Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There doesn't even have to be any breakthroughs. Tesla has shown that just economies of scale, smart vertigal integration, and the current modest rate of yearly improvement has been enough to do it. They are making competitively priced cars with healthy margins.

In other words, just solid business sense and good execution.
AND exceptional leadership, professional attention to detail, keen negotiation, a clear vision to the goal -- plus reckless growth.
Oops, was that the secret recipe?

Yup. Just set the prices, set the date and be done with it. If you say it's going to be 10k more and all of your customers want to wait, great. If they rush to buy the old version, great.

What if it is 6 months out and everybody waits? You just send all the S&X production employees home on a 6 month furlough?

And then you have contracts with your suppliers that you would be in breach of...

StarFoxisDown! said:
They really need to just show their cards and make it clear you'll pay more if you wait for the refresh. The "wait and see" is really stalling demand and the stalling is justified. When people close to me ask about the S/X I try to be honest with them and tell them "There's likely a refresh coming but I'm not sure when, I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it's going to be or if it's going to costs more, etc.." instead of telling them to just go ahead and buy the S/X right now. I feel bad for saying go ahead and buy now when we all know something is coming but have nothing else to go off on except that "it's coming". o_O
Yup. Just set the prices, set the date and be done with it. If you say it's going to be 10k more and all of your customers want to wait, great. If they rush to buy the old version, great.
What if it is 6 months out and everybody waits? You just send all the S&X production employees home on a 6 month furlough?

And then you have contracts with your suppliers that you would be in breach of...
1. Make sure it's not 6 months out.
2. Adjust prices on old and new configs, maybe restructrure fab.
3. If necessary, re-negotiate/renew suppliers, or go more vertical.

DO NOT sit on your hands twiddling thumbs. That would be most uncomfortable.

(Not a business leader)

While no one except for Tesla knows when it's going to happen, I have a very hard time seeing the refresh not happing until Oct. I would think late July or Aug as the latest it would get released. Even if the wait is 3-4 months, by stating the refresh is going to cost more, people can make a informed decision to buy now for the cheaper versions AND get the 3850 tax credit verses waiting and paying more and losing more of the credit.

Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if most people waiting are thinking the refreshed version are only going to cost a couple thousand more than the current versions......and they think it could be any month that it gets announced......so of course they're going to wait......I would wait.....and I am waiting lol.

Announcing now even if it's 3-4 months out also kills any momentum for the competition that could potentially steal any demand from Tesla for a variety of reason(person wants more range or the updated interior or maybe they want to see if there's going to be any body modifications, etc...)

Reactions: KarenRei
It looks like SR+ is just 55kWh.
The problem with adding new capacity is if Panasonic build new cell lines but then soon after manage to ramp up the existing lines to their current 35gWh design capacity, they will then have excess capacity until Y is in mass production - some lines will then have to be idled and profitability will be significantly impacted. Much better to just get the current lines from 24gWh to their 35gWh capacity. But not clear what the bottlenecks are to achieving this.
My bet is that they simply can't hire enough people around Sparks (and this would prevent simply adding more lines from working too), and they're only running 2 shifts or 2 shifts for some lines and 3 for others, etc. There might be enough people, just not enough willing people.

If they haven't already maybe they should start doing job fairs further from Sparks, though I think their tax breaks depend on hiring locals to some extent, so that may be why...

It really depends, but offering incentives on current config or raising price of the new one is how it is normally done.

If they just up and change the ordering option 1 day without telling anyone, that doesn't sit right with me. I'd be pretty pissed if I ordered an X and the next day they let people order the updated version.

If I may quote ValueAnalyst, who no longer posts here:
ValueAnalyst‏ @ValueAnalyst1 4 timför 4 timmar sedan

ValueAnalyst Retweetade Jon Hast

Audi's turd runs into bottlenecks
Is @Audi constipated?
1f4a9.png

It really depends, but offering incentives on current config or raising price of the new one is how it is normally done.

If they just up and change the ordering option 1 day without telling anyone, that doesn't sit right with me. I'd be pretty pissed if I ordered an X and the next day they let people order the updated version.

That's the other thing.....if they don't forecast the update to consumers and announce it the week is starts shipping, there's gonna be some pissed off customers that just bought the old S/X and would have paid more to get the updated ones.

Reactions: Nocturnal
You think Green is behind this? Or "source"?

He started the ball rolling with revealing Raven. And then did the whole Tesla doesn’t want me to say more but there’s more.

Whether that got someone else to dig and then tell Fred or Fred dug it up himself or whathaveyou, I don’t know and it doesn’t matter now as the damage has been done.

Last edited:
Funny how the article also blames the strike in the Hungarian factory where the electric motors are made. That strike lasted January 24-30... I am sure that's to blame for cutting production by 10.000 cars this year. /s

Not sure if Audi is saying this, trying to play down the significance of the battery shortage or just lazy journalists remembering they've heard something about a strike and linking the two stories.

I just hope that model 3 gets CCS compatibility soon : closest supercharger is 565km from my house and 3 of the 4 biggest town in my area have installed public CCS. There is also that my region is separated from the rest of the province from a provincial park and there is one gas station on a 250 km stretch. That gas station is going to be refreshed in the coming years and CCS was mandatory for the promoter of the refresh project.

It won't be hard for me to convinced people ''on the top of the fence'' to jump and go full electric ; the GM dealership in the small town nearby my place is one of the top vendor for Bolts (and pickup). But it would be a paradox to pay for a top brand Tesla car and not be able to fast charge.

I just hope that model 3 gets CCS compatibility soon : closest supercharger is 565km from my house and 3 of the 4 biggest town in my area have installed public CCS. There is also that my region is separated from the rest of the province from a provincial park and there is one gas station on a 250 km stretch. That gas station is going to be refreshed in the coming years and CCS was mandatory for the promoter of the refresh project.

It won't be hard for me to convinced people ''on the top of the fence'' to jump and go full electric ; the GM dealership in the small town nearby my place is one of the top vendor for Bolts (and pickup). But it would be a paradox to pay for a top brand Tesla car and not be able to fast charge.

I personally think Tesla should just make the CCS port standard on all Model 3's not just the EU versions.

More options is always a good thing and surely it would simplify the production line a bit? Someone tweet Elon.

Or at the very least, make it a configurable add on. I'd pay an extra 250$ or so for a CCS port.

Funny how the article also blames the strike in the Hungarian factory where the electric motors are made. That strike lasted January 24-30... I am sure that's to blame for cutting production by 10.000 cars this year. /s

Not sure if Audi is saying this, trying to play down the significance of the battery shortage or just lazy journalists remembering they've heard something about a strike and linking the two stories.
Also, IIRC Audi claimed much higher motor production capacity in Gyor than needed for the e-tron.