVD made because they have patents on the formats? Or the encoding formats?

There's probably some license fee being paid to somebody, somewhere. But it sure doesn't appear to be Tesla. This is astonishing: It's the first time I can think of where some money-grubber gatekeeper/troll in the patent/copyright/trademark space isn't collecting money. And it's all in the interests of speeding BEV adoption along.

My S.O. was thinking about it this morning. We have a Gen II wall connector in the garage. Gee: When we sell the house, we won't have to worry that the new owner won't be able to use it!

The CCS committee must be gnashing their teeth right now. Good riddance.

I have a bunch of apparently intelligent buddies who are convinced that the supercharger deals are Tesla losing, and being forced to open up by the governments, and this shows how stupid elon is and yada yada unintelligent hate-spam and stupidity...
The same people dont seem to think there is any branding impact at all on all those Ford/GM owners having to rely on Tesla for roadtrips. These peoples inability to comprehend kindergarten level marketing boggles my mind.

One extra thing that occurs to me regarding thiese deals.
Imagine someone who knows nothing about EVs in a GM/Ford dealership, being tempted to sign the deal and buy the BEV, but asking where you would charge the vehicle on a roadtrip. Imagine the difficulty of framing an answer that doesnt mention the word Tesla.

Being virtually forced to mention the name of the industry leader and your chief competitor right at the point of sale.

It amazes me that actual adults who can tie their shoelaces, do not see this as a hilarious victory for Tesla and defeat for GM/Ford. But such people exist. I guess thats why the stock is only $250 and not $350 already. But that time will come.

There's probably some license fee being paid to somebody, somewhere. But it sure doesn't appear to be Tesla. This is astonishing: It's the first time I can think of where some money-grubber gatekeeper/troll in the patent/copyright/trademark space isn't collecting money.

Best prior example I can think of -- when inventor Frederick Banting discovered insulin in 1923, he refused to put his name on the patent. He felt it was unethical for a doctor to profit from a discovery that would save lives. Banting’s co-inventors, James Collip and Charles Best, sold the insulin patent to the University of Toronto for a mere $1. They wanted everyone who needed their medication to be able to afford it.

Of course it didn't stay that way.

Only $3M? Lucky you. Mine's down >$6M from then. Up 8% from a year ago tomorrow. All Tesla.
Can we all sit back and appreciate how utterly insane the vast majority of people would say that we are? Down 2 million, 3, 4, 6...I'm sure some here or in our loose Tesla network are down 10, 20+ or more. The average person would have a heart attack if their 401k dropped 20% even. Many of us put a lot of our life savings into this stock at some point, in the hands of an erratic genius who openly admitted it was stupidity squared to build an electric vehicle company.

So much for "TSLA investors got lucky". Sure some luck is involved, but diamond cajónes and a bit of masochism are definite requirements.

2768f0f6b37915c4_Captain-America-Civl-War-All-Day.gif

All right, people! Let's see if I've got this straight.
  1. In a previous post I stated that Musk/Tesla had said that the SC network was not a "profit center". I stand corrected: It's designed to pull a 10% profit margin.
  2. With the gross revenues coming in, less the profit, Tesla currently:
    1. Pays for the electricity
    2. Pays for upkeep and repairs
    3. Pays for putting in new Superchargers.

1. 10% after items 2.2 and 2.3, possibly not including 2.1

2.1. Tesla also generates the electricity they sell
2.2. As they do now
2.3. As currently, but now with additional revenue from Ford and GM owners

Reminds me of
Janney coupler - Wikipedia