Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting little piece on retail holdings:

EDIT: Would take this article with a grain of salt though, given the appearance of “Direxion semis 3X long” ETF being at 0.7% average weighting. Anyone else even hear of that? Is that popular with the Reddit WSB apes crowd perhaps?

1716680393760.png

Last edited:
No idea why you can’t see it on his X feed - here it is, still up right now:

View attachment 1050584

Thanks. I do recall him posting that like a week earlier, I wonder he deleted it back then and then reposted it now. Maybe previously he wanted to make sure that it's a verified source first so deleted it, and then reposted it after verifying the source? I don't know.

Thanks again for providing the link to the tweet! This is obviously very important short term news, and is definitely something here that many investors might want to account for.

Reactions: hobbes and Thekiwi
Interesting little piece on retail holdings:

EDIT: Would take this article with a grain of salt though, given the appearance of “Direxion semis 3X long” ETF being at 0.7% average weighting. Anyone else even hear of that? Is that popular with the Reddit WSB apes crowd perhaps?

View attachment 1050614

Direxion creates a lot of leveraged ETFs both on the short and long side. No idea what that specific one is for, but considering the leveraged nature of Direxion's ETFs, it kinda seems like something that would cater well to the wsb crowd.

He actually seems to have an X account (Googled the YouTube username), and his interactions there are a bit weird.

First, when being accused of faking it, his first response is "How do you know?" instead of something like "I'm an employee, it's real."

And then he seems to say the nag is still there, despite the fact that we saw it go away without touching the wheel:

So I am wondering now if something like this could be faked with S3XY buttons to dismiss the nags (like Omar does). He could have also faked the software screen by displaying a full-screen image in the web browser or something.

He also refused to post the release notes, which would have been harder to fake as they would have involved scrolling the screen:

I agree, his interactions have been kind of weird. In the comments on his youtube channel, he stated that he is 'not currently a Tesla employee', so I'm wondering if potentially he was part of the layoffs and/or left recently due to other reasons, and Tesla hadn't yet relinquished his early access to FSD.

1716682696964.png

Thanks. I do recall him posting that like a week earlier, I wonder he deleted it back then and then reposted it now. Maybe previously he wanted to make sure that it's a verified source first so deleted it, and then reposted it after verifying the source? I don't know.

Thanks again for providing the link to the tweet! This is obviously very important short term news, and is definitely something here that many investors might want to account for.

This might be a good cashflow move, in that the export markets Shanghai serves have plenty of Y inventory, so this quarter might see that drawn down and less stock shipped to replenish, meaning deliveries in those markets should exceed production from Shanghai to those markets, improving the cashflow situation for Q2.

Also wondering if there is a chance the rumored model Y juniper refresh might be on the cards for next quarter in Shanghai, which would also be a reason to draw down inventory, but that is just pure speculation on my part.

Video game is a $400B industry and NVDA is the godfather of it all. Has been for over 15 years. Every little boy's dream is to get his hand on a RTX 4090.

Maybe little boy's that don't pay the electric bill. That's a 450W card. I won't buy anything over 150W if I'm given a choice with enough ram.

Right now the supply forces me to look in the sub 200W range if I want the ram but at least with modern cards you can power limit them in software so I can buy a 170W or 190W card and limit it to a max around 150W.

It's nice that a modern 450W card at least supports fans stopping at idle, but I keep my case fans slow enough that a fast CPU or GPU fan would be highly noticeable when it isn't at idle.

SPCR (Silent PC Review) for life.

I won't go back a to a noisy/hot PC just like I won't go back to a gas car.

OK, here si one specific rule change:
"Rule 23 - Class Actions (a) Prerequisites. One or more members of a class may sue or be sued as representative parties on behalf of all members only if: (1) the class is so numerous that joinder of all members is impracticable; (2) there are questions of law or fact common to the class.."

In what way, specifically, is that "activist" or "political" against Elon or Tesla?

I ask because in looking up the change I not only see no such thing- I see it's primarily just clarifications to bring the existing state rules in alignment with Federal rules of Civil Procedure so that authorities interpreting the federal rule could be cited more easily as persuasive authority for the interpretation of Rule 23.

What, exactly, is "activist" about that?

Or did you just google "changes at the chancery" and repost whatever it spit out without checking if it's a substantive or activist change in actual fact?

Here's a breakdown from a law firm discussing these changes-- please point to which parts, specifically, are "activist" or anti-Tesla please?

In 2023, Rule 23 was revised to align its language in certain respects with Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 23 so that authorities interpreting the federal rule could be cited more easily as persuasive authority for the interpretation of Rule 23.

Except as noted, no substantive change in the interpretation of the rule was intended, and prior Delaware authorities interpreting the rule remain applicable. In particular, the revision deletes the last sentence of prior Rule 23(aa) as unnecessary and replaces the term "compromise" in prior Rule 23(f) with "settlement." No substantive change in interpretation was intended.

The revision makes the following changes to conform Rule 23 more closely to Federal Rule 23 and current practice:

The revision removes the requirement to certify a class "[a]s soon as practicable" as inconsistent with current practice. Consistent with the 2003 amendments to the federal rule, the revision does not provide for "conditional" certification orders.

Rule 23(d) addresses practice regarding class counsel; it is new and modeled on current practice.

Rule 23(f) addresses practice regarding dismissal and settlement; it is mostly new and modeled on the federal rule and current practice. Rules 23(f)(1), 23(f)(2)(A), and 23(f)(3)(A) are carryovers from the prior rule.

Rule 23(g) addresses attorney's fees; it is new and modeled on the federal rule and current practice.

Where's the activism exactly?

Is it in the room with us now?

I'm sad to have so offended you.

People making allegedly factual claims they're then unable to in any way support should offend everyone.

Nearly all the changes in question originate with recent revisions in Delaware Chancery Court procedures. One specific change is the source of most dismay among those Delaware-incorporated companies I know about:

Citation of "dismay" requested. Ideally from actual lawyers.

Since again they're mostly just aligning the delaware court with existing rules of civil procedure.

Further- the date on those rules YOU just linked to is months after the Elon compensation case was filed/certified so how is it "activist" let alone "relevant?"?

The new Chancery Court Chancellor in 2021 has been notable for changes in court practices regarding Rule 23 and also regarding caution-related issues. Her wiki only discusses the most disputed cases:

This link contains 0 mentions of Rule 23.

There's only 3 "notable" cases cited at all... two of which had nothing to do at all with class actions--- just cases requiring a company to honor the merger contract they signed (one being the twitter case-- where again the judge never ruled on the case at all since Elon knew he had no real chance to win that in any court and went through with his obligation in the end out of court). The third is the Toretta decision, where again- please cite any way in which rule 23 was applied in any "activist" manner?

There is muh more history of changes since 2021, but perhaps the most notable is the class action certification process.

What, specifically is "notable" about it? Because again the rules as revised are basically the same way all the other courts run things-- Delaware was just updating to modern language for consistency.

Rule 23 implies changes that the individual judge interprets.

Can you cite any such ones this specific judge has issued that are activist?

The histrionics regarding the Musk cases are the result, to a large extent, of the textual explanations attached to Chancellor McCormick's decisions.

Again- I asked for any examples at all of this judge being "activist" in any other case of hers at all

Because she's ruled on many cases. Surely if she's an "activist" judge you can give specific examples elsewhere?

If not there's no choice but to return the earlier conclusion--- folks are just calling any judge who makes a single ruling they dislike "activist judges" without having any ability to support that argument from anything else in the entire body of work of that judge.

In context, changes in those practices do reflect a major departure from tradition, which dates to 1792:
A Short History of the Court of Chancery - Court of Chancery - Delaware Courts - State of Delaware

The centuries-long history of corporate interests really had few major consequences until 2021.

The specific history, as described by USA Today some time ago was:
"Corporations also favor Delaware because case law has established the “business judgment rule,” which dictates that judges shouldn’t second-guess a business’ decisions when they are made in good faith and with due care, even if those decisions have negative consequences."

The 2021 revisions have largely eliminated that legacy, with the Musk Compensation decision being the most clear and unequivocal rejection of that case law.

Which 2021 rules, specifically, are you talking about here? Rule 23 has nothing to do with any of that.

Further-one of the fundamental elements of her ruling was the deal with Elon was not made in good faith.... instead she found it was made by a board that wasn't dealing at arms length, and didn't properly disclosure that or their close relationship with Elon to the voters.

Again you can disagree with that conclusion-- but it's based fundamentally in the entire fairness doctrine.

Which is NOT from 2021. It's not "new" and it's not "activist"

in fact it's from years before this specific judge was ever on the court. It's been around for decades

So again you appear to have googled a bunch of stuff you didn't understand then thrown it at the wall in hopes something would stick, without being able to be specific about anything at all.

. On the other hand, I did not address the case histories for Chancellor McCormick.

This may not be what you wanted

I mean- it was the literal question asked.

So you've now spent a fairly insane amount of time not answering it.

While broadening the claim that the ENTIRE COURT is "activist" without actually being able to give any examples, and only citing rules changes you're misunderstanding or misrepresenting the contents of and which you can't cite impacted the Elon/Toretta case specifically at all because again Entire Fairness is [B}not new[/B] it's been around for a long time.

FWIW, the only place other than Delaware being considered of which I know is Nevada.
Only Musk companies seen to regard Texas as a viable option at this time, since there is zero history and the new Texas law is structured to ensure continuing political control.

Yup--- that's why I voted no on that question (but YES on Elons compensation, FWIW).

I'd have happily voted Yes for Nevada (and said so here when Elon initially raised the idea of moving out of DE...) they have a solid business court system with a solid history. Texas... does not.

I hope that helps. Delaware corporations are not 'leaving in droves' and none are so imprudent as to announce such intentions. They are quite conscious that the corporate governance history in Delaware is no longer followed. That makes every CEO nervous, makes Boards nervous and makes 'errors and omissions' policies rather harder to acquire.

Primarily the entire fairness stuff (which again, has been around for decades) is simply there to encourage BoDs to make sure their paperwork and decision making is above board in cases where potential conflicts of interest exist... simply insure they're independent decisions reached fairly and at arms length with all voting parties fully informed and there's no issue and the doctrine won't apply. The VAST majority of cases that have come before the court in those decades of cases are not subject to it.

But if they're that worried, Nevada is an excellent alternative.

Last edited:
I do have an issue with it.

Given the proposed release prices at the unveiling, it smacks of “bait and switch”. Quite literally.

53390534516_cfc17583bd_z.jpg

I understand there’s been inflation. But the size of the price increase makes it border on opportunistic price gouging.

It may turn out to be the best course to maximize profits in the short term. I just worry about the optics long term. Certainly has dampened my enthusiasm for a new CyberTruck.

People made the same complaint about the Model 3 $35,000 trim that you are making about the Cybertruck $40,000 trim. It took more than a year of ramping up from late 2017 to early/mid 2019 for that lowest trim to show up.

Any time a new model comes out you are going to end up waiting 1 year minimum to get a super low price trim.

I'm not sure why you think the Cybertruck should have the lowest of 3 trims out yet.

1716692724893.png

In what way, specifically, is that "activist" or "political" against Elon or Tesla?

I ask because in looking up the change I not only see no such thing- I see it's primarily just clarifications to bring the existing state rules in alignment with Federal rules of Civil Procedure so that authorities interpreting the federal rule could be cited more easily as persuasive authority for the interpretation of Rule 23.

What, exactly, is "activist" about that?

Or did you just google "changes at the chancery" and repost whatever it spit out without checking if it's a substantive or activist change in actual fact?

Here's a breakdown from a law firm discussing these changes-- please point to which parts, specifically, are "activist" or anti-Tesla please?

Where's the activism exactly?

Is it in the room with us now?

People making allegedly factual claims they're then unable to in any way support should offend everyone.

Citation of "dismay" requested. Ideally from actual lawyers.

Since again they're mostly just aligning the delaware court with existing rules of civil procedure.

Further- the date on those rules YOU just linked to is months after the Elon compensation case was filed/certified so how is it "activist" let alone "relevant?"?

This link contains 0 mentions of Rule 23.

There's only 3 "notable" cases cited at all... two of which had nothing to do at all with class actions--- just cases requiring a company to honor the merger contract they signed (one being the twitter case-- where again the judge never ruled on the case at all since Elon knew he had no real chance to win that in any court and went through with his obligation in the end out of court). The third is the Toretta decision, where again- please cite any way in which rule 23 was applied in any "activist" manner?

What, specifically is "notable" about it? Because again the rules as revised are basically the same way all the other courts run things-- Delaware was just updating to modern language for consistency.

Can you cite any such ones this specific judge has issued that are activist?

Again- I asked for any examples at all of this judge being "activist" in any other case of hers at all

Because she's ruled on many cases. Surely if she's an "activist" judge you can give specific examples elsewhere?

If not there's no choice but to return the earlier conclusion--- folks are just calling any judge who makes a single ruling they dislike "activist judges" without having any ability to support that argument from anything else in the entire body of work of that judge.

Which 2021 rules, specifically, are you talking about here? Rule 23 has nothing to do with any of that.

Further-one of the fundamental elements of her ruling was the deal with Elon was not made in good faith.... instead she found it was made by a board that wasn't dealing at arms length, and didn't properly disclosure that or their close relationship with Elon to the voters.

Again you can disagree with that conclusion-- but it's based fundamentally in the entire fairness doctrine.

Which is NOT from 2021. It's not "new" and it's not "activist"

in fact it's from years before this specific judge was ever on the court. It's been around for decades

So again you appear to have googled a bunch of stuff you didn't understand then thrown it at the wall in hopes something would stick, without being able to be specific about anything at all.

I mean- it was the literal question asked.

So you've now spent a fairly insane amount of time not answering it.

While broadening the claim that the ENTIRE COURT is "activist" without actually being able to give any examples, and only citing rules changes you're misunderstanding or misrepresenting the contents of and which you can't cite impacted the Elon/Toretta case specifically at all because again Entire Fairness is [B}not new[/B] it's been around for a long time.

Yup--- that's why I voted no on that question (but YES on Elons compensation, FWIW).

I'd have happily voted Yes for Nevada (and said so here when Elon initially raised the idea of moving out of DE...) they have a solid business court system with a solid history. Texas... does not.

Primarily the entire fairness stuff (which again, has been around for decades) is simply there to encourage BoDs to make sure their paperwork and decision making is above board in cases where potential conflicts of interest exist... simply insure they're independent decisions reached fairly and at arms length with all voting parties fully informed and there's no issue and the doctrine won't apply. The VAST majority of cases that have come before the court in those decades of cases are not subject to it.

But if they're that worried, Nevada is an excellent alternative.
Wilson Sonsini is an American multinational law firm specializing in business, securities, venture capital, and intellectual property law.

They give their take on the chancellory court. For those who don't want to read this there isn't a simple answer. It's all depending on each companies best interests on whether to remain in Delaware or ever incorporate there to begin with.

My belief without evidence, but a strong suspicion is that friends of Elon are helping to form the new business court in Texas, and one of the bigger differences between this new court and Delaware is a new class of shares with up to 10 times the voting power can be issued post IPO, something Delaware doesn't allow.

There were/are a lot of Cathie Wood fans here. My advice is be very skeptical of any active stock picker who claims they are smarter than you and one can't hurt to be aware and knowledgeable about her past trade on Nvidia. Apparently, she had 1.3 million shares across all her funds (old news I'm sure to many veterans here, but I just read this and figured it can inform people here since it's been discussed and some folks seem to think she's a great market timer) and sold it starting around in Oct 2022 around near term lows. Her stake would've been worth 1.3+ billion now if she kept that. Obviously, shoulda/woulda/coulda, but her record hasn't been the best from previous discussions.

"Before going further, the elephant in the room when mentioning Wood and Nvidia NVDA in the same story is that she infamously exited the stock at precisely the wrong time, selling most of her stake prior to Nvidia’s meteoric ascent on the back of artificial intelligence demand."

"Her flagship fund, the ARK Innovation ETF ARKK, has dropped 17% this year,"

SPY up 12% YTD, Dow up 3.5%+ YTD, Nasdaq up 14%+ YTD

I mean, the results for that period speak for themselves unfortunately:

View attachment 1050585

Using current PPPs this graph charts gross domestic product (GDP) per capita for seven countries against the OECD average (which is 100). It shows that in 1976 the New Zealand GDP was above the OECD average, and the country ranked 12th out of 26 countries. By 2006 New Zealand had fallen to 83% of the average, and was ranked 22nd out of 30 OECD countries
Maybe. According to this source, New Zealand was ranked 30 on GPD / capita in 1976 and 25 in 2022: Historical GDP per Capita by Country | Statistics from the World Bank | 1960-2018 - knoema.com Anyway, correlation doesn't equal causation.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and unk45
If Texas screws their first big company, no other company will even consider Texas. I think it’s a reasonably low risk move.

Tesla is not Texas’ first big company. 55 Fortune 500 companies including Tesla are headquartered in Tx. Virtually all have significant operations in Tx. Austin metro is the second biggest semiconductor company cluster after the Bay Area. State GDP at $2 trillion is #3 after CA and NY.

Tesla incorporation in Tx would be a plus but let’s not get carried away. Texas will do well with or without Tesla incorporation.

Last edited:
from the 2023 sustainability report. NCM is listed in one part of the screen as

Nickel-Cobalt-Manganese which looks right to me and then in another section as
Nickel-Cathode-Manganese which looks like a misnomer to me, is that an accepted expansion of NCM?

View attachment 1050699
I saw this as well in two different places and just thought it was a typo. Very weird...maybe Drew WAS still needed. :) ;)

I'm not sure why you think the Cybertruck should have the lowest of 3 trims out yet.
I did not mean to imply that.

Had the pricing and range been anywhere close to the original numbers - adjusted for inflation - I’d either be in a CyberBeast right now or eagerly awaiting delivery of one. If 500 miles of range (est 250 miles towing) means sacrificing much of the truck bed, count me out. But at the very least, AWD is the lowest trim level I’d even consider.

Tesla is not Texas’ first big company. 55 Fortune 500 companies including Tesla are headquartered in Tx. Virtually all have significant operations in Tx. Austin metro is the second biggest semiconductor company cluster after the Bay Area. State GDP at $2 trillion is #3 after CA and NY.

Tesla incorporation in Tx would be a plus but let’s not get carried away. Texas will do well with or without Tesla incorporation.

Remember that state of headquarters is not the same as state of incorporation. It's actually hard to find companies incorporated there (TX). Largest TX companies I found. Maybe someone can find one here just for curiosity sake.

ExxonMobile - New Jersey
AT&T - Delaware
Dell - Delaware
Valero - Delaware
Texas Instruments - Delaware
Phillips 66 - Delaware

When @Knightshade is wrong, he admits it. When others argue, just to argue, it is not a good look. And you all know who you are.
None of us who are human are infallible. Even well-informed and competent people disagree on interpretations of information, but do tend to agree on established fact. Here it seems many who disagree with a given post tend to avoid checking fact.

Where serious disagreements happen among posters who do check facts they, in my opinion, tend to be about interpretations of a subjective nature including, as a rule nouns or adjectives that ascribe emotional content to factual events. Those almost invariably generate reduced factual understanding.

We also encounter problems when someone, like quite a few here, has direct information but is constrained by ethics or NDA from disclosing source identity. Those also seem to be ones that have evidence somewhere but only circumstantial.

Some of us who enter such disputes tend to overstate objections and by so doing escalate the disagreements. Those often seem to draw the ire of moderators precisely because they tend to personalize disagreement. Perhaps even the most fact-based disputes here suffer from that issue, primarily because they depart from fact and enter emotional diatribes. Some fo our best contributors seem to have fallen foul to that issue. We should all be more diligent to avoid that happening.

Finally, in the present day, in several countries formerly civilized discourse between different political views has degenerated into hostility. Personally, that has happened within my own family. Today, specifically, that affects me personally because today is my mother-in-laws 100th birthday party. In that event are three of her offspring who are proponents of political views anathema to the others. That means my eldest nephew and my brother-in-law no longer speak.

Here at TMC we should do all we can do to avoid importing opprobrium. In so doing we would lose even more of the wide discourse and debate that has long added insight to our investments, primarily TSLA, but also a number of others.

Having been involved in such an example recently I hope I take my own suggestions rather better than I have done from time to time.

As an ancient cynical phrase goes: "I resemble those comments"