Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This part

"The first production line will be at Giga Texas. Giga Mexico will be the second place. It would take too long to complete the factory in Mexico."

openly says that the Model (2) will be produced sooner than originally planned.
That's a good thing, right?
We're talking about production at least a year earlier, potentially Q4 2024, I am thinking.
This is super important, and prior to this on all conference calls etc the model 2 was 'in development' and not much was said. Now they are making the production line??!! What happened to pencils down, design finalized, testing, etc? This is hugely bullish and volume low cost model with availability of FSD software as well. Remember when it was said that the car itself is immaterial and the FSD software will be the product, which sounds like a pivot shift, such as apple did with products and now is a service. A small form factor car is much more useful for the whole world where economy and practicality are valued higher.

Supply chain as a reason for cyber truck delay could mean anything. Hard to say unless Elon elaborates, but my guess would be the 4680 battery ramp is likely a big part of it.
I think there is more range to be had in the higher trim models, wasn't there a rumor on a quad motor unit? Also adding the third motor and presumably larger battery increased range a little bit, but past experience with the model s and x is that there is incremental range improvements that come over time, and soon the range is much greater. Maybe they need real world data to tune the draw, power curve, current, etc from the cybertruck in daily use.

Reactions: navguy12
Supply chain as a reason for cyber truck delay could mean anything. Hard to say unless Elon elaborates, but my guess would be the 4680 battery ramp is likely a big part of it.
Biggest CyberTruck delay was factory to build it. Not to mention the new manufacturing processes needed to build it. Honestly it is why none of us should have ever believed the initial timeframe for production. What were we thinking? There was no place to build the thing.

From what was revealed in Walter Isaacson's book, it sounds like Elon loved the looks of the Gen 3 and thought it was futuristic.

But from what Elon revealed today, he thinks the coolest part is the manufacturing process.

Will they be spitting out a Gen 3 every 15 seconds? Maybe. Don't bet against Elon.
There's no point having a really high volume production line unless you can sell the cars, and to sell the cars, they need to hit a particular low price target. So my further prediction about Model 2 is that it'll come in ONE drivetrain (only one motor) and ONE battery pack size (250 miles). Consequently it will have ONE price (except for paint/wheel options, etc), meaning there won't be a high trim, more expensive model sold first.

I think there is more range to be had in the higher trim models, wasn't there a rumor on a quad motor unit? Also adding the third motor and presumably larger battery increased range a little bit, but past experience with the model s and x is that there is incremental range improvements that come over time, and soon the range is much greater. Maybe they need real world data to tune the draw, power curve, current, etc from the cybertruck in daily use.

There is definitely more tuning coming. On one of the videos, they said that the rear wheels will turn significantly more than they currently do after a software update once they tune it.

From what was revealed in Walter Isaacson's book, it sounds like Elon loved the looks of the Gen 3 and thought it was futuristic.

But from what Elon revealed today, he thinks the coolest part is the manufacturing process.

Will they be spitting out a Gen 3 every 15 seconds? Maybe. Don't bet against Elon sandbagging.
FTFY 😏

Looks like a date was set in Denmark for 3F Union to also block Tesla shipments. (I'm assuming they mean Trains). They can still drive them in on car carriers right? Would Norway also be impacted then?

Edit: Adding Map.

On Tuesday, 3F, Denmark's largest union, said that its transport workers will launch a strike in solidarity with Tesla workers in Sweden if the company does not reach a collective wage agreement with them by December 18.
Danish port workers have vowed to neither unload nor load Tesla vehicles and drivers will not receive and transport Tesla cars going through Denmark.
Hopefully the bridge toll both operators aren’t also unionized 🤣

Reactions: SOULPEDL
There's no point having a really high volume production line unless you can sell the cars, and to sell the cars, they need to hit a particular low price target. So my further prediction about Model 2 is that it'll come in ONE drivetrain (only one motor) and ONE battery pack size (250 miles). Consequently it will have ONE price (except for paint/wheel options, etc), meaning there won't be a high trim, more expensive model sold first.
I'm still curious if people think they will unveil the "Model 2" as a surprise CT-stainless steel type body, rather than the traditional 3/Y type body. Is that possible cost-wise? Production speed-wise? Seems unlikely to me, but as they have been so good at keeping this new production line under wraps, I would be pleasantly shocked. That decision would draw some headlines, I would think.

I know some people here aren't big fans of Gary Black, but he claims to know what's going on behind the scenes on Wall St

He’s sensing nothing of the kind. It’s probably just time to make money on the upside for a week. Then it’ll be time to make money on the downside and then we’ll call it window dressing for the year. Rinse and repeat. Go ahead, save this tweet. He’ll say something opposite, probably right after ER and then he’ll pull this tweet back out after that at some point. Mark my words.

He’s sensing nothing of the kind. It’s probably just time to make money on the upside for a week. Then it’ll be time to make money on the downside and then we’ll call it window dressing for the year. Rinse and repeat. Go ahead, save this tweet. He’ll say something opposite, probably right after ER and then he’ll pull this tweet back out after that at some point. Mark my words.

But, aren't you asking that we mark his words? ;)

This is all so confusing...

I'm still curious if people think they will unveil the "Model 2" as a surprise CT-stainless steel type body, rather than the traditional 3/Y type body. Is that possible cost-wise? Production speed-wise? Seems unlikely to me, but as they have been so good at keeping this new production line under wraps, I would be pleasantly shocked. That decision would draw some headlines, I would think.

Seems astoundingly unlikely? Even ignoring weight and MFG complexity telling someone buying a 25k car "Now you need to spend 5k+ for a wrap if you want any color but SS" seems a non-starter?

I am curious tho....if the reason the glass broke 4 years ago was because "the hammer weakened the glass"....what was the reason not to repeat the demonstration since no hammers were used in last week's demonstration? Is it possible that "the hammer weakened the glass" isn't the whole story?