Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe a website bug... I cant deselect Auto Pilot

View attachment 397766

You can't, it's standard now, unless you call/go to a Tesla store and ask for the $35k software-restricted SR+ with AP removed, which can still be bought for $35k, with a little extra effort.

I appreciate that Tesla dick about with the pricing a lot, but come on...

Musk will more likely just give his regular line that Tesla is not like other companies and is always improving vehicles as improvements are discovered and able to implement. It will take someone pressing a little harder for detail on something like batteries, model 3 interior, motors etc to push him to the point of semi announcing something, sliding sideways with question, or just saying he is not going to answer the question. The latter would indicate an affirmative to me.

The other possibility that occurs to me is that he could do just the opposite and embrace it.

"Yes - in fact, we are developing a new version of the S and X, it's going to be great. Deliveries will start in three months. But it's going to be significantly more expensive. We'll be opening orders on Friday."

Wherein, they just entirely shut down the reason to "wait and see". For anyone who was in a wait-and-see mode: you either think that the new version is worth the extra money, wherein you put down a deposit and Tesla immediately racks up some cash, or you think it's not worth the extra money, and you go ahead and order that current-model S/X that you'd been holding off on.

The other possibility that occurs to me is that he could do just the opposite and embrace it.

"Yes - in fact, we are developing a new version of the S and X, it's going to be great. Deliveries will start in three months. But it's going to be significantly more expensive. We'll be opening orders on Friday."

Wherein, they just entirely shut down the reason to "wait and see". For anyone who was in a wait-and-see mode: you either think that the new version is worth the extra money, wherein you put down a deposit and Tesla immediately racks up some cash, or you think it's not worth the extra money, and you go ahead and order that current-model S/X that you'd been holding off on.

They really need to just show their cards and make it clear you'll pay more if you wait for the refresh. The "wait and see" is really stalling demand and the stalling is justified. When people close to me ask about the S/X I try to be honest with them and tell them "There's likely a refresh coming but I'm not sure when, I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it's going to be or if it's going to costs more, etc.." instead of telling them to just go ahead and buy the S/X right now. I feel bad for saying go ahead and buy now when we all know something is coming but have nothing else to go off on except that "it's coming". o_O

Beige Book, perhaps.

I used to have a regular guest on my old TV show who was the chief economist for a large commercial bank and was formerly a Federal Reserve economist. He told me that when he was there, the Fed officials did not take the Beige Book too seriously, as it was basically a learning exercise for interns on a rotating basis among the Fed banks. Nevertheless, it gives the media something to talk about, and may trigger some trades.

I used to have a regular guest on my old TV show who was the chief economist for a large commercial bank and was formerly a Federal Reserve economist. He told me that when he was there, the Fed officials did not take the Beige Book too seriously, as it was basically a learning exercise for interns on a rotating basis among the Fed banks. Nevertheless, it gives the media something to talk about.
As in, "Could you give us some color on the Beige Book?"? :p

People that think EV adoption will remain a niche completely discount that there will be any technological breakthroughs in the next 5-10 years to reduce cost, reduce charging time, and increase range. Given how much things have improved in the past decade, that seems like a very bad bet.
There doesn't even have to be any breakthroughs. Tesla has shown that just economies of scale, smart vertigal integration, and the current modest rate of yearly improvement has been enough to do it. They are making competitively priced cars with healthy margins.

In other words, just solid business sense and good execution.

They really need to just show their cards and make it clear you'll pay more if you wait for the refresh. The "wait and see" is really stalling demand and the stalling is justified. When people close to me ask about the S/X I try to be honest with them and tell them "There's likely a refresh coming but I'm not sure when, I'm not sure how much of an upgrade it's going to be or if it's going to costs more, etc.." instead of telling them to just go ahead and buy the S/X right now. I feel bad for saying go ahead and buy now when we all know something is coming but have nothing else to go off on except that "it's coming". o_O
Yup. Just set the prices, set the date and be done with it. If you say it's going to be 10k more and all of your customers want to wait, great. If they rush to buy the old version, great.