Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something from Marketwatch ...

Tesla earnings: The big question is how big is the quarterly loss

Wall Street will likely be "very focused" on quarterly margins, Tesla's quarter-on-quarter cash burn, and the company's ability to reach its 2019 shipment guidance, Nelson said.

Earnings: Analysts at FactSet expect Tesla to report an adjusted loss of 87 cents a share. That would compare with an adjusted loss of $3.35 a share in the first quarter of 2018 and a GAAP and an adjusted per-share profit in the two previous quarters.

Revenue: The analysts surveyed by FactSet are expecting quarterly revenue of $5.5 billion, up from $3.4 billion in the year-ago quarter. The Estimize forecast is for $6.1 billion.​

I am still a bit surprised and puzzled that startup Rivian is including LIDAR:
Rivian R1T and R1S: Top 10 hidden features that make an electric off-road vehicle

The two LIDAR units are reported to be below the front headlights. Seems like a difficult spot to keep clear of debris, which I have read is a problem for LIDAR, and am puzzled how the expense of LIDAR will fit with their business plan and pricing model.
Maybe offroad, there is an advantage with lidar. You don't need to qualify the type of tree, just that it's there and exactly how far away, in slowmo. And pot-hole ID might also be easier, not to mention software dev. Different set of data, I'd rather have a 3d model for trails. It could take decades to "learn" the backroads, and consider this was the tool of choice by the pioneers racing over dirt terrain and unmarked roads. I give them a thumbs up if this is for offroad.

No doubt this is a concern for some people. My question would be, what is the best approach to dealing with it? Spend the money on a bigger, heavier, less efficient, more expensive vehicle...or...spend that money on a denser, faster, charging network that would benefit all owners? The answer for some may very well be the first choice but I don't see it as the best choice for the company. Just my $.02

Dan
The way I see it, when a family goes on a road trip, they go in one car.
That means every family can replace 1 of their 2 cars with a 300mi EV right now without sacrificing anything.
If everybody did it, it would provide enough capital to Tesla to expand and R&D to the point where in 4-5 years including MXWL they can make a 400-500mi vehicle with a denser energy and the same battery weight.
It would then be nice if we had an option to replace the old battery with a new 500mi battery for some $5-7k as Elon suggested.
But given the current low production volume and even greater shortages of batteries when the transition from ICE starts, this may not be an easy option - they'll be selling all they have as fast as they can. More profit to sell a new car than a battery w/o the car.
I'm a bit uneasy about 280mi range for Y, but will make it with the 3 and a backup ICE we'll be keeping for a bit.

How many Teslas do you think are on the latest ship? Here's one calculation.

The draft of the ship increased by 1.3 meters

1.3 meters = 4.27 feet

Length and beam of the ship is 199.94 x 32.26 meters

199.94 x 32.26=6449 sq. meters

6449 sq. meters= 69,416 sq. ft.

Increase in displacement

69,416 sq ft x4.27 ft = 296,406 cu ft

water weights 62.4 lb/cu ft

296,406 cu ft x 62.4 lb/cu ft = 18,495,734 lb

I we assume that at area of the ship at the water line is only 90% of the overall dimension to allow for some slope at the bow and stern then the increased displacement becomes (SWAG):

18,495,734 lb x 90%= 16,646,160 lb increased displacement

If the average weight of M3 is 3900 lb

16,646,160 lb/3900 lb per vehicle = 4268 vehicles

Possible errors/poor assumptions:

• Area of ship at waterline vs overall dimensions at 90%
  • Weight of vehicles and mix of vehicles
  • Other items loaded than Teslas
  • Rounding errors. I should have used a piece of paper.
  • I used the density of fresh water instead of salt water but the difference should not be significant considering the other assumptions made.

Here's a starting point for the discussion. I welcome any gentle comments/corrections. It would be great if this were anywhere close to being correct.

What prevents the 2170 battery chemistry from being used in the 18650 cans? Those are just little bottles, what's inside can (and is) changed any time. What am I missing here?
Panasonic makes the 18650 cans in Japan apparently in sufficient quantities for ~ 100,000 S & X so, why not continue, just fill the bottle with the new sauce.

1.3 meters = 4.27 feet

Increase in displacement

I we assume that at area of the ship at the water line is only 90% of the overall dimension to allow for some slope at the bow and stern then the increased displacement becomes (SWAG):

• I used the density of fresh water instead of salt water but the difference should not be significant considering the other assumptions made.

Here's a starting point for the discussion. I welcome any gentle comments/corrections. It would be great if this were anywhere close to being correct.

Ships of all different sizes sailed in prior quarter too :(
Assume it is 2.5K as that seems to be the number for all of last quarter. If they are any production improvements I would go by 3K.

If Elon's looking to squeeze the shorts, he's gonna wait until the last hour of trading or after hours to disclose agreement/settlement with SEC.

I guess the investment community has zero faith in Tesla FSD. Pretty amazing that there's no buying pressure considering Tesla market cap and the valuation of Waymo(and Lyft/Uber to an extent).

1.3 meters = 4.27 feet

Increase in displacement

There's always that one 8n every crowd that has to overthink everything. lol!

Dan

• Love
Reactions: Krugerrand
That's what I hear from Tesla owner. It's just that non-owner don't know and are misinformed. Having a product that works great (and few very happy customers) isn't enough. Other people need to experience it somehow or have others told them repeatedly that their fear is unjustified.
Yup. I'm sure people who owned horses said the same about early gas cars. "But my horse can just stop and eat grass wherever! Why would I drive something that needs gas? what if I can't find a gas station?"

How many Teslas do you think are on the latest ship? Here's one calculation....

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense and is a great way to estimate. Here are just a few initial thoughts :

-Seawater has a density of approximately 64 lbs/CF.
-You would want to know if they also took on bunkers while in port. I'm not familiar with the port to know if this is typical there
-Ships can and will make draft adjustments by filling/draining ballast tanks. This is typically just to level the ship, but could be another source of error.

If Elon's looking to squeeze the shorts, he's gonna wait until the last hour of trading or after hours to disclose agreement/settlement with SEC.

I guess the investment community has zero faith in Tesla FSD. Pretty amazing that there's no buying pressure considering Tesla market cap and the valuation of Waymo(and Lyft/Uber to an extent).
It is definitely bizarre. I can't understand how they think that Waymo could scale their FSD up faster than Tesla can. Millions of FSD capable cars on the road by the time Waymo starts rolling cars out.

Bingo, and the roof ain’t goin on till right after the machine is craned in.

Fire Away!

Not how they do it. The press line will come in pieces. They didn’t rip the roof off the Fremont plant to put in the new press lines there. The roof will go on, it’s a wall they won’t finish closing and/or big bay doors.

Outside of California, are waits even that common? Here in the Midwest I've NEVER had to wait for a supercharger spot. 90% of the time I'm the only guy there.

In 30-40 superchager enabled trips, I've only once had to wait. And that was on a workday at 4:30pm, in a mettropolitan area.

YMMV