Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Paragraphs 1 and 2 kinda contradict each other though.

A 25k car would help the race, and mission, vastly more than slight cuts on 35-45k cars.

We went over the obsbourning thing a couple weeks ago. Consider the impact based on the types of buyers that exist that would consider an EV at all.

For people who need a car NOW, there's no osbourning of anybody. They'll either buy a 3/Y now if they can afford it--- or they will buy a cheaper vehicle if they can't. The fact a cheaper vehicle is coming "someday" does not help them regardless of if someday is 2025 or 2026 or 2027.

For people who CAN wait a year or more, there COULD be osbourning. But there's at least two groups here. Let's consider them!

Group 1: They need at least a 3/Y anyway- because they need 5 seats plus some cargo space. These folks are buying a 3/Y anyway, so no worries EXCEPT that continued price cuts are likely to condition them to wait as long as possible. It'll only get cheaper! Whereas if a new model was known to be coming they might not be slashing the 3/Y so much as it approached and maybe they shouldn't wait. Waiting is bad for Tesla in this group. (TBC- I think the impact either way here is minor, but what minor there is points in favor of making it clear the smaller/cheaper car is on the way by next year)

Group 2: They would be ok with a smaller cheaper car.... and currently Tesla doesn't sell one. So if Tesla has no such vehicle announced they can either--- try and stretch for a 3/Y (good for Tesla) OR.... buy a cheaper non-Tesla. We know for a fact more people do that second one today simply by adding up sales of Tesla 3/Y versus the "cheaper non-Tesla" options. Yes the Y outsells any INDIVIDAL one, but not put together. In other words, nothing announced- MORE people will keep buying cheap other cars than will "stretch to manage a 3/Y". ON THE OTHER HAND... if Tesla DID announce a cheaper next-gen car.... a LOT of those "non tesla cheap car" buyers might WAIT to buy the cheap Tesla instead of a cheap non-Tesla. And again that group of people, even just a fraction of that group, is much larger than ALL 3/Y buyers. By a lot.

So I think the idea of "Tesla shouldn't say anything about a cheap consumer car at all" Osborne concerns go exactly the wrong direction unless such a car is a long way off.

Which is bad for its own, maybe we do NOT get robotaxis this year or next, reasons.
Group 3: People who want a Tesla to try but doesn't need a Tesla. I feel like this group is pretty much everyone besides die hard fanatics. People who needs a car ASAP due to them missing work or etc would op for the safer option which is an ICE car. People want certainty and ICE provides them with such comfort. Because EVs has many new caveats with them, people who ends up looking for one are the curious ones and require months of preparation (mentally, as in talking themselves into one and becoming excited for one). The curious ones who has this as a WANT most likely wants to wait for the next best thing. The Model 2 could potentially be better than the Model 3(because it's more forward thinking, who knows) and will be 30% cheaper.

Reactions: MD70 and AZRI11
Yes at the right time it would..

Building factories to make new models isn't cheap or instant...

Which is why having already delayed getting started on any new factories for >13 months since announcing a location is less than ideal and suggests unexpected problems have gotten in the way.

It is good to "get the house in order" before embarking on a major expansion, that means all of the existing production capacity fully built out, fully ramped, and profitable.

For 3/Y it looks like we were already there last year at this point.

CT is ramping, but shouldn't be a factor at all in a next-gen vehicle you expect to sell 10-20 TIMES as many of.
(and Semi/Roadster even more of a non-factor in this)

Edit- I see you also talk 4680 ramp below rather than specific vehicles- so I'll address that below as well

I now think all new factories may build Robotaxis as their first vehicle, that could be the current plan, subject to FSD working well enough.

Subject to is doing a lot of work in that sentence.

Remember, RTs were supposed to be on the road "for sure" in 2020.

Cybertruck was clearly seen as the right vehicle to launch high volume 4680 production. Yes, a cheaper model might have been possible, but how would the 4680 production ramp have impacted on margins for that new vehicle? Cybertruck targets a high margin section of the US market, and a vehicle segment that produces a lot of emissions.

Model Y with structural pack was the right vehicle to ramp 4680 with.

It already existed without needing a bunch of new expensive MFG methods.... and would have freed 2170s for Model 3 to keep the tax credit

In fact we've already discussed the lack of M3 credit in 2024, the unexpectedly slow ramp and killing off (so far) of the 4680 Model Y seems to be significant evidence that was the original plan and it was forced to change due to how slow 4680 was ramping.

CT is what we've got now instead for it with Y back to all 2170s... and hopes that they'll start to have spare capacity beyond CT by late in this year if no further issues come up.

The next-gen car was supposed to be LFP.

Which isn't 4680.

Doesn't anyone remember the battery day chart on this?

batday.jpg

The next-gen car is in the upper left there... under iron based. Which 4680 is not.

You seem to have misunderstood something: This chart was not put together by somebody on this board, or even by a pro-Tesla source. This chart is also not supposed to be a comparison of EV's for "any real EV shopper" as you say.

This chart was put together as part of a study and analysis that was completed and reported on by Consumer Reports, and the titles that Consumer Reports used make it 100% clear what this report is supposed to show -- it is obvious that they mean only to offer one aspect of general cost info for general car buyers.

"Four of the Five Least Expensive Car Brands to Maintain Are American​

Tesla costs the least; German brands the most, in CR’s exclusive analysis"

Based on their choice on how to publish, it might also be that Consumer Reports believes that for most car shoppers, EV's compete against all other cars, including ICE cars, and not only against each other. Thus, Consumer Reports made the decision to provide this "brand vs. brand" comparison.

Perhaps Consumer Reports has more granular data that would allow them break out EV vs. ICE in each brand, or truck vs. sedan, etc. Or, maybe they don't. Either way, that wasn't their purpose here. If and when Consumer Reports puts together a comparison of the costs of EV's specifically, I'm sure somebody will post it here.

In the meantime, it seems like your complaint should be with Consumer Reports? Telling us why you don't like their report is similar to that time I went to the Complaint Department and told them "I wish I was taller" -- we have nothing to with the problem you're describing, and we can't do anything about it.

View attachment 1040811

I agree with you that this is a meaningless report blamed on CR's part then. EVs simply have lower maintenance. It's a well known fact and a given. I don't find it (the chart posted) of much value for any EV shopper personally as every EV has nearly no maintenance.

Last edited:
Which is why having already delayed getting started on any new factories for >13 months since announcing a location is less than ideal and suggests unexpected problems have gotten in the way.

CT is ramping, but shouldn't be a factor at all in a next-gen vehicle you expect to sell 10-20 TIMES as many of.

Edit- I see you also talk 4680 ramp below rather than specific vehicles- so I'll address that below as well

It already existed without needing a bunch of new expensive MFG methods.... and would have freed 2170s for Model 3 to keep the tax credit

In fact we've already discussed the lack of M3 credit in 2024, the unexpectedly slow ramp and killing off (so far) of the 4680 Model Y seems to be significant evidence that was the original plan and it was forced to change due to how slow 4680 was ramping.

CT is what we've got now instead for it with Y back to all 2170s... and hopes that they'll start to have spare capacity beyond CT by late in this year if no further issues come up.

Which isn't 4680.

View attachment 1040822

The next-gen car is in the upper left there... under iron based. Which 4680 is not.
Oh I do, I remember and I raised cautions and ....was shouted down. Oh well.

$TSLA stock 15m chart looks very consistant, almost programmed.

View attachment 1040809
Because its action is programmed especially in times like this. Nothing's new from WS corruption, all the same sugar.
Yet, some folks here, have been trying to rationalize this like WS were a normal and fair stock exchange.

I think I remember your predictions from around then. You had some detailed spreadsheets from industry sources IIRC, and indeed were right - Tesla's 4680 rollout / ramp / development has been slower than many of us hoped. Other more experienced battery makers are rolling out that same form factor now, for what it is worth, as has been noted here. I for one would like to hear your take on whether those will help, hurt, or even be used by Tesla, given the product/battery choices Tesla has made lately with the 3, Y, and CT.
It is hard for me to judge from all the headlines, but with CATL and BYD both saying (almost committing to!) a 50% drop in battery prices this year, and other stories talking about a coming glut of batteries, and the significant drop in lithium and other raw materials costs... do you think that (a glut) is what is happening (at least with other form factors like 2170?) Are we looking at a very near future of Tesla being neither battery constrained nor compute constrained?
And if Tesla has neither of those constraints, what does the Tesla future in a 5-year timeframe look like? (Question not just to @nativewolf but everyone here)
Things with Tesla are hard to discern, earning call may or may not help. It was clear that the Y was supposed to have a structural battery pack and scale to huge volumes in EU and Austin. Didn't happen. IRA was unexpected and Tesla was left in the lurch with a very uncompetitive M3 product and all the 4680 going into the CT. I truly think the 4680 capacity was supposed to also go into the Semi to boot over time. It is a flop though constant engineering may one day yield some of those promised advantages.

The CT is a neat vehicle but is more likely to be embraced by a certain political leaning that EM has alienated. Traditional pickup truck drivers are, for the most part, not buying CTs and it remains to be seen if they ever will but early days, fingers crossed. Nobody will be battery constrained in 2 years. You may be confusing me with @petit_bateau who did a very detailed sheet a year or two ago. He added specificity to my concerns and looked more broadly at the amazing breadth of battery capacity being developed here in the USA. My concerns were around the drastically slow ramp. That 4 months after "production" it was clear that "production" meant sampling. A year later and it was hardly better.

The key issue for Tesla is getting IRA certified battery capacity for every car made in the USA and enough so that the Semi line can ramp.

The compute question seems easier to solve but I caution everyone that the massive compute resources dedicated to FSD is terrible for the environment. Just so we all know it.

Last edited:

Which isn't 4680.

View attachment 1040822

Well the facts are that they are building the Robotaxi first, and there is a reasonable chance it uses high nickel 4680 cells.

The Gen3 drivetrain is supposed to be chemistry agnostic.

We may or may not get information on the earnings call, or at the Robotaxi reveal.

All of the posters here who clearly know more than Elon and Tesla are wasting time posting here, when they should all be banding together and starting their own car company :)

Because its action is programmed especially in times like this. Nothing's new from WS corruption, all the same sugar.
Yet, some folks here, have been trying to rationalize this like WS were a normal and fair stock exchange.

Stock goes up = that's the free market, baby!
Stock goes down = WS corruption!

Did I do that right?

Let's be honest. Tesla is no longer a nimble company. The product lineup has become stale. They treat their customers more like a nuisance than human. Deadlines have come and gone (Roadster, Semi, 4680) with no real solid roadmap. No Tesla insurance after 5 years. Solar Roof is a business failure (I have one and like it, but it is cost prohibitive in most cases). Model 3 isn't eligible for the $7500 rebate. Tesla's biggest competition is the used Tesla market.

Service is terrible and the layoffs made things ten times worse. My local store laid off their only Sales Manager (wtf?) and I cant get any idea on when my Cybertruck will be ready for delivery, even though it is sitting in the lot since the 15th. First they said it needs a rivet and that they have the jig, then they come back and say that they aren't doing the rivet anymore and are waiting for new pedals... I have a buyer for my Model X flying in from out of state and don't know what to tell him. I'm about to be without a car. Tesla doesn't care though.

Stock is going under 100 after tomorrow's disastrous ER and conference call, in my opinion. The only thing Tesla has going for them is software and product. Miles ahead of everyone. That wont be enough to grow market share.

I agree with you that this is a meaningless report blamed on CR's part then. EVs simply have lower maintenance. It's a well known fact and a given. I don't find it (the chart posted) of much value for any EV shopper personally as every EV has nearly no maintenance.

A non-investor and a comedian too!
Playing on the irony of interpreting a report written for general auto shoppers as if it is only aimed at EV shoppers. Comedy genius!

We are so lucky to have such a funny troll on the forum. Most of them are so dull.

Sunworrier, you take the cake!

Last edited:
You know what they say about statistics right? I just don't think that chart is a fair comparison with other EVs and since Tesla makes no gas cars, it's almost a meaningless report. Again, I own an EV and am pro-EV, but this type of report is meaningless I believe for any real EV shopper.

This is like if I posted a graph of what manufacturer has the best gas mileage and Tesla/Rivian wins because they make no gas cars and use 0.
Interesting comment you've got there.

As regards Consumers' Reports: Yeah, I've been a subscriber, for decades. And, for the purposes of this reply, I'm going to separate CU's reportage into two pieces:
  1. Reports and such that depend upon individual persons' evaluations.
  2. Reports and such that are based upon actual measurements.
With the first, CU has been known to express what is sometimes termed, "Editorial discretion". We have freedom of speech in this country which, essentially means, that if you have an honest opinion, you can express that opinion. So long as you're not making up stuff with malicious intent, the courts have ruled that you can say what you like. It's for everybody, not just magazines and reporters.

So, if some CU evaluator of speaker systems, listening to the operation of said speakers, and says that, "The audio appears to wander around" gets sued by the speaker manufacturer for Not Saying Nice Things about their product, CU goes to the mat in court and gets, invariably, gets said lawsuit tossed. Many have tried to sue or intimidate CU for what they've said in this regard; invariably, they have all lost.

Now, this doesn't mean that CU doesn't get things wrong, at least in my opinion. There was this one time, early on with FSD-Beta, where a CU evaluator was strongly recommending against anybody using the software; the guy was literally shaking when he made these pronouncements. Given that the Beta was a Beta and had that serious warning about Doing the Wrong Thing at the Worst Time in the release notes, I fully understand where the CU evaluator was coming from.

And there was that infamous time back in the 1960's when CU declared that putting automotive light switches on a stalk, rather than on the dash (with the floor mounted dimmer switch, natch) was a Horrible. They eventually did change their minds on that one.

Speaking to the second: If There's One Thing That CU Gets Absolutely, Positively Right, It's Statistics and Data. Yeah, there's Disraeli and his comment about, "Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics". Which makes for a good chuckle. And, no question, liars will often bury their claims in statistics that, when opened up, don't withstand the light of day. But, as a working engineer I can tell you that statistics with its ANOVAs, correlation functions, and all that jazz is how one takes sometimes hard-to-work-out noisy data and uses that data to figure out How The World Works. CU never lies about this stuff or tries to spin it: They tell it as they see it.

And there's obvious reasons why. On straight results, if CU gets sued, having hard, solid, replicable data defuses lawsuits. An example: The Suzuki Roll-Over debacle. For those who don't remember, CU had reports from the field that the relatively new for the time small SUVs were getting involved in accidents where they'd react badly to swerves on the highway. So, they started testing. And the Suzuki of the day, a narrow, high vehicle, had an alarming tendency to raise wheels off the ground during the tests; so much so, CU bolted outriggers onto the rear of the SUV to keep it from going over, and continued testing. The car got a Don't Use Under Any Circumstances; Suzuki sued. It took a couple of years of Suzuki trying to bankrupt an American Publisher, but Suzuki lost that one.

Basically: If CU says they have data from questionnaires in statistically significant numbers reporting on how much it costs to keep vehicles running, you can bet your bottom dollar that their numbers are straight. And aren't one of the Disraeli class.

Finally: There have been complaints around here that CU's reliability numbers for Teslas haven't been as shiny as posters here think they should be. That's mainly because of the old, but consistent adage: Never buy a vehicle during its first model year. I had a 2018 M3 until last year: I can report that lots of interesting things went wrong with that car, mostly covered by warranty, some of which weren't. When the first couple of CU annual auto issues showed up with Teslas in them, people complained loudly around here that CU must have been doing something wrong. I don't think so: It was Just The Data, All The Time.

Clearly, CU's latest report indicates that, reliability issues or not, the Total Cost of maintenance for Tesla's cars are lower than everybody else's is, and broken out by years 1-5 and 6-10, even. I expect that every year this chart comes out Tesla's numbers will get even better, as the older, less-well-designed cars fall off the chart.

Fun.

Last edited:
Let's be honest. Tesla is no longer a nimble company. The product lineup has become stale. They treat their customers more like a nuisance than human. Deadlines have come and gone (Roadster, Semi, 4680) with no real solid roadmap. No Tesla insurance after 5 years. Solar Roof is a business failure (I have one and like it, but it is cost prohibitive in most cases). Model 3 isn't eligible for the $7500 rebate. Tesla's biggest competition is the used Tesla market.

Service is terrible and the layoffs made things ten times worse. My local store laid off their only Sales Manager (wtf?) and I cant get any idea on when my Cybertruck will be ready for delivery, even though it is sitting in the lot since the 15th. First they said it needs a rivet and that they have the jig, then they come back and say that they aren't doing the rivet anymore and are waiting for new pedals... I have a buyer for my Model X flying in from out of state and don't know what to tell him. I'm about to be without a car. Tesla doesn't care though.

Stock is going under 100 after tomorrow's disastrous ER and conference call, in my opinion. The only thing Tesla has going for them is software and product. Miles ahead of everyone. That wont be enough to grow market share.
Sounds like your stock portfolio is down. I get it. Rent a Tesla from Hertz until your CT is ready.

LoL, this is master level troll post. I guess products are not enough to grow marketshare, you need pixie dust and wishes? Thoughts and prayers? I'm having a hard time figuring out what other than products can take marketshare.

Yes, it's a very good L2 system.

You'll need more than that to justify even the current market cap, let alone the ATH one.

They're certainly aiming to achieve more, but have not yet, and are many years behind their targets on doing so.

So someone being dubious of them getting there in the timeframes most folks value stocks is not an unreasonable stance on the topic.

This is a surprising misunderstanding of how most people fuel an EV.

Which is at home- not a DC fast charging station.

Certainly they own by far the best DCFC network in the US (their dominance OUTSIDE the US is not nearly as large)-- and that will be a profit center long term... but again not one that justifies a massively larger market cap than they've already had.

That'd be a very important point in considering the future value of Tesla versus, say, Ford.

But at HALF their current market cap Tesla would still have a much higher real P/E than Ford does so not sure how this disproves his valuation?

They do move real volume in China. So do some Chinese companies (and increasingly so overall).

No, they actually do not. Not even close to #1.

#16 among engineering students worldwide in 2023, up from #26 in 2022.

Possibly you are thinking of the much narrower US-students-only data the same company provides?

Tesla wasn't #1 there either-- they were #2.

But then Boeing is #5 so I'm not sure how much of the stocks price should be built into scoring well there :)

BTW I saw you also doing the "DO YOU EVEN FSD DUDE?" thing earlier. Your sig says you're in the UK, where AFAIK FSD isn't available.... so that's a...weird tact to take?

Are you just basing your investment timelines and ideas on watching youtube videos from Omar or something?
FSD is not just a "good L2 system". There are no other systems like it. Suggesting that it's a L2 system of comparison tells me there are better or worst FSD like products out there which doesn't exist.

LoL, this is master level troll post. I guess products are not enough to grow marketshare, you need pixie dust and wishes? Thoughts and prayers? I'm having a hard time figuring out what other than products can take marketshare.
I think Anthony is experiencing genuine frustration with his Cybertruck delivery..

It is venting, not trolling.

Why not offer counterpoints?

Some of the things you said were factually incorrect. Wouldn't you do the same if someone did the opposite?

I get some here are all-in, but there's a grey area between the super optimistic and the pessimistic. The reality falls in the middle.

I'm very pessimistic about TSLA in the short term, but I'm super optimistic about TSLA in the long term.

I wonder where I fit in here....🤔

Yes at the right time it would..

Building factories to make new models isn't cheap or instant...

It is good to "get the house in order" before embarking on a major expansion, that means all of the existing production capacity fully built out, fully ramped, and profitable.

I now think all new factories may build Robotaxis as their first vehicle, that could be the current plan, subject to FSD working well enough.

Cybertruck was clearly seen as the right vehicle to launch high volume 4680 production. Yes, a cheaper model might have been possible, but how would the 4680 production ramp have impacted on margins for that new vehicle? Cybertruck targets a high margin section of the US market, and a vehicle segment that produces a lot of emissions.

By the time Tesla starts producing Robotaxis, the 4680 ramp should be more advanced.
I don't think CT helps mission right now, these are trophy cars for almost all users. They have other cars and usually an EV. We need 10 million more EVs a year. Each CT is going to eat cell production for I guess 4 25k cars. The 25k cars should take ICE off the road.

I don't think CT helps mission right now, these are trophy cars for almost all users. They have other cars and usually an EV. We need 10 million more EVs a year. Each CT is going to eat cell production for I guess 4 25k cars. The 25k cars should take ICE off the road.
Even if you are right, it is too late to change the plan now.

The fact that the 25K car is delayed for so long doesn't surprise me, for it to be profitable, all of the ducks need to line up,

Without the Gen3 unboxed process and batteries at the right price, it is a very hard slog.

If they made the 25K car and lost money on every vehicle sold, investors would rightly be complaining.