Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I missing something? Why are you comparing computer vision + autonomous driving to natural language processing? Other than both make use of machine learning there is nothing similar between them. And, for all the issues with defining the problems confronting driving, that is nothing compared to the difficulty of parsing a single language -- let alone translating between them.

Both are machine learning based not similar enough for you? Tesla's new SoC happens to be a specialized NN computer! NN just happens to be the most important part of the system!

The underlying NN structure and the training mechanism are essentially the same. Actually natural language processing is a much simpler problem than object recognition based on video.

I don't know about this AI thing at all. Pick Google translator, the best AI based translator. Chinese, Korean and Japanese related translation is complete garbage. While I am vacationing in France, just found out it's French translation is only adequate in the most common daily sentences, very often I got jiberish.

Note that Google specialized in natural language understanding and is widely considered to be the best AI company in the world.

Natural language is a very different problem to Vision. I find Google Translate extremely useful for all languages, it is never precise, but has always been functionally useful since the 2016 upgrade to a machine learning system. Natural language AI had multiple huge breakthroughs last year, none of which have yet been integrated into a commercial translation app, so I expect to see big improvements in Google Translate in the near future.

This is normal behavior for every almost executive in every industry. Stock is a large portion of their pay. If you need money, you sell stock. If you follow a proper investment plan, you sell stock. For many of them, the sales will be automatic.

While this is true, Gracias is selling 50k shares out of a 270k position. Previously he was selling at a much more modest rate. It might be that he just needs money, but it might also be that he is on the way out and separating from Tesla.

These would sell like hotcakes at the Tesla store alongside the short shorts.

On sale today, one day only! Buy a pair of short shorts and get a pair of reasonable pants free!

I don’t know anyone who could or should be wearing short shorts, but I’ve a whole bunch on my Christmas list that could benefit from a pair of reasonable pants. I’m a customer.

Natural language is a very different problem to Vision. I find Google Translate extremely useful for all languages, it is never precise, but has always been functionally useful. Natural language AI had multiple huge breakthroughs last year, none of which have yet been integrated into a commercial translation app, so I expect to see big improvements in Google Translate in the near future.

I am taking the online machine learning course from Stanford, the solution to the two problems are strikingly similar, especially when you talk about video based object recognition.

Google translate Functionally useful maybe 10 percent of the time when translating from Japanese to English. I found a sign in a restaurant in Japan that says "help yourself with water, no charge" and Google translate says "bring your own water".

I use Google translate to help me translate English to French, the waitress looked completely confused by what Google translate says to her.

While this is true, Gracias is selling 50k shares out of a 270k position. Previously he was selling at a much more modest rate. It might be that he just needs money, but it might also be that he is on the way out and separating from Tesla.

Not something that I would put any money on. Musk and Gracias are long-time friends and business associates.

Or it might be simple statistics that with dozens of high-ranking executives, one exec happening to sell 50k shares at a given point of time is not a rare event. :Þ

Jaguar CEO on CNBC right now, (paraphrase) "I don't think we'll see the majority of car sales being EVs for at least a couple decades."

Lol....it's almost physically impossible for adoption to slow to that rate. No follow up question of course.
giphy.gif

If the car when empty loses Internet connection, it will need to pull of the road at the first opportunity, and another car will be sent to the customer. With Uber I regularly get a driver switch waiting for my car to arrive.

What if the safety driver is needed to intervene during that drop out?
Either the remote safety driver is required, in which case you cannot have communication drop outs, or they are not needed and are not a safety driver, but rather an edge case drive arounder...